We're Hiring, New Features and Tons of Updates — Totseans

We're Hiring, New Features and Tons of Updates

DfgDfg Admin
edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I can't reveal most of the stuff mainly because it's a hidden project and we're still working on it. For all the haters, Totse.info got a major boost thanks to Voice Communication. We're more organized and we will soon have everything working.

But before that, we're doing some overhauling regarding mods. If you still haven't read this http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php/14476-How-to-Get-Modded-on-Totse.info then do it. I changed the procedure for making mods and no longer will mods be added from here and there. I need people who are confident about themselves and are passionate about helping out.

So, to increase your chances, I would suggest try TeamSpeak or Skype. You might hate this change but trust me you will get real time training on forums, on rules and you will get to learn things and you will get to feature on podcasts, videos and what not. Give it a try, if I can do it, I am sure you can as well.

The mods on Totse.info will have two things as a bonus:
A) Totse E-mails
B) Totse Blogs (You will get to have your own blog on Totse CMS)


Apart from that you will get help regarding your IRL projects as well and most of all you will have direct access to Global Mods and Admins.


That's the first step, next you will see more staff changes and we're going to streamline the Totse.info theme a bit more.

We have started working on the Totse Mag project and you will see something soon from it and if that's not enough thanks to TS3 we got this thing rolling out as well: http://www.totse.info/cms/content/self-igniting-molotov-cocktails

There are literally tons of things going around in the background and I am just doing my best to keep a lid on them. If you want to be a part of it, just for join TS and we can talk about it. The platform is secure and everything is encrypted. And it's controlled by me and I have direct access to it.

So, you don't have to worry about a thing. If you need a voice changer that can be arranged. And if you don't have a Mic etc, just use the chat box.

EDIT: Again, the point of TeamSpeak IS TO get people up to speed. Almost all the mods on Totse.info have been on TS. It doesn't if they stay longer but it helps the team greatly in understanding each other and preventing conflicts. If you don't like this policy, I am sure we can figure something out but at least give it a try.

Comments

  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    The collaboration that can be accomplished via voice is amazing.
  • edited August 2011
    The collaboration that can be accomplished via voice is amazing.

    I couldn't agree more. It's the same when playing games, too. It just allows for a shit load more organization, and everyone gets to voice their opinions quickly. Conversation moves a lot faster, and it's generally better than using text to communicate.

    Also, I'm looking forward to these new updates :) I already started using my blog last week, but I didn't get any feedback when I posted a thread about it :( Fuck it though, I'll keep writing them. Furthermore, add the index page to the list of things to change ;)
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    All of this sounds very interesting! I really like the idea of these staff blogs too. I feel that a lot of the time, people can't voice their opinions very easily but a blog allows people to get their thoughts out into the open. It's also very good for others to read :) I look forward to seeing it.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    All of this sounds very interesting! I really like the idea of these staff blogs too. I feel that a lot of the time, people can't voice their opinions very easily but a blog allows people to get their thoughts out into the open. It's also very good for others to read :) I look forward to seeing it.

    Regular users are not only welcome to join us in TeamSpeak we encourage it. Give us your ideas and thoughts in real time. shoot the shit with us, have few lulz, and do a little bonding in the name of the Totse community.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited August 2011
    :facepalm: <<< this
  • ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
    edited August 2011
    Just a word of advice, don't mod tachosomoza. I wouldn't be surprised if he has hinted or asked w/o shame to mod BI here. If you wanna know more details, PM me.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2011
    :facepalm: <<< this

    this.


    :facepalm:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    I don't see why people oppose Teamspeak. I suppose to some it seems an Elitist circlejerk but genuinely, it's a good real time forum to discuss where to go with &T. The blogs made me chuckle, but I'll see how I could use one.
    All I can say is give Teamspeak a go. It's less personal than Skype, and does help.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    guys like BHD and Fagleeky are afraid to use TS as they might have to admit they are not the internet cool kids they try to act like.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited August 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    this.


    :facepalm:

    ^^^ Pretty much that.


