Things that can be hacked (Cracked article)

TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
edited September 2011 in Tech & Games
The article can be found here.

This just goes to show that if something is on a wireless network somebody will find a way to break into it. Anybody have an info on hacking into cars?

Comments

• RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited September 2011
    The way I see it is, if something has an Operating System, it can be hacked. All you've got to do is find a way in, which is sometimes a LOT easier than you'd think. Things like the ATM and the defibrilator can be hacked because the people who make them don't EXPECT them to be hacked. They don't implement security measures, and nor do the companies who use the products. It's all just plug-in and go, making it easy for attackers.
  • edited September 2011
    ^ Not time to panic. It's time to keep your eyes open for hackable systems and have some fun :D
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited September 2011
    What about hotel door locks? They scan your little key-card and put a new password on it when you check in right? So they would also need to update the password on the door lock? Not sure if I'm right about that, but if I am you could put a password onto a card and change all the door locks to be opened with that card.

Sorry I don't know all the technical terms. :o
  • edited September 2011
    ^ That's something I haven't actually thought of before. I don't know how hotel door locks work, except from the fact that they scan the information from the card to unlock the door which suggests that they either use the same keycard all the time for each door (which wouldn't be secure) or they do infact update the locks and cards with new information each time. Who knows though... Seriously, who knows?
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited September 2011
    Found something:
    Electronic key cards are similar to ATM cards -- they have an attached magnetic strip that is coded by the check-in computer and read by the lock on the hotel room door. A whole new key, with a different code, is created for each room with every change of guest. The codes from the previous use are wiped out by the computer and replaced with a new pattern that is also sent electronically to the room lock.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/1998/10/05/focus2.html
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited September 2011
    So theoretically, you could intercept the packets sent to the hotel door lock, write the information to another card and then be able to access someone's room? Either that or clone the card.