Has anyone here been sectioned?

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited September 2011 in Life
Ok so I just returned from a lecture where I was drinking beer the entire time (fuck yeah) and tomorrow at 4pm I have a meeting with an "Early intervention in Psychosis" lady. In short, they are judging whether or not my latest bout of shitstorm emotions which range from relationships to medications will land me. I've been told there are upsides to being sectioned (such as legal immunity) but then again there are the obvious shit ones like not getting a "decent" job, ie: One in mainstream society short of cleaning a toilet.

Has anyone here ever been in such a situation? Sorry but I'm rather pissed and kind of looking forward to tomorrow. In an odd, anticipatory way.

Is that even a word? "Anticipatory"?

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    Play the game, get what you need from the system (academia), get a degree in a field that is in high demand in Panama, and when you are ready in a few years I will let you build on the land I buy.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Well today wen't pretty well. I need a follow-up and I was very candid. The funniest bit went as follows

"Ok RemadE, do you ever feel the TV or Radio are communicating subliminal messages to you? To harm yourself or others?"

"Yes"

"In what way"

"Well things like the X Factor and crap music. I'm sure even you would flip out. If anything they make me want to jump off a cliff. I'd prefer to read a book. Don't you dare tell me that TV this days is bearable, and that Music is getting any better...."

"This is a serious evaluation, RemadE"

"I am being serious"

But yeah. Not too bad :hai:
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited September 2011
    The missus is a nurse and can do a 24 hour section on people.

Anything you want to know from her?
    edited September 2011
    It may be different in the US, but I was thinking of legal immunity. I knew a paranoid schizophrenic who could get away with pretty much anything (ok, bar murder) and he was practically above the law. True?
    edited September 2011
    We are in the UK so will ask tonight.
    edited September 2011
    *looks at location in user info*

Well I'll be damned...cheers :)
    edited September 2011
    By the sounds of what she told me it depends on what sort of security ward you are sectioned to.
    Her first placement was a low/medium security ward for people with incureable brain damage. Mostly people who had abused drugs and booze but were classed as "being at risk" so not the best examples.

The only examples she could give is that sometimes people would manage to escape and get to nearby citys with no money. If they were caught shoplifting or such it was the place that they were being "looked after" that had to pay the fines and such as they had been in trusted to look after that person.

A great story from the neighbour who used to work in a medium/high security unit was during last winter the "clients" built a huge snowman useing a wall to support it.
    They then used the snowman as a ladder and 16 people escaped for a couple of hours.
    edited September 2011
    Haha that's a rather innovative way of escaping. That one's going in the "I know a guy who told me..." repertoire.

As for the legal "immunity" thing, that's pretty much what I heard, but mine was in the context of more assault/battery as in the guy could claim insanity - sort of. It's a real legal grey area.
    Luckily I'm not off to the loony bin anytime soon. Got a follow-up in October and who knows - maybe some more Benzos and narcissistic sessions :)