    :facepalm:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    When a person objects to something by simply posting cookie cutter smiley their objections are held to be meaningless. That or they are afraid to state the true reason they object.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited August 2011
    ^^^ :facepalm: <<< that!
  • edited August 2011
    Why must people shit all over a perfectly good thread with facepalm smileys instead of posting sensible replies? It's a very backwards idea, why not chip in and offer a decent reply?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Why must people shit all over a perfectly good thread with facepalm smileys instead of posting sensible replies? It's a very backwards idea, why not chip in and offer a decent reply?

    Ok.

    Mods don't need totse emails or blogs. Make articles and guides here instead of wasting time with a separate blog. Get a gmail account. There you go. You don't need another email account now. You can also use PMs on here instead of email. There's no need for either of these two things. They're a distraction.

    Dfg has been blathering on about all his "super secret" plans since he got here. If you have plans, tell people what they are so they can help. Saying you're working on secret shit ALL THE TIME is pointless and retarded, but that's what we should expect from a mudslime. He wants people to think he's busy with shit. He's not. If he is busy he has no idea how to be efficient or he's too busy posting porn threads.

    Teamspeak is fucking retarded and beside the point of totse. If you want to communicate, use the forum. The whole point of a forum is to let people post when they want to, i.e. someone in the UK can post when it's more convenient rather than having to post at 4am their time for someone in another country. Teamspeak is a waste of time. If you want to promote a forum, use the forum. Plus you already have IRC so teamspeak is redundant anyway.

    Want to know what would really help? If you got the staff to write guides for 4 hours per week instead of wasting time talking about shit they'll never do. Having 4 hours per week of MANDATORY circlejerk meetings on an internet chat program is beyond retarded. It's a waste of time for mods. Furthermore it creates a mod circlejerk and a "kewl kids klub" that sounds a lot like what zok did on irc.

    Literally everything about dfg's post is retarded. He's going to select mods just like zok did - picking from the irc LOL o i mean TEAMSPEAK circlejerk.

    You want the site to work? Get people to post shit instead of talking on headsets.

    until then :facepalm:
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited August 2011
    ^^^ fucking that!

    That nigga invited me to be a mod, but i had to go to teamspeak.

    it was required. lol

    Get the fuck out of here!
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    My opinion isn't as harsh as fanglekai's, but I agree with a good amount of his rant. My main gripe is that while teamspeak can be a useful tool, it shouldn't be forced on a forum.


    This however...
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Want to know what would really help? If you got the staff to write guides for 4 hours per week instead of wasting time talking about shit they'll never do. Having 4 hours per week of MANDATORY circlejerk meetings on an internet chat program is beyond retarded. It's a waste of time for mods. Furthermore it creates a mod circlejerk and a "kewl kids klub" that sounds a lot like what zok did on irc.
    You can't force content. If you make articles a chore, they'll end up being uninspired and boring. Something that will be whipped up right before a deadline.
    Again, encourage not force.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2011
    My opinion isn't as harsh as fanglekai's, but I agree with a good amount of his rant. My main gripe is that while teamspeak can be a useful tool, it shouldn't be forced on a forum.


    This however...

    You can't force content. If you make articles a chore, they'll end up being uninspired and boring. Something that will be whipped up right before a deadline.
    Again, encourage not force.

    You're right, but writing for 4 hours per week would be vastly more productive than talking on a headset for 4 hours.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    You're right, but writing for 4 hours per week would be vastly more productive than talking on a headset for 4 hours.

    If you say so, but to bad you are wrong. Unless of course you can't listen, talk, and type at the same time. But the bottom line is nobody is forcing anyone to use TS. If you don't want to then don't. You are not a constructive entity in any event so please stay out of TS.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    I like the idea of teamspeak. I was on there last night and had fun chatting to the people there. It is also useful for more serious stuff.

    The emails are really no big deal. They literally take a minute to setup. It's just an added extra. Presumably a bunch of email domains came with the hosting.

    The Blogs are an interesting concept that we may as well try out. They may yeild unexpected results.

    Everything is reversible. We may as well at least have a go.

    It's clear you are trying to polarize the members here and most of us know this. We got rid of Spectral, then you came along to continue his work.

    We should give you a blog fanglekai that way you can bitch and moan about how shit everything is and spare us all.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    I like the idea of teamspeak. I was on there last night and had fun chatting to the people there. It is also useful for more serious stuff.

    The emails are really no big deal. They literally take a minute to setup. It's just an added extra. Presumably a bunch of email domains came with the hosting.

