I can't figure out what sport/exercise I should do.

JackJack Regular
edited July 2010 in Life
I have a general desire to get into shape but currently no especial passion for any sport or form of exercise. I have a bike that I use for transport to good effect but I'm not motivated to ride it just for exercise.

I played a couple of years of tennis in high school, kind of liked it but was always mediocre and frustrated.

I bowl (throw a 15) and was getting pretty good before I stopped when the only nearby alley closed, but that's not really much in the way of exercise.

I'm 5'11", 220 lbs. I have fairly large hands and US 14-15 shoe size. An online quiz from the BBC indicates my body type is between endomorph and mesomorph. My calves and thighs are large and seem to be muscular under a thin layer of fat. Waist size 34 to 36. I have abdomen fat but not a gut. I can flex to achieve firmness in all areas of the legs and arms but the results are unremarkable.

I don't like running much. When I'm made to, I find that my endurance is nearly non-existent. I find somewhat better but not really good results by running barefoot or in minimal footwear such as the Vibram FiveFingers. I'm sometimes told that I don't know my own strength.

There are so many forms of exercise or sport that I can't imagine which I should try. Any ideas based on this?

If you need anything more, just ask. Thanks.

ETA: Martial arts suggestions are also welcome. I liked the bit of Aikido I took but it doesn't seem intensive enough for body improvement so much as it focuses on the martial art itself. Something with a legit martial use but general exercise benefit would be nice.

Comments

• minor69nerminor69ner Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Lift some weights, if you really are meso/endo then you may have the genetics to be a power lifter.
  • ToothlessjoeToothlessjoe Acolyte
    edited July 2010
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited July 2010
    get a rower
  • weathersweathers Regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not glamourous but I've boxed for 14 years and have never been bored of it once. From the sound of your build (not that there's a set boxing build) you'd prob get a kick out of it.
    It's a pretty social pastime if you find a decent gym/club.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    I considered boxing but I don't want dain bramage. :(

I'll look into those others though; thanks.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited July 2010
    Jack wrote: »
    I considered boxing but I don't want dain bramage. :(

I'll look into those others though; thanks.

Im not sure if weathers meant it that way

I have a friend who goes to a boxing gym twice a week and he says most of it is just punching bags and stuff, and when it comes to sparring at a certain level theres no head shots allowed
  • weathersweathers Regular
    edited July 2010
    I used to spar quite a lot but you don't go all out on each other.

But yeah, a good 80% is working pads and bags and general conditioning. Most of the dudes at my old place don't even spar.
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited July 2010
    Join a good gym that also has classes that you can take for free. Where i attend there is boxing, yoga, pilates, and kickboxing, plus a lot more classes that are geared more for girls. Lifting weights are not geared for everyone, you have to really enjoy it so you don't get bored.

I'm not sure if you have a indoor soccer (football) arena in your area, but if so look into joining a men's league. It is great exercise and fun for many.
  • minor69nerminor69ner Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Join a good gym that also has classes that you can take for free. Where i attend there is boxing, yoga, pilates, and kickboxing, plus a lot more classes that are geared more for girls. Lifting weights are not geared for everyone, you have to really enjoy it so you don't get bored.

I'm not sure if you have a indoor soccer (football) arena in your area, but if so look into joining a men's league. It is great exercise and fun for many.

He should just lift and see what happens. The first few months I hated it but after I started seeing results, and stopped getting sore so much; I started to love it.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Run cross country. Nothing gives you the feeling of accomplishment more than completing a 10k race in a personal best time.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    P90X

The X is for XTREME:mad::mad::mad:
  • Iron MikeIron Mike Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    im interested in taking up a combat sport as well. I was leaning towards muay thai but at the same time considering western boxing. I will probably go with boxing because it would be more practical in street situations (its hard to knee and kick people when youre wearing jeans) but at the same time, muay thai looks more bad ass.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dude, Muay Thai your way to ascendancy. Become a lethal weapon with a SEXY body. Cardio, strength, and flexibility all rolled into one. That fat will be the least of your worries after a month or two, son. ;)
  • Iron MikeIron Mike Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    Dude, Muay Thai your way to ascendancy. Become a lethal weapon with a SEXY body. Cardio, strength, and flexibility all rolled into one. That fat will be the least of your worries after a month or two, son. ;)

I take it that you practice muay thai? What is a regular session like in your class?
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2010
    Iron Mike wrote: »
    I take it that you practice muay thai? What is a regular session like in your class?

Starts off with some crazy ass interval-training which includes some fast-ass sprinting with breaks of walking/jumping to keep your heart beat up. Sweating occurs within 30-45 seconds. After about 5 minutes of this we move on to hardcore pad training which alternates depending on what day it is. Non-contact sparring after this, and full-contact sparring depending on how experienced you are and if the trainer allows you. After, we begin body exercises which include press-ups/crunches and some kind of balancing exercise with a partner. Death is likely to occur if you do not seek medical treatment.
  • JFLC BGJFLC BG Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Something makes me doubt (strongly) that you wear a US size 14-15 shoe at 5'11". Everyone on the internet seems to become larger than they really are. Everyone has a 9 inch penis, 6-3" tall, etc. I'm thinking you're more like 5'5", 250lbs, with a size 9 shoe. Anyway I think you should just kill yourself, try that on for size.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Lying about myself isn't really a good way to get accurate advice on what I should do. Anyway, I did some research myself and at least as far as martial arts go, I found I should do some grappling style like Judo or Aikido.

Edit: STFU Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I said do P90X. Download it now.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    If it'll really make me look like the people in the commercials I sure as hell should try. I'll torrent it tonight.
  • edited July 2010
    Buy yourself some kettlebells.
  • Wooden PintsWooden Pints Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Fuck all that gay ass shit.

Deadlift, squat, and bench.

Throw in some other shit once you get those down.
    edited July 2010
    P90X is fucking intense. I dl'd the whole thing, and I couldn't even finish the first day's workout. It was ridiculous.
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited July 2010
    I enjoy pickup basketball but if you've never played in your life you're just gonna go out there and suck. It will be embarrassing and you'll never wana go back to it.

Do something that involves running or biking though. Those will help you get less fat and whatnot. Also they are generally done outside so you might get a bit of a tan and you'll wind up looking and feeling that much better about yourself.

They also have the potential to get you into great shape!