I love finding silver coins in my change.

buddhabuddha Regular
edited September 2011 in Life
Bought smokes last night and my change was $0.61.

When he handed me my change it sounded funny, I looked and there it was, a silver quarter.

At today's spot prices that's $7.50, it's like the gave me the smokes and paid me $3 to take them.

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Nicely done ;) we only get Euro coins or Jersey crap here in the UK :(
  • edited August 2011
    It sure is a sign of a debased currency that your 25c coin from some years back is a 7.50 coin today.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    It sure is a sign of a debased currency that your 25c coin from some years back is a 7.50 coin today.
    ^This

I wonder if I can see silver coin in PK. Hey, Buddha take a picture of the coin.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited September 2011
    Australia stopped making our coins out of silver, because they were worth more in silver than they were in our actual currency (for example, 50c was worth about 65c.)
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited September 2011
    ^ same here with our penny, the copper value was $.024 not too long ago, but back in 1982 they changed the composition from 95% copper to some other crap. About half the pennies you get in change are still the old type though.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited September 2011
    I know we used to have a "melennium" $10 note that people would buy for $20, I got a few of them as change.

In the UK, the scrap value of a 2p coin is currently a little over 3P, finding someplace willing to melt one down is the problem.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited September 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    ^ same here with our penny, the copper value was $.024 not too long ago, but back in 1982 they changed the composition from 95% copper to some other crap. About half the pennies you get in change are still the old type though.
    Pennies made after 1982 are copper plated zinc now.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited September 2011
    thats because it illegle to melt the coins goverment property ect
  • edited September 2011
    Why do the shopkeepers/tellers give them to you then? Unless they miss it. If I were them I'd go through my till and exchange all the silvers I found with the usual ones of my own.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    I found a few euro notes knocking about yesterday. 40 Euros all together. I got £31 all together for them. I thought it was supposed to be £34 or something, but I guess they charge you for taking the money in.

£3 to get money, really?
  • edited September 2011
    I have a ton of pound coins here, but because banks won't exchange coins they're pretty useless, unless I end up back there :(
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    Lysdexic wrote: »
    I know we used to have a "melennium" $10 note that people would buy for $20, I got a few of them as change.

In the UK, the scrap value of a 2p coin is currently a little over 3P, finding someplace willing to melt one down is the problem.

Melt them yourself.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited September 2011
    Why do the shopkeepers/tellers give them to you then? Unless they miss it. If I were them I'd go through my till and exchange all the silvers I found with the usual ones of my own.

It isn't very common to find them in regular change, but it does happen every so often, usually dimes though. Most people also don't know to look for them or even what to look for.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    Gotta love silver. I got 90 bucks the other day from a pawn shop for 3 silver forks.

^Crack whore thief
  • mandingomandingo Regular
    edited September 2011
    wish i had gold to be honest
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited September 2011
    Nice shitty reply dude, Silver is still better, if you would have spent $2000 2 years ago 1000 on gold and 1000 on silver, the silver would be worth more than 2x that, the gold only about 50% increase.