    The Blogs are an interesting concept that we may as well try out. They may yeild unexpected results.

    Everything is reversible. We may as well at least have a go.

    It's clear you are trying to polarize the members here and most of us know this. We got rid of Spectral, then you came along to continue his work.

    We should give you a blog fanglekai that way you can bitch and moan about how shit everything is and spare us all.

    Very well put my friend.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited August 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Why must people shit all over a perfectly good thread with facepalm smileys instead of posting sensible replies? It's a very backwards idea, why not chip in and offer a decent reply?

    Because its fucking stupid. The 'if you want to mod, get on teamspeak' is, as fanglekai put it, little more than the same as zok and his shit crew in IRC. Its akin to hiring some one to drive a truck based upon how well they can sing. Completly irrelevent to what is at hand. Sure, when you are in a team and have some kind of shared goal, you need a method of communication.

    Well blow me down if this whole site and more than 90% of its activity is dedicated to the forum. Where we communicate. Every second spend on verbal or IRC detracts from the forum - if you are discussing site business, do it on the fucking site. How can anything every be clear and transparent (as was stated at the begining) if the vast majority of the decision making process is just not available.

    If you must play with nerd tools, store the IRC logs as text files and the voice com as files. At least then you are adding all the time.

    As for
    If you say so, but to bad you are wrong. Unless of course you can't listen, talk, and type at the same time. But the bottom line is nobody is forcing anyone to use TS. If you don't want to then don't. You are not a constructive entity in any event so please stay out of TS.

    Well, if you can fully take part in a conversation with several people at the same time and write accademic quality (which any text file needs to aspire to for it to be useful to anyone but children) hats off to you. With regards to the forcing issue and 'nobody forcing anyone to use TS', you will see that DFG is forcing mods and those aspiring to be mods to use teamspeak.

    Now, I did offer some advice very recently. Cut the mod team down to 3. The site does not need anymore. It seems it is used as little more than a belly tickle to get users to stay or be on side.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    @ dr rocker

    The purpose of TeamSpeak in regard to new mods is to allow the rest of the staff to speak with them first. Verbal communication is much more effective for the purpose of determining a persons true personality and to ascertain if they are the type of person who should be given the responsibility that comes with being a totse staff member.

    Just like in the real world we have standards that we are applying to the selection process. Just like in real life if you do not like the interviewing process from a particular employer you are not required to apply. Just like in the real world once you accept a position there are requirements to hold that position.

    If any of this does not meet with your liking you are free not to apply as a totse staff member. But the bottom line is the staff has decided that no user will be added to the staff unless that are willing to speak with the current staff in TeamSpeak prior to being given the position. If you find this to be unreasonable I suggest you start a company and try hiring your staff solely on text only communication. Should you be daft enough to attempt this please get back to us on how it worked out for you.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited August 2011
    @ dr rocker

    The purpose of TeamSpeak in regard to new mods is to allow the rest of the staff to speak with them first. Verbal communication is much more effective for the purpose of determining a persons true personality and to ascertain if they are the type of person who should be given the responsibility that comes with being a totse staff member.

    Verbal communication is important for finding out a lot of things - how fast some one can think on their feet being one. However, I do fail to see how modding here is any great responsability. Here, the whole system is based upon text. The only thing that needs to be timely here is the banning of spammer, bots etcetera until some one who is in a position to make a final decision if an apeal is made is around to review anything that needs to be reviewed. The way it went at the original place was that some one had knowledge and a bit of respect. It worked.

    It could not be better put than how it was by William Faulkner:
    A writers only responsiblity is to his art. He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one...

    A telephone interview for a website that is supposed to have anonimity at its core?
    Just like in the real world we have standards that we are applying to the selection process. Just like in real life if you do not like the interviewing process from a particular employer you are not required to apply. Just like in the real world once you accept a position there are requirements to hold that position.

    And just as in the real world, their are things I want to do and things I do not want to do. I think as soon as was in moderated environments on the internet, I knew I would not want to be a mod. The only pleasures that could possible bring would be a stroking of e-penis or a raging of e-penis from holding the hammer. I dont see how anything more than can be got from being a forum member could be got from being a mod other than those things.

    I dont know, having never wanted to mod a forum I do not know how it is. Maybe telling women you are a mod on a forum gets them wet?

