"TO DO" list for my SUV

SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
edited October 2011 in Man Cave
I drive a '95 4Runner and want to make it cool.

here is my to do list:
Swap out California Catalytic-Converter for Performance Catalytic-Converter
Ram-Air intake
Platinum Spark Plugs
New Cat-Back exhaust
Turbo-Kit

I understand some of these are very lofty (Turbo kit mainly)

I need suggestions on alternative ideas or explanations on why any of the ideas I have would be stupid. I'm aiming for a slight increase in Horsepower and Fuel-Efficiency

Comments

• duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2011
    You are forgetting rims and a spoiler.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited August 2011
    How many miles are on this thing?
    Turbo kits are a big project,you may be better off with a light NOS kit for a little fun now and then.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    angryonion wrote: »
    How many miles are on this thing?
    Turbo kits are a big project,you may be better off with a light NOS kit for a little fun now and then.

It's weathered, 116K miles on it. I know Turbo's are a HUGE bitch to install, you need a new Manifold and all sorts of shit, I would do a Supercharger but that's a complete leach on gas.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited August 2011
    I would not bother with the turbo - I know the non turbo diesels of the same year do not like the turbo - even if they are turbo'd as standard at the factory, as the heads crack. I am pretty sure the petrol engine is very similar in design and suffer ssimilarly. What you want to do is get a Lexus 1uz-fe and drop that in, but they are popular swaps for a lot of toyota cars and trucks and can be thin on the ground.

In the UK, a well travelled road is to stick a Rover 3.5l / Buick 215. Even tho the engine has not been built in the USA since the '60's, you should be able to find one no probs from an old Rover or Landrover / Ranger Rover. As a Buick (and pontiac) engine, it had its problems, but Rover designed them out - any probs with them now are down to incorrect maintainance.

You would get up to around 170bhp out of this, but varients of the engine have existed upto 5.2l. The TVR version was a beast of an engine.

Its a well worn path for the swap and all of the parts are available. On top of that, it means the original engine is kept good if you want to swap back.

For the exhaust system, I would look into de-cating. The petrol version should not suffer too much from a drop in back pressure - it was in use before the cat was introduced. Save the cat so it can be swapped over for any testing the vehicle has to do.

Rather than modding the bonnet to put a scoop on it, put a forward facing wading snorkel on it - this has the same ram effect and you do not have to start fucking around chopping body work, painting, etc.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2011
    Put a big block in it.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    I would not bother with the turbo - I know the non turbo diesels of the same year do not like the turbo - even if they are turbo'd as standard at the factory, as the heads crack. I am pretty sure the petrol engine is very similar in design and suffer ssimilarly. What you want to do is get a Lexus 1uz-fe and drop that in, but they are popular swaps for a lot of toyota cars and trucks and can be thin on the ground.

In the UK, a well travelled road is to stick a Rover 3.5l / Buick 215. Even tho the engine has not been built in the USA since the '60's, you should be able to find one no probs from an old Rover or Landrover / Ranger Rover. As a Buick (and pontiac) engine, it had its problems, but Rover designed them out - any probs with them now are down to incorrect maintainance.

You would get up to around 170bhp out of this, but varients of the engine have existed upto 5.2l. The TVR version was a beast of an engine.

Its a well worn path for the swap and all of the parts are available. On top of that, it means the original engine is kept good if you want to swap back.

For the exhaust system, I would look into de-cating. The petrol version should not suffer too much from a drop in back pressure - it was in use before the cat was introduced. Save the cat so it can be swapped over for any testing the vehicle has to do.

Rather than modding the bonnet to put a scoop on it, put a forward facing wading snorkel on it - this has the same ram effect and you do not have to start fucking around chopping body work, painting, etc.

Good suggestions, very good, but I was hoping to work with the engine I already have. I may one day look into engine swaps. but thats a pretty hardcore modification in my opinion. seems impossible for me actually.

De-Cating is a good idea, but doesn't it make the car extremely loud? I'm sure I'd get pulled over if I passed a cop with the engine blaring that much.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011
    If you do decide to turbo-charge, I'd suggest piecing together your own kit instead of buying a turbo kit. And do a lot of research before you just slap one on.

Also, I'd suggest that you get some headers to go with your cat-back.

Cops here don't really bother people with straight-piped trucks even though they'll make your ears bleed if they pass you under a bridge. But that's probably because it's fairly common here in the south or something.
  • buttfuckbuttfuck Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2011
    yeah, a turbo on something like that would be too hard to install without a professional shop, and lots of money...the final product wouldn't be worth it either...that would be too heavy for serious performance