Sesame Street pair Bert and Ernie 'will not marry'

blindbatblindbat Regular
edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14504208
The makers of Sesame Street say characters Bert and Ernie will not marry in a same-sex ceremony despite an online petition calling for the union.

Campaigners say the best friends should marry as a way to encourage tolerance of gay people.

Nearly 7,000 have signed the petition, with more than 3,000 joining a Bert and Ernie Get Married Facebook page.

A statement from the show's makers said: "They remain puppets and do not have a sexual orientation."

But they conceded that the pair are "male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics".

The confirmed bachelors have lived together for 40 years and sleep in the same bedroom, albeit in single beds.

"Bert and Ernie are best friends," the statement from Sesame Workshop added. "They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves.

The online petition states: "We are not asking that Sesame Street do anything crude or disrespectful," adding, "It can be done in a tasteful way. Let us teach tolerance of those that are different."

Sesame Street was created by TV producer Joan Ganz Cooney and psychologist Lloyd Morrisett in 1969 and gained a huge following, led by the creations of master puppeteer Jim Henson.

Beloved characters include Elmo, the Cookie Monster and Big Bird.

It is still watched in more than 140 countries and averages 120 million viewers worldwide.

wtf is this shit? good they decided not to make them get married . fuck you gay-tards fuck you i don't wanna tolerate you fags.

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2011
    If Bert and Ernie were in a relationship, they're in twin beds for a reason.
    Because Bert hogs the bed and snores like a pigeon???
  • ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
    edited August 2011
    Thank God, we don't need to see more faggotry on tv.
  • edited August 2011
    Lol...:facepalm:
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited August 2011
    I really don't understand this need to turn things with no sexual connotation into a gay thing. This weird movement needs to stop. I feel like its Rome all over again.
  • edited August 2011
    "They remain puppets and do not have a sexual orientation."
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Wtf is wrong with everyone, leave the damn puppets alone.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011
    Fucking gays trying to corrupt our children's minds. :angry:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    Nearly 7,000 have signed the petition, with more than 3,000 joining a Bert and Ernie Get Married Facebook page.

LMAO, so 10,000 fags want something big fucking deal. Kudos to the producers for basically telling them to go pound salt up their asses with both fists.

Honestly, what a bunch of self absorbed little pricks. Sesame Street is a project that has been on the air for 42 years. The creators developed it for the purpose of teaching children basic skills like reading and counting along with decent values and the foundations for critical thinking skills.

It was not created to further the cause of special intrests groups such as the gay community. If fags would just live their lives and suck dick (as they like to do) rather than trying to make the majority bend to their way of thinking and their values they would have a much easier go of it. But when they try to force mainstream society to teach our children their value system all they do is create animosity from the mainstream which is pointed directly at their faggot liberal foreheads.
  • edited August 2011
    I guess you could call gays special interest, but it seems to detract from the seriousness of other special interest groups like the ones trying to get rid of environmental and consumer/worker/construction/etc safety regulations, or trying to get the federal government to give them a break on paying taxes.

And I think we're taking this too seriously.

It's not as if there are a bunch of gay people out there working hard to try and get the producers of the show to cave and make Bert and Ernie gays. It's more like someone decided to send out a half serious petition which I bet was more about making fun of the at times questionable relationship between Bert and Ernie, and a lot of other people thought it was funny and signed on.

I mean... it's facebook.

EDIT: Nevermind, upon actually reading the article in its entirety, I have discovered that at least one person seriously thinks that a gay Bert and Ernie will make people tolerate gays more. I think it will just make some parents stop showing Sesame Street to their kids.

Anyway, again, it's 7000 people (not including the facebook group) have signed it. That's a pretty small portion of the gay community.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    I guess you could call gays special interest, but it seems to detract from the seriousness of other special interest groups like the ones trying to get rid of environmental and consumer/worker/construction/etc safety regulations, or trying to get the federal government to give them a break on paying taxes.

And I think we're taking this too seriously.

It's not as if there are a bunch of gay people out there working hard to try and get the producers of the show to cave and make Bert and Ernie gays. It's more like someone decided to send out a half serious petition which I bet was more about making fun of the at times questionable relationship between Bert and Ernie, and a lot of other people thought it was funny and signed on.

I mean... it's facebook.

EDIT: Nevermind, upon actually reading the article in its entirety, I have discovered that at least one person seriously thinks that a gay Bert and Ernie will make people tolerate gays more. I think it will just make some parents stop showing Sesame Street to their kids.

Anyway, again, it's 7000 people (not including the facebook group) have signed it. That's a pretty small portion of the gay community.

I side with this, it seems like a stupid petition that went viral.
  • edited August 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    I side with this, it seems like a stupid petition that went viral.

Much more elegant way to put it.

I can never sum things up as well as others. :(
    edited August 2011
    "They remain puppets and do not have a sexual orientation."
    Lolololol! Well played. :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Much more elegant way to put it.

I can never sum things up as well as others. :(

Hey bro cheer up, at least you're not a Paki. Come on TS some time, would love to chat with you.
    edited August 2011
    I would marry snuffaluffagus if i could. He's very well endowed if you know wuhimsayin
    Oh I know what you're saying.....That nigga be packin a monster trunk. ;)