Where do you sell a stolen car?

OsirisOsiris Acolyte
edited November 2011 in Man Cave
If you've got a car and a key, but no title, what do you do?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Pack it up with explosives and find the nearest target.

But in reality hide the car and change the looks and get a fake number plate and sell the parts or the car in black market or just take the car and post ads on ebay and wait for some victim.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited August 2011
    Over Craigslist. Just say you'd prefer cash to anything else.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011
    Your local chop shop.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited August 2011
    good ol mexico. if not the south or west side of san anto.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited August 2011
    some junk yards take cars with out titles other wise ur need lots of money to get anouther vin number ect
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Set fire to it.
  • edited August 2011
    Out of town, over craigslist. You should probably read up on VIN numbers as well before you try and sell it, because that shit is likely to get you busted if you don't sell it properly. Anyway, take it to craigslist out of town and have the dude pay by cash. Try and change your appearence a little too so he can't get a good look at you. Once he tries to get the car legalized, he'll probably discover it's been stolen and hopefully he won't remember you enough to report you.

Or you could mutilate the car for it's parts and sell them separately. Or a chop shop, for sure.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    Over Craigslist. Just say you'd prefer cash to anything else.

How the fuck are you going to get someone fro Craigslist to give you cash for a car with no title dumbass?
    edited August 2011

How the fuck are you going to get someone fro Craigslist to give you cash for a car with no title dumbass?

People are stupid.
    edited August 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    People are stupid.

Yes they are, and you have given to fine examples of that stupidity ITT.
    edited August 2011
    Stop getting so :mad:, babe.
    edited August 2011
    Now why would a person get upset over pointing out your stupidity?
    edited August 2011
    You tell me.
    edited August 2011
    Your the one who came up with the nonsense why would I hazard a guess as to what you were thinking?
    edited August 2011
    You're the one who came up with the nonsense. Why would I hazard a guess as to what you were thinking?

I don't know. I was just speculating, to be honest. I'm assuming this is for a book that the OP is writing. :hai:
    edited August 2011
  • DarkhunterDarkhunter Regular
    edited August 2011
    This thread makes me :facepalm:

Seriously just dissemble the car into smaller pieces and sell off by the part. That way you avoid VIN numbers and sell each part for a higher price.
    edited August 2011
    Darkhunter wrote: »
    This thread makes me :facepalm:

Seriously just dissemble the car into smaller pieces and sell off by the part. That way you avoid VIN numbers and sell each part for a higher price.

Leave it to us to get the right answer.
    edited August 2011
    :facepalm:
  • ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
    edited August 2011
    Registering a Stolen Vehicle

Since there is a significant amount of confusion on the subject, I decided to write up a proper tutorial on the process.

Product: Stolen vehicle
    Principle: Vehicle you are *cloning* to allow you to sell the Product.
    Clone: The Product after it has been made into a clone of the Principle.

1: Identify the Product.
    You must know the make, model, year, and color to find a suitable Principle.

We shall assume the vehicle is a Hummer, H2, 2005, Black.

2: Decide where you want to sell the Clone.
    Consider what vehicles will sell well in your target area.
    You can not sell the Clone in the state where you found the Principle.

TIP: Selling a stolen car in CA is usually a bad idea because you will need a Principle that meets CA*s emissions control standards (many non-CA vehicles will not). This of course makes CA a perfect place to steal the products from (for resale in other states).

For our example, you will steal the Product Hummer in California and sell it in Nevada.

3: Locate the Principle.
    Since we*re selling in Nevada, we need a principle in another state.
    Let us assume we find one in Texas.

We*re selling a Hummer, H2, 2005, Black stolen in CA; therefore, we need to find an identical vehicle (a Hummer, H2, 2005, Black) in Texas. Such a vehicle can easily be found on ebay or craigslist.

4: Cloning Process
    Now we need to modify the Product to turn it into the Clone.

The Principle is in Texas – we need to clone the Texas plate. This is a prop that will be retained by the seller (explained in area 6).
    The Principle*s VIN is 5GRGN23U65H127272 – we need to produce VIN plates and stickers.

There are dozens of companies online that can make you vanity plates for any state for a reasonable fee, so that shouldn*t be an issue.
    The VIN plates are more complicated.

Picture of a VIN plate
    http://www.dwaycar.com/images/VIN%20Plate%20L.jpg

1: To produce the plate itself, you will need a piece of sheet metal cut to the proper size.
    2: Onto this piece of metal, you will screen print the *form*. This is represented by the black areas in the linked image.
    3: Using a set of letter and number punches, you will stamp the Principle vehicle*s VIN and other information onto the plates (the embossed areas in the linked image).
    4: Remove the old VINs (a screwdriver and pliers will usually be sufficient) and attach the new ones. Sometimes you will add them with rivets and sometimes with JB weld.

5: Your Papers
    Now that the VIN plates and license plate have been cloned, you will need the appropriate documents.

1: A fake vehicle title – which is fairly easy to produce.
    2: A fake registration card – just as easy.
    3: Odometer Certificate – also easy.
    4: A bill of sale will need to be produced (some states have a specific form for this).

6: The Sale
    1: You must sell the Clone to a private party (NO DEALERS).
    2: Sell the vehicle (for cash), transfer the Clone*s ownership to the new owner and hand over the forms.
    3: Remove the plates and keep them.
    If questioned, explain that many states require that a seller retain possession of his plates after selling the vehicle and that you must return the plates to the DMV within 30days.
    This is a convenient lie, largely because it*s true – many states DO require the seller to keep the plates and turn them in after the sale.

