The Official Sex Ed Thread

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited October 2011 in Life
In this thread we post basic sexual education information and comment on it.

---
Birth control basics
By Mayo Clinic staff

If you're considering using birth control, you have many options — from natural family planning and over-the-counter birth control products to prescription contraceptives or sterilization.

To help determine which birth control method would be best for you, consider your lifestyle, personal preferences and health status. How do you feel about planning for sex? Inserting birth control devices into your body? Taking a pill at the same time every day or tracking your fertile days? Permanently ending the ability to conceive or father a child?

It's also important to make an honest assessment of yourself, your partner and your relationship. You may have different birth control needs if you have sex often or you're not in a monogamous relationship. Ideally, you and your partner will discuss the options and reach a mutually beneficial decision.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/birth-control/MY01182
---
Question
Birth control: Can pre-ejaculation fluid cause pregnancy?
Can you get pregnant from pre-ejaculation fluid?

Answer
from Roger W. Harms, M.D.

Yes. Pre-ejaculation fluid may contain sperm, which means that a woman can get pregnant even when ejaculation doesn't occur within the vagina.

Withdrawal of the penis from the vagina before ejaculation is one of the oldest methods of birth control. It's free, readily available and has no side effects. Still, withdrawal is unreliable at best — and it offers no protection from sexually transmitted infections. If you're trying to prevent pregnancy, choose a more reliable type of birth control. If you're not sure which type of birth control is best for you, ask your doctor to help you understand the options.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/birth-control/AN00197
---
Question
Sperm: How long do they live after ejaculation?
How long do sperm live after ejaculation?

Answer

The life span of sperm after ejaculation depends on the environmental conditions. Sperm ejaculated into a woman's vagina can live in a woman's reproductive tract for up to five days or perhaps even longer. Fertilization is possible as long as the sperm remain alive. Sperm ejaculated outside the body may survive only minutes to a few hours.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy/AN00281
---
Question
Ovulation signs: When is conception most likely?
I'm hoping to get pregnant. How can I tell when I'm ovulating? Are there any obvious ovulation signs?

Answer

Ovulation is the release of an egg from the ovary. Ovulation often happens around day 14 of the menstrual cycle, although the exact timing may vary among women or even from month to month.

Ovulation signs and symptoms are often subtle. Just before ovulation, you might notice an increase in clear, slippery vaginal secretions — if you look for it. These secretions typically resemble raw egg whites. After ovulation, when the odds of becoming pregnant are slim, the discharge will become cloudy and sticky or disappear entirely.

Your basal body temperature — which increases slightly during ovulation — may provide another clue about ovulation. Using a digital thermometer or a thermometer specifically designed to measure basal body temperature, take your temperature every morning before you get out of bed. Plot the readings on graph paper and look for a pattern to emerge. You'll be most fertile during the two to three days before your temperature rises.

For some women, ovulation triggers mild abdominal cramps.

In addition to watching for ovulation signs and symptoms, you might want to try an over-the-counter ovulation kit. These kits test your urine for the surge in hormones that takes place before ovulation.

To maximize your fertility, have sex once a day around the time of ovulation. Daily intercourse during the days leading up to ovulation may increase the odds of conception.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ovulation-signs/AN01521
---

Birth control options: Things to consider
Your birth control options may include oral contraceptives, barrier methods or natural family planning. Find out how to choose the method of contraception that works best for you.
By Mayo Clinic staff

If you're considering using contraception, you have various birth control options. To help pick the right method of birth control for you and your partner, consider the following questions.
What are the different types of birth control?

Birth control options may include:

* Barrier methods. Examples include male and female condoms, as well as the diaphragm, cervical cap, contraceptive sponge and spermicide.
* Hormonal methods. Example include various types of birth control pills, as well as a vaginal ring (NuvaRing ), contraceptive implant (Implanon), contraceptive injection ( Depo-Provera) and contraceptive patch (Ortho Evra).
* Intrauterine devices. Examples include a copper IUD (ParaGard) and a hormonal IUD (Mirena).
* Sterilization. Examples include tubal ligation, Essure or Adiana for women and vasectomy for men.
* Natural family planning. Examples include the rhythm, basal body temperature and cervical mucus methods.

It's also important to be aware of emergency contraception — such as the morning-after pill (Plan B One-Step or Next Choice) — which can be used to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex.
How do different types of birth control work?

Various types of birth control work in different ways. Birth control may:

* Prevent sperm from reaching the egg
* Inactivate or damage sperm
* Prevent an egg from being released each month
* Alter the lining of the uterus so a fertilized egg doesn't attach to it
* Thicken cervical mucus so sperm can't easily pass through it

What is the method's effectiveness?

To be effective, any method of contraception must be used consistently and correctly. Still, failure rates vary. For example, methods of natural family planning are less likely to be effective than are hormonal methods of birth control. It's up to you to determine the level of effectiveness you need.
Is it reversible?

