Psychiatrist, Not Getting Screwed Over by the CPA

GelidGelid New Arrival
edited August 2011 in Life
Today I'm going to the doctor's, and I've decided to mention my depression-like symptoms, and maybe score an appointment with a psychiatrist, so I can maybe talk about some greater issues I've been having. My main concern, is the lack of doctor-patient confidentiality, considering I'm a minor. I've been told that if I say something that might come off me having bad parents, the psychiatrist will call the Child Protection Agency, and I might get taken away from my parents. Since I don't want that shit happening, what should I avoid saying? Or am I just worrying about something that doesn't exist?

Comments

• blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited August 2011
    I think you're over thinking it; unless you say something that would point to serious abuse or neglect your parents should be kept out of it.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2011
    If you want to avoid the problem altogether, talk to your parents about it first. Then go to the doctor with them. It's the 'cool' thing these days for kids to have psychological disorders, so be wary of that.
  • GelidGelid New Arrival
    edited August 2011
    Ya, I talked to the doc about it while my mom was in the room, so she knows about the depression, I guess. I left my dad out, because he's a douchebag, which my doctor said in nicer words, hinting that it might be the source of the problem, though I doubt it. I got a referral for an "Adolescent Medicine" clinic. Anyone have any experience with anything like that? Apparently it's specifically for teenagers, I don't really know what to expect.
  • DarkhunterDarkhunter Regular
    edited August 2011
    Gelid wrote: »
    Ya, I talked to the doc about it while my mom was in the room, so she knows about the depression, I guess. I left my dad out, because he's a douchebag, which my doctor said in nicer words, hinting that it might be the source of the problem, though I doubt it. I got a referral for an "Adolescent Medicine" clinic. Anyone have any experience with anything like that? Apparently it's specifically for teenagers, I don't really know what to expect.

Its a dressed up term for psych ward.
  • GelidGelid New Arrival
    edited August 2011
    Nah, my pediatrician said that it was a top-notch place. I'll post back about it when I get back, in case anyone's wondering :confused:
  • ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
    edited August 2011
    Nah, my pediatrician said that it was a top-notch place. I'll post back about it when I get back, in case anyone's wondering :confused:

Yeahhhh, there's not going to be any internet access in there.
    edited August 2011

Bellevue is a top notch place as well...
  • ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
    edited August 2011
    Hmmm, no OP. He's probably drooling right now.
    edited August 2011
    ShadyTroll wrote: »
    Hmmm, no OP. He's probably drooling right now.

He's on some happy pills right now.