Cellphone Jammers, do they really work?

DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
edited August 2010 in Man Cave
Do they?

Say I was to use one in front of an AT&T or any public store, would I have any success?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I don't see why you wanted to. Unless you have a vendetta with them. I'm not sure how portable they are but I'd imagine they'd work. But on the other hand they probably have unjammers and service enhnacer i'm guessing just beacuse you always have 6 bars in there.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    Something like this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11510

And you're right, they most likely have some sort of system to avoid jamming. I'll try it out though.
  • edited July 2010
    So would that plan be to sit in the car right outside the place? I'm thinking if there jammers, there has to be unjammers but let us know how this goes.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember a story awhile back about some high school principal using a jammer so kids couldn't talk on their phones at school. So I'm guessing they actually work.
    edited July 2010
    Well I just ordered it with some left over cash I had on Paypal. It should arrive in 5-7 business days.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes they work, but for a wider area and to block out a large amount of users completely requires one that can output wireless signals that interfere with carrier signals and therefore needs more power. Usually they start pocket sized for a small area and work there way up in size for larger areas.
  • edited July 2010
    Sounds pretty awesome. Bump this thread when you get some kind of result, I'd be quite interested to find out how good these are.
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes they do work. I'm not sure about that one though. The head of the math department in my high school made one. That guy was such a fucking douche and a nerd. it blocked about half of the school. Its a pretty good sized school also. I heard they are illegal though?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    I heard they are illegal though?

Welcome to Bad Ideas. :cool:
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm just going to :facepalm: myself for saying that. But i meant it on the teachers part.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm not sure if they're illegal or not. I suppose it's going against the freedom of speech or something.
  • VegaVega New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    You should have made this thread in Radio Free Amerika, not Bad Ideas.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    It would be (or should be) moved to BI anyway because it's discussing illegal activities like operating a cellular jammer
    edited August 2010
    Update:

Well, I got it today.

That's about an 18-day delay from the standard 'weekly' shipping.

It's pretty light, and I'll be testing it tonight at a public place, I'm waiting for the streets to crowd up.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited August 2010
    Its Illegal because of it possibly disrupting emergency calls.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    Would be cool for a bank robbery.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited August 2010
    For what it's worth, jamming is probably illegal mostly from being an FCC violation. Because to jam the frequency you have to broadcast the jamming signal all over the place which is not FCC approved, I'm guessing this is the case. Not that anyone should care, this is Bad Ideas.

As far as their function, yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_jammer
  • IrukanjiIrukanji Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    They work by over-powering the signals in a given range. If you have ever used a CB radio, some times assholes with more power than you will "squash" you. Same principal, only digital so harder to squash, plus you'd need more power than the tower in the are, which are everywhere.