A logical fallacy

MelonMelon New Arrival
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
How is it that freemasons of the 33rd degree are eligible to be Shriners? (An order that uses muslim symbology)...

This video is blatantly anti muslim @ 7:47
[video=youtube_share;DbhoqLzKKUI]

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    It seems to me that freemasons are anti Muslim(I.E. Blaming fundamentalists for 9-11)

You are the one with the logical fallacy. This is what you're saying:
    " Extremist Muslims are responsible for 9/11 therefore all Muslims are bad"

If i condemn Anders Breivik (who was, in his mind, defending white Christian Norway) am i condemning all Christians?
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited October 2011
    It is by your connotation that Allah is the god and devil and "everything" wrapped into one nice little package. You can believe this If you choose to as your own personal truth but it leads me to believe that you're knowledge of the Koran is very limited. While I am neither a Christian nor a Muslim I have read many of their religious books and spoken with several people who follow them. It is my understanding that they are two sides of the same story both which vilify a demonic character know as Satan or Shaitan. Neither hold any claims that their god is part of that entity.

Furthermore not all 33rd degree Masons are Muslim. The fact is that nobody really knows what being a 33rd degree Mason truly entails except the 33rd degree Masons whom a lot of people falsely claim to be because it makes for what you would hope to be an interesting conversation. Sure they are eligible to be Shriners at that point but this does not mean they are forced to be Shriners.

There is a lot of mystery shrouding the Masons especially concerning their 33rd degree. It sounds like you've been mislead. I'd advise you to check the legitimacy of your sources or at least cite them. I wouldn't trust anything on the internet or television in this matter. The media is influenced in several different areas especially by people as powerful as Masons.
  • MelonMelon New Arrival
    edited October 2011
    I would have deleted this 5 minuets ago, but cant seem to find out how. Waste of time sorry.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    So much misinformation. does no one check their facts any longer?

Firstly, any full member is eligible to become a shriner, not just level 33.

Secondly there is no mention of becoming a Muslim.

All members are free to follow whatever religion they so wish. The only stipulation is that they accept the existence of a deity.

Thirdly, you don't ride round town on a fez, a fez is a hat that you wear, and the little car you mention is a bike.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    Being a 33rd degree mason has nothing to do with becoming a Shriner. In order to be a Shriner you have to be a mason yes, but not a 33rd degree.

The 33rd degree is a honorary degree given to masons in recognition of service to the craft.

Masonry works like this.

Blue lodge-first 3 degrees

Scottish rite-degree 4-32

York rite- degree 4-32

You can join any of these different rites or none of them. The only time religion is brought into these rites is with the York. Religion plays no factor in becoming a Mason. You can become a Mason if you are any religion color or creed. In order to become a Mason you have to believe in one god. Masons don't care what or who it is. This is why allot of religions don't care for Freemasons because they don't worship a specific god or follow a specific religion as a group.

You can join the shrine once you have been passed through the first 3 degrees. The shrine is just a "social" club for the free masons. In the other lodges you are not allowed to drink, but the shrine is different. The shrine is based more around family events, and its basic purpose its to have fun and raise money for sick children. The reason for the "Muslim" influence is a very simple answer. Its not really meant to be Muslim its based on Egypt. When the shrine was created Egypt was very trendy ie..king tuts tomb etc. They took those ideas and created the Shrine because it was popular at the time. You have to remember back then they weren't as politically correct as we are now, so wearing a fez that was red because it was dipped in blood of the infidels was part of the joke.

I can understand why there is so much misinformation floating around, but there are reasons why Masons were secretive. That time has passed, but it may come again so its best to keep the things that are secret hidden in case they are needed again. If you want to ask me some questions feel free I will do the best I can to answer them.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I think melon has learned a lesson here. Don't try to post serious topics when shit faced.
  • MelonMelon New Arrival
    edited October 2011
    Ugh yeah... was blackout texting ex gf too last night. The whole liquor before beer thing is true:rolleyes:
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    I think melon has learned a lesson here. Don't try to post serious topics when shit faced.

Or sober.

What on earth has the fictitious Illumicorp to do with freemasonry?