The method of contraception you choose depends on your reproductive goals. If you're planning pregnancy in the near future, you may want a method that's easily stopped or quickly reversible, such as an oral contraceptive or a barrier method. If you'd like to become pregnant — but not in the near future — you may want to consider an IUD. If you're certain that you don't ever want to conceive, you may prefer a permanent method, such as sterilization.
Is it convenient?

For some people, convenience suggests ease of use, no bothersome side effects or no disruption of the sexual experience. For others, convenience means no prescription is required. When choosing a method of contraception, consider how willing you are to plan ahead or, if necessary, adhere to a rigid schedule. It's important to choose a type of birth control that suits your lifestyle.
Can you afford it?

Some methods of contraception are inexpensive, while others are more costly. Consult your insurance provider about coverage, and then consider the expense as you make a decision.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/birth-control-options/MY01084
---

Birth Control

Birth control allows us to prevent pregnancy and plan the timing of pregnancy.
* Abstinence
* Birth Control Implant (Implanon)
* Birth Control Patch (Ortho Evra)
* Birth Control Pill
* Birth Control Vaginal Ring (NuvaRing)
* Birth Control Shot (Depo-Provera)
* Birth Control Sponge (Today Sponge)
* Breastfeeding as Birth Control
* Cervical Cap (FemCap)
* Condom
* Diaphragm
* Emergency Contraception (Morning After Pill)
* Female Condom
* Fertility Awareness-Based Methods (FAMs)
* IUD
* Outercourse
* Spermicide
* Sterilization for Women
* Vasectomy
* Withdrawal (Pull Out Method)

People have used birth control methods for thousands of years. Today, we have many safe and effective birth control methods available to us.

All of us who need birth control want to find the method that is best for us. And each of us has different needs when choosing a method. If you are trying to choose, learning about each method may help you make your decision. Use the list of birth control methods above to read about the methods.

Only you can decide what is best for you. And we are here to help. A staff member at your local Planned Parenthood health center can discuss all of your birth control options with you and help you get the birth control you need.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control-4211.htm
---

Comments

• CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited August 2010
    By age 50, %80-%90 of adults have contracted HSV-1 (Oral Herpes). Keep that in mind during your MILF hunting endeavors.

Infrequent masturbation has been linked with prostate cancer in males.

Rape is a crime.

Etc.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    My X girl friend should have came to this thread about 8 weeks ago.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited September 2010
    Don't be a fool wrap your tool.

714px-Semen_ejaculated_in_a_condom.jpg&t=1
  • LMSLMS Regular
    edited November 2010
    Be advised little horn dogs that some of those "birth control" methods have a high failure rate, like the natural planning, pulling out and breastfeeding.
  • Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited November 2010
    2 month year old baby. :P

- most guys dont want to wear a condom so yea be careful..
    edited November 2010
    I copypasta'd most of that stuff. The so-called "pull out method" is pretty much a guaranteed way to become a parent.
    edited November 2010
    I would only want a child to be brought into this world If I knew it could have everything ive ever had and more. It's honestly a scary thought at times with this topic I mean guys dont stick around anymore. (hit it and gone)
    edited November 2010
    I would only want a child to be brought into this world If I knew it could have everything ive ever had and more. It's honestly a scary thought at times with this topic I mean guys dont stick around anymore. (hit it and gone)

Actually the current term I use is "skeet and delete." :o
    edited November 2010
    yea i couldn't think of a shitty saying boys use
    edited November 2010
    I use it for its inherently ironic value when it comes out of my mouth. It's a lovely feeling saying something so crude, vulgar and tasteless. Think Hannibal Lecter reciting Pitbull's lyrics. It's like that :o
  • CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited December 2010
    Never pull out because there's a point when your having sex where you don't give a fuck what happens and you just want to cum and get the most pleasure and if you're weak minded you might opt to cumming inside the girl which wouldn't be good :/ I know people who it has happened to and most of them were lucky but my one friend now has a 2 month year old baby.

Moral: wrap your willie.

I'm pretty sure I'm an uncle right now, for this very reason.

I say "pretty sure" because my dead-beat brother kind of broke contact before she carried to term, so I dunno if she got an abortion or what.
  • edited December 2010
    Never pull out because there's a point when your having sex where you don't give a fuck what happens and you just want to cum and get the most pleasure and if you're weak minded you might opt to cumming inside the girl which wouldn't be good :/ I know people who it has happened to and most of them were lucky but my one friend now has a 2 month year old baby.

Moral: wrap your willie.

I usually just pull out and hope for the best really. It's not hard to do ;)
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited September 2011
    yea i couldn't think of a shitty saying boys use

GIGOGO
    Get In, Get Off, Get Out.
    edited September 2011
  • tycioltyciol Acolyte
    edited October 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I usually just pull out and hope for the best really. It's not hard to do ;)
    I thought it was instinctive to stay in?