Do you listen to anything while going to sleep?

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Do you listen to anything when you go to sleep? I've heard all the theories surrounding "learning while you sleep" when playing educational recordings, but this is also a discussion for those types of people who listen to music or something else. Personally, I have been listening to the audio book of Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" the past week, a chapter each night as I drift off. His voice is so soothing and my mind just goes into a relaxed state of ego-death while I drift off. It's like being in the hands of a God.

So, anyone else here listen to stuff when they are trying to count sheep?

And SG uber "Mind and Body" or "...and Rock and Roll".

Comments

• ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    I sometimes listen to some music. Anything, really. I don't care if it's soothing or not. I've always liked to have the TV on, or a nice bit of night-time conversation before I go to sleep, but yes, I do like some music sometimes, if I have nothing to watch/no one to talk to.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I have 7 seasons of CBS Radio Mystery theater that I listen to here lately. Considering they did 6 shows per week for 7 years that should get me through the next... well... 7 years.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    I listen to old peoples radio. ABC Radio National. Public Radio is a hotbed for leftist politics.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Um, how is leftist radio old people radio?
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited October 2011
    Used to have music very softly in the background to block out tinnitus. Now I sleep with ear plugs in to block out the sound of a blocked pipe that the landlord wont fix.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    Um, how is leftist radio old people radio?

There is a running joke here that the ABC radio listener base in mainly over 50. Surveys have shown that the vast majority are over 40 and the there is a good chunk over 50. It's their overly intellectual content that does it - Boring debates over long dead pianist and so forth.

There is also criticism that the entire ABC has a strong left wing bias. I've seen with my own eyes, a conservative politician get heckled by staff at ABC headquarters. I think all public broadcasters get the same criticism.

Hence, it is old people radio full of leftist programmes.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    I'm listening to the dark tower audio books as I go to sleep Lately ..
  • edited October 2011
    I can't stand any noise when trying to get to sleep. I end up listening to it too much and it keeps me awake :mad: I have to be in complete darkness and complete silence or else I can't sleep at all!
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited October 2011
    morgan freeman reads me bedtime stories til i sleep. when he's not around i listen to the radio sometimes.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited October 2011
    I listen to te static coming through my speakers from my cellular telephone because the volume is turned up to 40 so when somebody calls it will wake me. My job is dependent on recieving phone calls.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited October 2011
    I usually like listening to slow, soothing songs while I fall asleep but I gotta have a short list of songs that don't loop or else the music wakes me up later in the night.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Yeah I know what you mean about looping. I'm a real music nazi so I hate having my top 25 played playlist taken up by sleep songs. I used to have songs like "Sleep" by the Dandy Warhols and Eels play. Also nothing beats rain :)
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    ^ Again, I never had trouble sleeping to some heavy rock. But obviously it couldn't be too loud, I might have to turn it down.

Either that, or a nice bit of TV.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited October 2011
    I used to have that problem.
    A few of my songs would have a few minutes silence, then a "hidden track". The silence allways used to wake me up.