Places to Torrent Books for University

edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
As you may or may not be aware, when you're at University they reccommend that you purchase certain books to help you along with the information on the course. Obviously I have better things to be spending money on (booze, toiletries, etc) and I'd love to save some money here and there so why not torrent the books instead?

If you can nudge me in the direction of some good websites which share a lot of books, I'd be very grateful. They don't even have to be Torrents, they could be direct links or whatever. As long as I can search for something and download it, I'll be happy :thumbsup:

Comments

• dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    You should not even need to bother. As long as you do not go to a shit bag univeristy and are doing a course that is not off the beaten track, they should have bought the rights for students to view the books online. When I did my degree I only bought one book and that was only because the exam for the module was open book and it would have been stupid not to have it. That was years ago when you couldnt get books online at uni.

Your uni should have a network you can access from home that will allow you to access the books online.

When I did my post grad, I bought two books, but only because they were so cheap on amazon it would have cost me more in time printing them off. Plus, if you print a book off yourself, it inevitably turns into a big pile of unsorted papers.
  • edited September 2011
    I guess I should wait and see if they have the books available then. I might just fancy some reading material at some point though, so maybe torrenting some books would be a good idea anyway.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    Damn dude, over here they require the books. The lecture is only half the content of the class, the rest is reading (and lab depending if it's a scientific course).

It is here too, but with the massive amount of people who have gone to uni who should not really have gone - not being an educational snob here, but people go for the sake of going rather than learning - lecturers realise that most will not even bother to seek out books and so they spoon feed them with photocopies of the parts of the books they need to read so people pass the course.

One of the reasons I work in industry rather than academia.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2011
    If you havn't known the textbook industry(scam)..textbooks are being "re-edited" and "revised" every year and charge students a RIDICULOUS price. when you sell your books back, you will get little to nothing by the time you are done using it. In fact, older editions of the same textbook (and author) are reduced to AT LEAST 80%, give or take 2-4 editions apart from the most previous one. I bought a book that was required for class, and it had all the same material..I bought it for LITERALLY 1 cent off amizon. I basically had to pay shipping and all that stuff, but i usually buy my books that are less than a dollar. Just look around for the previous versions if you really want a textbook..
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks for the replies, but can anybody link me to some good places to torrent books anyway? I'm sure I can find something useful as I'll be doing some reading in my spare time :)
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    irc!!!

How to use IRC for book downloads

Also, i find text-books in normal torrent engines. Usually if they are sem-popular books they are there. isohunt.com

your school probably has access to the safari online (O'rielly books). Will be helpful if you are doing IT/ICT subjects.
    http://my.safaribooksonline.com/ check the library database for access details.
  • edited September 2011
    ^ Thanks for the reminder! I'll give that a shot in just a minute :D Also, that guide hasn't been added to the CMS yet so I'll do that for ya.