The Classic Rock Thread of &T

Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Well, as the title implies, this thread is all about classic rock. 60's and 70's. Post your favorite classic bands, give random facts about said bands, or post some music.

My top 5 favorites:
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin (yeah lots of people don't like 'em but I don't really care)
AC/DC (again, lots of people here don't like 'em but I don't care)
Jimmy Hendrix (came up with some of the best guitar riffs ever)
Alice Cooper

Comments

• AzureAzure Acolyte
    edited July 2010
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    I used to hate AC/DC, because from a musician's standpoint, they use the same song structure for every song, but I've come to terms with them. The AC/DC Live is actually quite amazing.

Oh, and Blue Öyster Cult deserves sooo much more respect than they get.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2010
    I have the AC/DC live dvd. It was pretty spectacular. I personally like Bon Scott better as a singer though.

I haven't really listened to Blue Öyster Cult. I should give them a chance though.
  • edited July 2010
    I've seen Alice Cooper & BOC live. BOC was the worst concert I've ever been to. But Alice Cooper puts on a pretty kick-ass show.

Also, prog rock/psych stuff like Pink Floyd, Egg, Gong, Jacula, