So my friend was telling me

BurnBurn Regular
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
That he was in surgery the other night. Apparently his testicle twisted inside his scrotum, and he had to get it surgically undone. Is this common?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Not incredibly common.

Lower ingronal hernias are more common, and often they lead to the testicle strangulation.

If that is indeed what you are referring to.
  • edited October 2011
    It's called Testicular Torsion - my friend had it once and had a good few days off college. It's also pretty dangerous if you don't get it checked out asap, so fight the embarrassment of telling people about your junk and go to hospital! :D
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited October 2011
    ^ this. I heard a story of this happening to a guy while he was sleeping (tossing and turning) on a couch. He didn't do anything about it for a while despite pain so instead of untangling them he had to get one removed. I don't know if that is a true story but either way I wouldn't take my chances.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited October 2011
    this makes my sack sad :sad::sad:
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited October 2011
    Sometimes when I get one of those random pains in my balls I'll get scared that one of them got twisted. :o

Also, I had a teacher tell us that it happened to a kid in his class before and apparently it hurts so bad that the kid just fell out of his seat and started crying on the floor.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited October 2011
    And then that kid was made fun of until he graduated.
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited October 2011
    One day a guy I was working with had his friend call in for him, saying he couldnt come in because he was in the hospital. Now, this dude was a stoner slacker so I wasn't totally buying it, but later the news came in that his testicles had spontaneously been twisted; I asked the doctor at the walk in by our store and he said it could happen to anyone (well, anyone who has testicles). I've only heard of it happening once in my 21 years alive so I guess its not totally common, but it can and does happen with little or no provocation.