Can people spontaneously combust?

angryonionangryonion Just some guy
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Check this out.People bursting into fire balls with no source of ignition.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2043500/Spontaneous-combustion-death-cases-What-IS-truth.html
LOL, what if my arm spontaneously combusted, could I be charged with a unregistered firearm? :D

Comments

• blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited September 2011
    i think you've been watching too much southpark.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    I'm sure there has to be a reason to combust. I suppose it can be spontaneously if it's a delayed reaction of something else, but I really doubt it can just randomly happen to anyone.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    I've read a bit about this. This makes me an expert.

I'd suggest that spontaneous combustion is the result of a very rare chemical balance in the body. Something that likely happens instantly. It causes the body to burst into flames and destroys the evidence.

The other side of the coin is: It's all superstitious bullshit.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited October 2011
    this subject was on coast to coast am 2 nights ago

n the latter half, researcher Larry Arnold reported on cases of spontaneous human combustion (SHC)-- inexplicable incidents where people can smoke, blister or otherwise burn in absence of contact with a known ignition source or burn agent. He recounted some of the most remarkable cases such as that of Mary Reeser, a Florida woman who, in 1951, was found reduced to a pile of ash, but the room she was in suffered little damage, as well as that of Dr. John Bentley, which yielded an astonishing photo.

In a case from the UK involving a man named Robert Bailey, Fire Brigade Commander Jack Stacey described the victim as having a blue flame "emanating from a 4-inch slit like a blowtorch" from his abdomen, and he was absolutely convinced that this flame was burning from the inside out, said Arnold. He also discussed an incident of a Holy man in India who was said to immolate himself at will, and a recent case of SHC that took place in Ireland

i usualy listen to it online from the tune in radio site and by finding a locale radio station that is streaming on line
  • edited October 2011
    Funny that this thread should pop up, as I was reading about this phenomenon the other night when I was bored and found myself searching for random things on Wikipedia. According to the Wiki, there have been various counts of people spontaneously combusting - occasionally causing death, other times not having any adverse effects on the victim. There seemed to be a lot of emphasis on the blood alcohol levels as well, saying that people with higher alcohol levels in their bloodstream had a higher chance of combusting, or something.

Weird shit.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    saying that people with higher alcohol levels in their bloodstream had a higher chance of combusting, or something.

This is what I was trying to get at. It can't just happen to anyone, there would have to be something else to cause it.