just acquired a macbook

EchidnaEchidna Regular
edited September 2011 in Tech & Games
I have recently recieved a macbook, 1.8ghz core 2 duo. So it's the second gen 13" white one from 2007. Only has 512mb ram (FUCK). I was gonna pick up 3gb to replace it but I have no idea what the fuck is going on with macintosh computers except how to take them apart and add hardware.

The computer was "reformatted" from what the previous owner said. But to what end, I have no idea. It still has their account name and it won't let me update anything without their password. It's running OSX 10.5.8 btw.

So how do I completely redo this bitch, is it like reformatting winXP where I can use a jump drive or cd. It has a cdrw drive but not dvdrw so I don't have access to DVD. I have a stack of CDrw that somehow are either unreadable or unusable or just destroyed because they're like 6 years old. So I could try to burn an img on those.

If I can make any headway on this, I will replace the ram with 1gb and 2gb 240 pin sticks (motherboard won't read the 4gb anyway). If I do this, can I somehow get OSX10.6 without paying?

TL;DR: Macbook 2nd Gen OSX10.5.8, need to restore user password, reformat, and a later date get osx10.6 for free.

Comments

• EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited September 2011
    I figured out how to ad an admin account. Hold the apple key and s while rebooting and type this into terminal
    mount -uw /
    rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    shutdown -h now

Then reboot and fill in the stuff for your new admin account. Still need info on upgrading the OS without a dvd burner being used or paying for it.
  • edited September 2011
    Is it possible to run a DBAN on it or something? I have no idea how Macs work, lol.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Clueless about macs Im sorry lol, I've always managed to avoid the damn things :p
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited September 2011
    WTF is a mac? Like mac and me?

mac-and-me.jpg
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah I'm pretty clueless, it took me a few days to figure out how to right click.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited September 2011
    OSX Lion is like $30. Just download the app store and buy it, it's cheaper than a new hard drive!
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited September 2011
    BaconPie wrote: »
    OSX Lion is like $30. Just download the app store and buy it, it's cheaper than a new hard drive!
    OSX Lion is like $30. Just download the app store and buy it
    OSX Lion is like $30. Just buy it
    buy it

:thumbsdown:

..and you call yourself a terrorist.

Update: Currently waiting for this cunt to reply to my email on some ram from craigslist. Really I ask her if they're still available and i'm in the area with a car and cash in hand. Their responce, "mMhm".

FUCK man I'm trying to get some computing done. I gained access as an administrator. Then I have to buy and install 2gb minimum ram. THEN I can install Leopard osx10.6 . THEN I can install a new, faster hard drive.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited September 2011
    I call myself a what? Oh, you mean the titles. When did they change?

Regarding buying it, why inconvenience yourself for $30? Do you steal all your groceries?
  • edited September 2011
    ^ Titles changed for 9/11, they'll be changing back soon along with the logo.

Can you torrent OSX Lion? I'd quite like to run it on a VM so I can get to grips with using the OS I've put myself off of using for the whole of my life, lolz.
  • EchidnaEchidna Regular
    edited September 2011
    Picked up a mac pro keyboard (black and translucent) with matching mouse for $15 tonight. Still waiting on this fucking ram.

Did some researching and found that installing pirated osx lion is simple as shit. All I need to do is burn a copy of a osx10.6 (snow leopard) and install from there. No drivers or anything like that needed, it's all included. These are easily available and clean with NO DRM. That means no fucking with serials or cracks or half assed installs. Once I use the official Apple updater program to get me up to speed to osx10.6.8, I can run the installer for osxLion (10.7). Again, no DRM and it doesn't even need to be booted from CDROM. Apple actually sells it out of the store on a usb drive for $40.

So that's that. I'm on my way to having this thing up to speed as soon as I have this fucking RAM. I'm picking it up tomorrow at noon but have to work 3pm-2am so I won't have much time to fuck around with it.

Current set up:

10rom10.jpg

Sitting on my bed, using a cooler filled with cheap beer as a stand atm.

All in all, I hate this machine terribly. Not to mention the mouse I bought doesn't have two click options :facepalm: . So everytime i need to right click, I need to hold ctrl and click. I also hate mac os, I still haven't figured out how to put files on the desktop, only on the bottom bar.

Also, if you ever are using mac and wonder what key is the Up Arrow (shown in certain menus; used with shortcuts) it is the Shift key. Idk why it's presented as an up arrow and not Shft or something. Fuck I hate Apple.

And I can't play anything worth a shit on it. I might just run Win7 or Win8 if I can find good copies of it. I'll fuck around with bootcamp once I get OSXLion. And another thing, the whole thing is completely non upgradable besides memory (with a 3gb wall) and the hardrive which requires some work. Currently it's got a 60gb 5400rpm drive which blows dick. If I can find a cheap 7200rpm drive on craigslist, then I will jump on it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    I am just starting to work with Mac OS (VMware (8GB RAM helps)).

Google OSXZ discs from Piratebay, mount or extract and install. It shouldn't be difficult in the first place.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    Does apple have any validation checks for pirated software? No drivers needed because they know exactly what hardware you have.

The strangest thing about apple is how they separate the hardware and software into two different products. It's an over complication that apple doesn't usually like. Ideally, under the apple culture, all software upgrades should be free up until a point.Maybe after two "new" product hardware revisions. The user should then either be forced to upgrade hardware or stick with old software.

It's likely a revenue thing though, apple needs a constant stream of revenue (like all companies), it's the only reason they would have released the ipad2.