    However, that aside, placing another barrier in the place of those who do wish to be mods and have something to offer is in no way helpful. All that is coming across to me is a confused and somewhat nasty message. Lets look at DFG's rules for mods.
    Dfg wrote: »
    [*]Experience: We prefer users with clean slates but if you experience in some field, like if you work in the Army and have combat Xp and you want to help the community you may have a better chance of becoming a mod, but you must at least ace the other points.

    So are we saying here we want people here with clean slates and no experience? If I was experienced in a field and was thinking about being a mod, how would I feel if I read that and took from it that I must ' at least ace the other points'? Does this mean some one with no experience is placed on level ground with me by staff, and that in actual fact that means my experience means fuck all? It confuses me that you can more than ace something. I always thought to ace something was to do it perfectly. Doing something better than perfect? Thats like you building a machine that would make us travell faster than the speed of light.

    If any of this does not meet with your liking you are free not to apply as a totse staff member. But the bottom line is the staff has decided that no user will be added to the staff unless that are willing to speak with the current staff in TeamSpeak prior to being given the position. If you find this to be unreasonable I suggest you start a company and try hiring your staff solely on text only communication. Should you be daft enough to attempt this please get back to us on how it worked out for you.

    I do have the right not to apply to be a staff member, but as I stated above, its something I have no desire to be. I refer your 'the staff have decided' back to another opening mantra of this place 'the users decide'. The two are in direct conflict. Again, a confused message. Is the community community lead, or is it staff lead? All I have seen is a change in user titles to hide what has been said - to many mods.

    With regards to your suggestion of starting a company and hiring soley based on text communication, my buiness revolves around face to face communication so thats a non starter. I simply could my trust them with my customers. However, a forum is different. A have never seen a genuine member take offense to any true wrong once it has been righted and the appropriate actions taken.

    I have however found, that both outside suppliers can offer excelent service to me without either of us ever speaking, only communicating via email. Sure, not many, but those that are comfortable in that environment and can actually parley in it have no problems.

    Pretty much like how a forum moderator should be.

    However, I do understand there are a lot of lonely people in the world who will go to quite some leangths to vocally interact with another human being. Quite a few of them end up buying parrots.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011
    Why doesn't the community vote for who the mods will be?
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    Why doesn't the community vote for who the mods will be?
    Because if we did that then fatty would already be the admin of the site.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011
    Because if we did that then fatty would already be the admin of the site.

    I doubt that. You should have more faith in us than that.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    I doubt that. You should have more faith in us than that.
    Oh yeah? http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php/10229-FATTY_MCFUCKFACE-for-admin
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011

    Yeah I'm sure all those people, including Dfg, would vote for Fatty in a real mod vote. :rolleyes:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    Why doesn't the community vote for who the mods will be?
    1. Because this a privately owned site and Hellish will decide who is admin and the admin he chooses will decide who are mods.
    2. Because unlike IRL the "residents" of an online community do not have a vested interest in the long term welfare of the community. In other words a Democratic Republic works in the real world because if the people put morons in charge they get fucked and there is no escaping it. But in an online community if the "people" put morons in charge when everything turns to shit they simply stop logging on and create a new account on a different site.
    3. Because that is just stupid as shown by 1 and 2.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited August 2011
    1. Because this a privately owned site and Hellish will decide who is admin and the admin he chooses will decide who are mods.
    2. Because unlike IRL the "residents" of an online community do not have a vested interest in the long term welfare of the community. In other words a Democratic Republic works in the real world because if the people put morons in charge they get fucked and there is no escaping it. But in an online community if the "people" put morons in charge when everything turns to shit they simply stop logging on and create a new account on a different site.
    3. Because that is just stupid as shown by 1 and 2.

    I think a lot of the users on here have a "vested interest in the long term welfare of the community" as you call. A lot of people like this place and would rather not see it turn to shit.

    I think you're just scared you wouldn't get voted for. :o
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    I think a lot of the users on here have a "vested interest in the long term welfare of the community" as you call. A lot of people like this place and would rather not see it turn to shit.

    I think you're just scared you wouldn't get voted for. :o

    You are entitled to your opinion.

    But that does not change the facts nor does it change how the mods will be selected.
Sign In or Register to comment.