Cooking steak at home. — Totseans

Cooking steak at home.

pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
edited October 2011 in Life
"You CAN NOT cook proper steak at home. In the restaurant we use a 1800 F broiler. That is also called an overfire, a salamander, a cheesemelter, etc. Home grills, griddles, burners, ovens do not reach the proper temp for a good steak."

True or false?

Comments

  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited September 2011
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Complete bullshit.
  • pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    You both don't happen to be restaurant chefs?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    CulinaryOverlord would probably be able to dispell a few myths. I was never a steak sorta guy.

    I'll take the blowjob though :)
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    I don't broil mine. I use a nice hot pan and cook them without oil. They normally turn out great, if they don't its normally because it was a cheap shitty steak i got from the supermarket. The best steak i get, i get vacuum packed from the local slaughterhouse.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    That is utter bullshit. Some of the best steak I have eaten has been cooked right on my grill. And I have eaten in 4 star restaurants in NYC, Vegas, and L.A. However one of the best ways I have had a steak prepared is at a place called Steak on a Stone. They bring your steak out uncooked but just starting to cook on a slab of volcanic steak that is heated to 700 f. You then slice of a bite and cook it on the stone as you eat it. That way every bite is done just the way you like it. The also are a Greek restaurant which is a double bonus in in my book because I love Greek food.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited September 2011
    The steak on a stone restaurant sounds pretty awesome tdr, are they only in ohio?

    Oh and whoever told you steaks are only good in a restaurant is either a cook who wants you to buy shit at their place, or is a moron.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited September 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    The steak on a stone restaurant sounds pretty awesome tdr, are they only in ohio?

    Oh and whoever told you steaks are only good in a restaurant is either a cook who wants you to buy shit at their place, or is a moron.

    Yeah, unfortunately there are only three locations. I keep telling the guy he needs to franchise because everyone I tell about this place wants to try it no matter where they live. As fantastic as the steaks are I go there for the Greek food. The town I grew up in had tons of Greeks. Every third kid in my class was named Gus or Nick. So there were a butt load of mom and pop Greek joints to eat at. But as far as Greek food goes this place beats the ones I grew up with.

    Also I couldn't agree more about the the home steak thing and assholes trying to get you to buy shit.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited September 2011
    pedicatio wrote: »
    "You CAN NOT cook proper steak at home. In the restaurant we use a 1800 F broiler. That is also called an overfire, a salamander, a cheesemelter, etc. Home grills, griddles, burners, ovens do not reach the proper temp for a good steak."

    True or false?

    I've never seen or heard of someone cooking a steak in a slamander in my life. I've cooked in restaurants for almost 10 years. Where did you even find that quote?
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    pedicatio wrote: »
    "You CAN NOT cook proper steak at home. In the restaurant we use a 1800 F broiler. That is also called an overfire, a salamander, a cheesemelter, etc. Home grills, griddles, burners, ovens do not reach the proper temp for a good steak."

    True or false?

    1. Who the fuck grills steak? You fry it.

    2. Buy some decent pans and dont have a shit cooker.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited September 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    1. Who the fuck grills steak?

    People in the south I suppose, every time I've had steak it was grilled.
  • 4206942069 Regular
    edited September 2011
    A.B. says

    Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

    Turn burner up to high on the stove and set your cast iron skillet (or whatever you're working with, I don't have a cast iron skillet yet, but I'm working on it...)

    Make sure your steak is at room temp and rub it with an oil that has a high smoke point...I use safflower oil, other high heat oils are peanut and Canola Oil...

    Salt and pepper the steak (Alton Brown says use kosher salt, and I do) and then use tongs (so you don't put holes in the meat for moisture to leak out of) to throw it in the heated pan for: 30 seconds per side...that's it. And DON'T TOUCH IT.

    Then take the whole pan and throw it in the oven for 2 minutes and then flip it, then leave it in for another 2 minutes. Since I don't have a cast iron skillet yet, I just use the tongs to take it from the pan and place it on the foil lined baking sheet that's been in the oven and is nice and hot..

