Chris Hansens Tobacco Review Thread

Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
edited October 2011 in Life
This thread is a serious review thread for my use of all types of tobacco products. I have the same thread at totse2.com but thought this place could go well with these reviews.

Quorum: What I had was just a generic Quorum cigar. For the $2.50 that I paid it was a great choice. When I enjoyed it my friend had a Grenedier Corona which is really nothing special (It is a much higher step up from Swisher cigars but what isnt?). I don't mean the Corona is not a good cigar because for the price I think it is the highest quality you can get. The Quorum was a very full cigar that had a mildly sweet after taste. You cant go wrong with one if your just going to enjoy something with a friend on an occasion that does not call for celebration.

Punch: I picked up a generic Punch cigar. These are pretty good cheap cigars, my tobacco shop sells them for 3.99. They are a fairly thick smoke that tastes great. The after taste is moderately strong but not over powering. Something I find important in my cigars are the after taste because I like to be able to taste it even after my smoking session is complete. I would recommend a Punch cigar for an occasion that isn't too grand but when a slight celebration is called for.

Baccarat Luchador: My friend picked up two of these when he put in an order for a large amount of cigars (in all he ended up spending $30 and got 15 cigars I believe). These were his most expensive at $4.99. I had a smoke with him and he had his Baccarat while I enjoyed my Punch. He liked it so much he insisted that I get a Luchador for our next weeks smoke session. I decided that ending mid term testing was a big enough reason to splurge on such an expensive cigar (Keep in mind I am shit broke so 5 dollars for a cigar is quite a lot of money to me). We had our cigars and they were amazing. I would recommend the Baccarat Luchadore to anyone who needs a good celebratory cigar. The flavours of this particular cigar range from spicy to sweet and stay mild the whole way through. The smoky after taste is the best I have ever had in my experience. I fully recommend this cigar as something to enjoy for a celebration.

Camel Crush Bold: This cigarette was very interesting to me when I first heard about it because when you got it it was a normal full flavored Camel cigarette. BUT! Once the filter is crushed and you hear the snap or click it is turned into a mentholated cig. Very interesting idea. Now the flavor on these bad boys is pretty damn good even before they are turned mentholated. Once you crush the ball of menthol flavor inside the filter that might just rock your world. I have had pretty little experience with mentholated smokeables but this one really hit the spot. The only thing is it takes one or two drags to really taste the menthol at full blast unless you roll the filter and squeeze and then wait a few seconds so the menthol can be absorbed into the filter fully. The only other thing I would really change is make them a 100 instead of 70 or whatever they are in size. Overall great smoke and it isnt just a gimick made by marketing. It really works and if you want to save money and like both menthol and regular cigs get a pack and you wont be sorry.

Djarum Black: The Djarum black is a clove mini cigar (I would deem it a cigarette but whatever suits the marketers fancy, right?). As said by Burroughs in his above post they do crackle when you inhale. It is very interesting to hear your first time and I believe it has something to do with burning clove but dont quote me on that. Now the Djarum Blacks taste very good for a clove. I have tried the Djarum Special which wasnt as great but still okay and the Djarum Splash which was spectacular. The blacks also smoke for a very long time which is nice because most cigarettes smoke for 5 minuets tops while this can go for possibly 15. They are fairly high quality for the price and if you inhale (not just drag the smoke into your mouth) it gives you a pretty good buzz. I would be unable to smoke these on a regular basis as the clove gets annoying after a while but they are still very good and I highly recomend them.

Comments

• RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited October 2011
    I keep hearing people say the Quorums are pretty decent.
    Have yet to try them.
    Used to work at a tobacco shop. Became wary of cheap cigars, as I've had my fair share of poor tasting or poorly wrapped cigars.
    For "flavored" options, I really dig CAO's moontrance. I believe they also make a loose pipe blend of the same. Excellent stuff.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I have tried the Camel Crushes and they were odd. I enjoy a menthol once in a while but I wish they had a toggle switch of some sort so you could go back to non menthol if you decided that you fucked up for that moment.
  • Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
    edited October 2011
    I keep hearing people say the Quorums are pretty decent.
    Have yet to try them.
    Used to work at a tobacco shop. Became wary of cheap cigars, as I've had my fair share of poor tasting or poorly wrapped cigars.
    For "flavored" options, I really dig CAO's moontrance. I believe they also make a loose pipe blend of the same. Excellent stuff.

As far a economical choice goes Quarum are great. I fucking love em. Me an a friend split a box of 20 and its great. I will try and get my Acid review up as far as flavour goes.
    I have tried the Camel Crushes and they were odd. I enjoy a menthol once in a while but I wish they had a toggle switch of some sort so you could go back to non menthol if you decided that you fucked up for that moment.

Yeah. I generally am against menthol but I think once in a while they are fine. I usually would smoke half a crush and then make it menthol. It would be easier if they had some sort of interchangable filter where you could put it on and start menthol then take it off and go back to regualar.
  • DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
    edited October 2011
    I just bought a pack of Djarums on Saturday for my first time. I hated them, they taste made me sick. They overall just made me sick to my stomach.

Also got a pack of Camel Crush Bold a couple of weeks ago. I didn't really like them either. I don't know why but every time I smoke anything Camel Menthol type cigarettes, I never feel a good menthol taste to them, it feels very weird (Not the finger up your butt and you like it weird either).

Try Marlboro 54s, my favorite menthol cigarette.
    edited October 2011
    Old Gold: I bought a pack of Old Gold Red a while ago and have meant to review this one. First off it is a cheaper cigarette. The reason I purchaced it was because its what my uncle smokes and I wanted to see if they were good. I personally would not recommend them at all. I had one with my friend and halfway through he pulls out two Marlboro 100's and says "These are what we should be smoking.". I had to agree. The taste is very bland even if they are a "full flavour" cig. I really cant tell you enough how bland they are. They just leave a taste in your mouth that makes me think "meh." I would say if your gonna smoke, dont smoke Old Gold. They just arent worth it.
    edited October 2011
    American Spirit Yellow: I gotta say that this was actually a pretty decent smoke. The thing was that they were lights. After wanting to try them for a very long time I got the chance to do so tonight. My first impression was that the lights were definitly lights. I could barely taste them but what I did taste was decent. The whole no additives thing is a nice touch too because it doesnt leave me feeling as gross. Also the filter was fairly difficult to draw smoke through. Overall I would say they are a good smoke. I hope to review the black pack sometime in the near future.
    edited October 2011
    It's not just the filter that causes the hard draw on the spirits.
    I've smoked a fair share of their filterless, and they're just as tight.
    Think it's more due to how packed spirits typically are.
    Used to have the same thing happen when I would overpack my cigarette tubes when i was doing ryo.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited October 2011
    speaking of witch how many of us smoke roll your own? I do, right now Im enjoying the taste of Drum.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    I've rolled my own for the past 25 years now. I've always used Golden Virginia. Just recently the price has shot up, I'm paying almost £17 for a 50g pouch. A friend of mine brought me 1Kg back from Turkey last week at a cost of £1.70 per 50g pouch. Just goes to show how much duty we pay here.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Port Royal is what I normally smoke.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I have started hand rolling again recently and am using a 1:2 ratio of Prince Albert pipe tobacco and Bugler. Makes for a smooth easy rolling blend at an affordable price.
    edited October 2011
    I was doing a 1:1 ratio with various pipe tobaccos and Stokkebye.
    Usually ran me $9.
    $4.50/oz.
    I usually measure my smokes out, so I get 60 cigs.
    $3/pack? not bad.