1 in 6 cellphones have fecal E. coli traces

juggjugg Regular
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Don't borrow anyone's phone again, and the next time some one wants to borrow yours just tell them.....
About one in six cellphones tested in the U.K. had traces of E. coli bacteria from fecal matter, a new study released for Global Handwashing Day suggests.

The findings included:
  • Although 95 per cent of people said they washed their hands with soap where possible, 92 per cent of phones and 82 per cent of hands had bacteria on them.
  • 16 per cent of hands and 16 per cent of phones were found to harbour E. coli bacteria that are associated with stomach upsets.
  • Those who had bacteria on their hands were three times as likely to have bacteria on their phones.
"The mobile phone is a lovely area for some of the bacteria that we actually started to grow," said Dr. Ron Cutler of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.

source

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    "Keep your shitty hands off of my phone." Should be the response to: "Can I use your phone?"
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    No one wants to use my piece of shit (hahaha, geddit?) $30 phone anyway. Which is why I love it.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    i wouldn't be surprised if everything was coved in a fine layer of shit
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited October 2011
    not to mention all the vagina and semen juices from the vibrator function on all phones ice seen apps for this even on shitty phones
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    There is a far worse place than your phone for picking up diseases from fecal matter. That is your toothbrush, if you don't close the toilet lid before you flush.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I'm always dubious about sharing spliffs, hookah pipes and anything else which could possibly get me some sort of lurgie bug.

To be fair, my best mate put my old phone between his arse cheeks, so I know for a fact it was covered in poop matter, no matter how fine.
    I now make a concious effort not to touch my phone unless I've washed my hands. Can you imagine smearing piss and shit on a HTC screen?
    I'd much rather an iPhone for that ;)
    chippy wrote: »
    There is a far worse place than your phone for picking up diseases from fecal matter. That is your toothbrush, if you don't close the toilet lid before you flush.

I recall seeing that on Mythbusters, I believe. After that episode i keep my toothbrush on the other side of the bathroom and always flush with the lid down. Oh, and run my brush under boiling hot water every evening. Probably doesn't do much, but it clears my mind. Got a cut up mouth so it puts my mind to rest.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Oh, its just another one of those sensationalist pieces that only point is trying to scare people. Dont worry about it, Im sure your ancestors had far more to worry about than that. I've been reading a book called Forgotten Voices, and the soldiers in the trenches were covered in mud and other things 24/7.
  • edited October 2011
    I'm always dubious about sharing spliffs

Don't you mean, "doobie-ous"? :D

But yeah, there's probably traces of fecal matter all over the place but eh, I haven't gotten sick in a long time (except from after drinking, but that's not an illness). Can your immune system buff itself up after being subject to these traces of turd for long enough? Regardless, I feel like cleaning my apartment now.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    i wouldn't be surprised if everything was coved in a fine layer of shit

LOL we should write a totse book and that should be the title.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    My maternal Mother is a "germaphobe" as was her mother. They both get/got sick all the time. Both of them even wash fruit with either a mild detergent or one of those "produce washes" because "The mexcian who pick the produce don't wash their hands after they poop".

I don't sweat it and hardly ever get sick. Not to say I don't wash my hands after I shit but worrying about little poop traces jumping on to your toothbrush is just a bit too neurotic for me to bother with. If your immune system is never challenged it can not poperly strengthen.
    edited October 2011
    Oh, its just another one of those sensationalist pieces that only point is trying to scare people. Dont worry about it, Im sure your ancestors had far more to worry about than that. I've been reading a book called Forgotten Voices, and the soldiers in the trenches were covered in mud and other things 24/7.

Your ancestors had the shitter outside where it could do no damage. We could learn a lot from this hahaha.

And 1/2 the soldiers in the trenches died of dysentery and the like.
  • edited October 2011
    chippy wrote: »

I keep my toothbrush in my closet and rinse it with boiling water before and after each use. A little less shit in my mouth
    edited October 2011
    I keep my toothbrush in one of those plastic travel cases. And once a week I stick it in the dishwasher to sterilise it.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    Fuck me, this thread makes me feel unhygenic. I've never ran my toothbrush under hot water, I rarely shower and often don't both to wash my hands after I piss (in my defense on that last one, the toilet seat is usually up and the door is usually open, so I'm only really touching my dick, nothing else.)
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited October 2011
    My phone most certainly has traces of fecal matter on it although I wash my hands after I make doodoo I also have been known to put the phone Mic to my bare Ass and cart depending on who I'm conversing with.