    Then after it gets done. You can check doneness with a thermometer by pushing it into the side:

    Rare: 120-130 F
    Med Rare: 130-145 F
    Medium: 145-155 F
    Toast: 155 F and up (Alton's joke, not mine)


    Put it on a saucer upturned on a plate, so that it doesn't sit in its own juices and get all mushy. Let it sit for 5 MINUTES.
  • pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    No AB please. AB cooking is not restaurant cooking. Plus, AB has a weird palate.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    I would have thought it all technically boils down to opinion, but then again it could be more to fact, if they researched who prefers home-made steak to restaurant ones.

    Anyway, overall I guess that would be a mass amount of BS, since people have eaten stakes at home, and loved them, as TDR said a few posts up.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited September 2011
    Actually after asking around today at work, many large steak houses do cook their steaks in the salamander. Guess you learn something new every day.
  • pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
    edited September 2011
    Do they do it because it's faster to use salamander to make steaks or is it because it tastes better? Put another way, can you use a Weber grill to make steaks as good as the ones made in restaurants using salamanders?
  • ShadyTrollShadyTroll Regular
    edited September 2011
    I don't broil mine. I use a nice hot pan and cook them without oil. They normally turn out great, if they don't its normally because it was a cheap shitty steak i got from the supermarket. The best steak i get, i get vacuum packed from the local slaughterhouse.

    I do that but I use a little bit of olive oil. I'll also cook steaks on the George Foreman grill (more convenient than the outdoor grill).
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited September 2011
    FACT - the best (conventional) way to cook a steak is in a solid thick based pan using butter ... making sure temp is right so you dont burn the butter and proper basting techniques are tricky though. And then finishing it off in the oven until desired colour.

    i would NEVER even think of cooking a steak in a salamander ....

    this is the best way to cook steak
  • zalloyzalloy Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2011
    skunk wrote: »
    The steak on a stone restaurant sounds pretty awesome tdr, are they only in ohio?

    Oh and whoever told you steaks are only good in a restaurant is either a cook who wants you to buy shit at their place, or is a moron.

    Steak on a stone is the way to go. One time, we were camping, and the only thing we had to cook our prime rib steaks on was a flat rock. It was so tender, you didn't need a knife and fork. Awesome. Came out perfect.

    Oh, and my husband's a really good cook. :D
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited October 2011
    42069 wrote: »
    A.B. says

    Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

    Turn burner up to high on the stove and set your cast iron skillet (or whatever you're working with, I don't have a cast iron skillet yet, but I'm working on it...)

    Make sure your steak is at room temp and rub it with an oil that has a high smoke point...I use safflower oil, other high heat oils are peanut and Canola Oil...

    Salt and pepper the steak (Alton Brown says use kosher salt, and I do) and then use tongs (so you don't put holes in the meat for moisture to leak out of) to throw it in the heated pan for: 30 seconds per side...that's it. And DON'T TOUCH IT.

    Then take the whole pan and throw it in the oven for 2 minutes and then flip it, then leave it in for another 2 minutes. Since I don't have a cast iron skillet yet, I just use the tongs to take it from the pan and place it on the foil lined baking sheet that's been in the oven and is nice and hot..

    Then after it gets done. You can check doneness with a thermometer by pushing it into the side:

    Rare: 120-130 F
    Med Rare: 130-145 F
    Medium: 145-155 F
    Toast: 155 F and up (Alton's joke, not mine)


    Put it on a saucer upturned on a plate, so that it doesn't sit in its own juices and get all mushy. Let it sit for 5 MINUTES.


    I would double check your temps if I was you
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited October 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    FACT - the best (conventional) way to cook a steak is in a solid thick based pan using butter ... making sure temp is right so you dont burn the butter and proper basting techniques are tricky though.
    i would NEVER even think of cooking a steak in a salamander ....

    this is the best way to cook steak


    Sounds about right for filet. It really depends on the cut though. Broiler works great for ribeyes and strips.
Sign In or Register to comment.