Admiting You're Wrong — Totseans

Admiting You're Wrong

StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I have a policy that when I am corrected on something I will admit to being wrong and will take it as a learning tool. I know a lot of other people do this but it seems to me that a lot of those people also get pissed the fuck off about it. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe it is the concept of even having been wrong in the first place or maybe it is because something they were so sure they knew to be true has now been disproven and they feel betrayed by the source of their misinformation. I don't know but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is the former.

The fact of the matter is that everyone is wrong about something not at some point in time but often. I can see how this cpuld meke a person feel like they are stupid. Nobody likes being wrong including me but I don't fly off the handle when I find out that I am nor do I hold it against the person I'm debating. I see being corrected as a learning process that will take my entire life. Often times I thank people who correct me. In my opinion I think it is a sign of lesser intelligence to not want want to know the truth about something or the correct way to do/say it or handle a situation.

Do you get pissed off about being wrong? How do you handle it when you find out? I think my way is a good healthy and intelligent way of going about it but fuck, I could be wrong there too. It wouldn't be the first time.

Comments

  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    I don't give a shit that I'm wrong, it's when people hold it against me that I crack it.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    I do not mind being wrong when the end result means that i have a deeper understanding of something.

    In fact, sometimes i take the wrong side of an argument just to see things from another angle.


    I get annoyed when i'm wrong and the end result is that i'm wrong. e.g. A bad exam result, a wrong turn, etc. I get annoyed at the loss.

    What i truly despise though is people who won't admit they're wrong. The kind who will work out long convoluted arguments just to come out "right". Even worse, the people who outright lie.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Burn wrote: »
    I don't give a shit that I'm wrong, it's when people hold it against me that I crack it.

    This. I find it a learning curve as well. I know too many guys (and girls, actually) that let their pride get in the way of their errors. They just keep on going on, with their ego slightly chipped.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    This. I find it a learning curve as well. I know too many guys (and girls, actually) that let their pride get in the way of their errors. They just keep on going on, with their ego slightly chipped.

    It's worse when they make shit up to try and justify their ever-failing argument. I actually had one friend who would turn it back around and act like he was agreeing with you the whole time, and that you must've been confused. Cunts.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Burn wrote: »
    It's worse when they make shit up to try and justify their ever-failing argument. I actually had one friend who would turn it back around and act like he was agreeing with you the whole time, and that you must've been confused. Cunts.

    Oh God, that's the worst sort. The "I know I was wrong but going to try and play along now..mmhmm, yup...you haven't noticed"

    Yes I have you twat! ARGH!
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    Burn wrote: »
    I don't give a shit that I'm wrong, it's when people hold it against me that I crack it.

    This
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    If I am ever wrong I will report how I handled ITT, I promise.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited October 2011
    Burn wrote: »
    It's worse when they make shit up to try and justify their ever-failing argument. I actually had one friend who would turn it back around and act like he was agreeing with you the whole time, and that you must've been confused. Cunts.
    I do this shit all the time.

    "EXACTLY, THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING THE WHOLE TIME DUDE. DAMN YOU'RE DUMB!!!"
Sign In or Register to comment.