You*re done.
    You have the money, and the buyer has the vehicle and can register it in his home state.

In Summary:
    You stole a Hummer in California, disguised it as a Hummer from Texas, and sold it to a buyer in Nevada.
    California*s DMV knows that a hummer has been stolen; but they are not involved in the resale - nor do they know the vehicle*s new VIN.
    Texas*s DMV has no idea that the VIN has been registered in Nevada.
    Nevada*s DMV has no idea that the vehicle is stolen, since you cloned the VIN tags of a vehicle that hasn*t been stolen.

In essence, if either owner (of the Principle or the Clone) is pulled over, they have both legally registered their vehicle with their respective states. The plates are 100% real in both cases - which means there is almost no chance that the stolen vehicle will be identified.

The only forseeable circumstance under which the vehicle could be identified as stolen, would be if the owner of the cloned vehicle (who lives in Nevada) was arrested in Texas. Even then, the vehicle would only be identified if the police ran the VIN in Texas; which they would only do if they already suspected that the vehicle was a clone.

http://www.shadowrx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699
    edited August 2011
    1: A fake vehicle title – which is fairly easy to produce.

Try fakig the raised seal that my state and many others place on certificates of title.
    2: A fake registration card – just as easy.

Now fake the state BMV's DB records to match your fake title and registration.
    3: Odometer Certificate – also easy.

Complete with notary seal as required by most states?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2011
    TDR is right. This thread is retarded.
    edited August 2011
    OK, look, everyone ITT but one person has missed it entirely. Car theft is a multi-billion dollars industry. (Using the FBI's average valuation of $6,505 per stolen vehicle, the 794,616 vehicles stolen during 2009 caused estimated property losses of $5.2 billion.)

Now if the figure of $6,505 is even the wholesale book value figure what you could get per car, after all of your expenses, if you tried anything like anyone has suggested ITT. Not to mention how caught you would be if you tried just about any of the BI's ITT yet alone on any sort of scale.

On the other hand if you chop and part a car then there is no need for title, registration, odometer, statement, or to risk detection of the forgery of said documents. Now take a car to a scrap yard all legal like and hey will give you between $.10 and $.15 per pound depending on your area, the current price of metals, and how honest their scales are. So for a car like say a 92 Pontiac Pontiac Bonneville, which weighs in around 3,300 pounds you would get between $300 to $500 scrap at the auto wrecking yard. Now that buy is going to pull all the working parts that wear out on other peoples shit and sell it before he crunches the rest of the shit and make a nice profit.

Well how do you think the 5.2 billion per year car theft industry does it? Pretty much the same way, chop, part, sell everything but the dash area with the VIN plate. The other two areas, the block and the doors can be dealt with by grinding or drilling off the door plates.

So now that all of you have come up with 101 ways to go to jail for Grand Theft Auto you now have the answer. It really is not that hard to figure out if a junk man can do it.
    edited August 2011
    OK, look, everyone ITT but one person has missed it entirely. Car theft is a multi-billion dollars industry. (Using the FBI's average valuation of $6,505 per stolen vehicle, the 794,616 vehicles stolen during 2009 caused estimated property losses of $5.2 billion.)

Now if the figure of $6,505 is even the wholesale book value figure what you could get per car, after all of your expenses, if you tried anything like anyone has suggested ITT. Not to mention how caught you would be if you tried just about any of the BI's ITT yet alone on any sort of scale.

On the other hand if you chop and part a car then there is no need for title, registration, odometer, statement, or to risk detection of the forgery of said documents. Now take a car to a scrap yard all legal like and hey will give you between $.10 and $.15 per pound depending on your area, the current price of metals, and how honest their scales are. So for a car like say a 92 Pontiac Pontiac Bonneville, which weighs in around 3,300 pounds you would get between $300 to $500 scrap at the auto wrecking yard. Now that buy is going to pull all the working parts that wear out on other peoples shit and sell it before he crunches the rest of the shit and make a nice profit.

Well how do you think the 5.2 billion per year car theft industry does it? Pretty much the same way, chop, part, sell everything but the dash area with the VIN plate. The other two areas, the block and the doors can be dealt with by grinding or drilling off the door plates.

So now that all of you have come up with 101 ways to go to jail for Grand Theft Auto you now have the answer. It really is not that hard to figure out if a junk man can do it.

Exactly.
  • edited August 2011
    Your local chop shop.
    this X 1 million
    edited August 2011

Darkhunter wrote: »
    Exactly.

As per usual I agree with myself.
    edited August 2011
    As per usual I agree with myself.

:facepalm:
  • DannyOceanDannyOcean New Arrival
    edited November 2011
    Just to contribute some other info to this thread, parting a car out is the best and easiest way to ensure that you'll get the most money from it.

For instance, I am part of the local Euro scene here, and if you can get onto a few car specific forums, there are always people looking for random parts. I own several cars that I have parted out over the years.
  • edited November 2011
    How long does it take to part a whole car?

What about getting rid of it as soon as possible?
  • DannyOceanDannyOcean New Arrival
    edited November 2011
    It depends on the car and the local (or national) community. I part out BMWs and I can have one down to a shell, which goes to a scrap yard (VIN-less), in about 3-4 weeks. It nets about $2000-$3000, depending on the condition of the car and interest. I'm dealing in late 80s Bimmers here, mind you, so the enthuiast community is strong here in the US, and parts are becoming more valuable.