"I studied abroad in Africa!"

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Y'see, here in the UK we have posh kids who decide they need to go abroad to show off how rich and thus caring they are. So much so that this video became a viral hit almost overnight due to it being so...true

Here is the site I was talking about though. I know it's cynical as hell, but you've gotta laugh.

http://gurlgoestoafrica.tumblr.com
CYAc1X6S5SNiEajdYbNMbc8D0Q2uRQFpxMl6.png

gxbKPZvLzi0AACDP2YtNvPw8JZfaRMv8WaWO.png

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2011
    Sheesh! Nothing worse than a rich white person trying to become one with poor assed africans. Take bono for example, he's in there intermingling with disease ridden native kids. Stays with them for a couple of hours, shows some humanitarian BS on camera for the folk back home only to retire in his 5 star hotel later on.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    You've got it, BK! I fucking hate Bono. U2 were great back before they started to become a charity case. If anything I feel more sorrow for the other members of the band who have to put up with Bono's tax-dodging bullshit than those in Africa or wherever he chooses to target. Same with Live8 concerts.
    edited September 2011
    I don't know if many realise it! But 10% of a charities charity actually goes to charity. Go figure ay w00t? Compensation from tax returns comes into play next. WooHoo! Charity is really a corporate circus. da ... da ... .da,da,da ... da ... da ... da ... da
    edited September 2011
    You'd love my Dad. We frequently discuss just how much money goes to the aims of the charity. Our University often holds "Fairtrade Fairs" and the like, and I just see people snapping up overpriced crap, but they don't stop to look at the expensive vinyl signs and LCD TVs showing the plight of people in third and second world Countries....and how much that cost.
    edited September 2011
    Did I mention previously your dad sounds cool? Why yes, yes I did!.....Now he got even cooler. :cool:
    How it works: I give $10 to charity, 90% goes to the charity for handling, shipping and administration ... BADABooM! There goes 9 bucks. Lucky there is $1 left. "It only takes a dollar day to feed gibateech" ... But wait! Who are those niggas driving through the village with ak47s and rocket launchers.... ONOEZ! It's the village militants :eek: this isn't gonna go well. :( HEY! They just took gibateech's $1 :angry: But it's all good because they'll sell it back to gibateech for 9 bucks or feed gibateech each day for the bargain price of digging for diamonds. :p
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    Fucking assholes, HEY CUM TO PAKISTAN YOU CUNTS. I hate people who help others to make their standing in the so-called society better, bunch of no good bastards.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    Charity starts at home. If you want to donate something to charity find an individual who is having a row of bad luck that is not just some degenerate who will smoke/drink/shoot any money you give them. Or better yet give them goods and or services that will help them get through their hard time. That way you know 100% of your donation is being used for something other than paying the salary of some pompous overpaid asshat activist who robs the charity they work for.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited September 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    You'd love my Dad. We frequently discuss just how much money goes to the aims of the charity. Our University often holds "Fairtrade Fairs" and the like, and I just see people snapping up overpriced crap, but they don't stop to look at the expensive vinyl signs and LCD TVs showing the plight of people in third and second world Countries....and how much that cost.

Even fairtrade products are bullshit, they only have to be a set amount of fair trade to get the stamp of approval.

If your jar of coffee powder is fair trade, there is a good chance that it contains no fairtrade stuff at all.
    Since it will be something like one in every six loads that is fairtrade, and it all goes in the same hopper then there is no way of telling what beans are fairtrade.
    edited September 2011
    Like TDR said, paying someone is kind is much more preferable. I'd much rather give somebody in need some food and or/building materials....or whatever suits their current situation.
    Interesting piece there Lysdexic. I thought it was all Fairtrade, but maybe not. I'll have to get researching this stuff. It just annoys me that people blindly accept it all as truth and call me a cynical human-hating bastard when all I do is suggest improvements.
    edited September 2011
    Like TDR said, paying someone is kind is much more preferable. I'd much rather give somebody in need some food and or/building materials....or whatever suits their current situation.
    Interesting piece there Lysdexic. I thought it was all Fairtrade, but maybe not. I'll have to get researching this stuff. It just annoys me that people blindly accept it all as truth and call me a cynical human-hating bastard when all I do is suggest improvements.
    edited September 2011
    Charity starts at home. If you want to donate something to charity find an individual who is having a row of bad luck that is not just some degenerate who will smoke/drink/shoot any money you give them. Or better yet give them goods and or services that will help them get through their hard time. That way you know 100% of your donation is being used for something other than paying the salary of some pompous overpaid asshat activist who robs the charity they work for.
    Here,here! Fix the shit in our own countries first. :thumbsup: I'd rather see people offer goods and services instead of cash to charities.