help with Belkin Basic Wireless USB Adapter

white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
i have a Belkin Basic Wireless USB Adapter every thing i read said it was for laptops. which is odd because why wouldnt it be for desktops as well

my problem is almost every other day the speed drops from 54 mbps to 36 mbps and some times even 28 mbps . mostly its 36mbps to fix this i restart the computer and it back to 54 sometimes its gets so bad that web pages wont even load. when this happens i have to go into adapter settings and switch wireless mode from bgn to bg or visa versa. it will work for a few days then ill have to switch back its very annoying the driver on the cd didnt work for me so i had to manually find it and it took forever to get it working.
sometimes i can fix it by unplugging and replugging in the adapter or reconnecting to the wifi

the weirdest thing tho is it didnt come with an extension usb cable and it wouldnt work when i directly plugged it in the the computer. i had a female to double male cable kinda like one to power an external harddrive so i tryied it and found out it wont work when its only on one usb port not even with a extension with one plug. i tryied all of my ports. all the product pictures iv seen show it working on one extension cable

can any one help with this

Comments

• EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited August 2011
    That's strange that it didn't come with a female-male cable. You will probably need one. I would check your driver settings and make sure there aren't any options for powersave checked off. If there was something to check for 54mbs only. What is the range usually between router and adapter?

Honestly you will never get great performance out of those things, I had one that was sufficient but then again I have a 10mb downlink speed which is around 1.2MBs and gets me going just fine unless I'm torrenting.

Google for custom firmware or options to overvolt the adapter since its USB powered, voltage could be the issue as well as cable length.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited August 2011
    Check to make sure your cpu is working properly. Often times problems like you are experiencing are due to your computer over heating. Feel the top of your tower, if it is running properly it shouldn't feel warm to the touch. If it is, simply submerge your tower in a bucket of ice water. The manufactures seals will keep your chips from being damaged. Remove your computer from the water and dry it in a 250 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Chances are you are getting low signal strength. Try moving closer to your router, chances are your problem should correct itself.
  • edited August 2011
    Sounds like you're not close enough to the router, like the Dak just mentioned. A drop to 36mbps isn't really that bad anyway, it's not like that's exactly slow :P
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited August 2011
    im using win 7 i cant get closer to the router its upstaires and i live in the basment of my fiancias grand fathers house i think im going to try and find a cheap wireless pci card

i do have a cable router of my own i can use when i try to use it its goes to a comcast activation page asking for account number (which i have) not sure if it would cost more money. not an option if it does

at one time i did have it connected and bridged the connections it seemed to work better but then after a week it started doing the same thing

i forgot to mention with out the dual usb cable the connection would stay on for a few minutes then discconect

oh and if i was going to dip it in water which is a very dumb suggestion id use rice to dry it :)
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Get yourself a regular usb extension cable firstly. Secondly I would look on google for home made Wifi antennae that use woks, the wok acts as a focusing lens for the radio signal. Basically you connect the device to a extension cable, then place it in front of the wok and aim it toward your router. Normally it is enough to amplify the signal to a usable level. Like i said earlier there is plenty of info to be found by a simple google search.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited August 2011
    kinda like a pringles can i have many single usb etesin cables i spliced most of them to my orginal xbox

the computer task bar shows full wifi bars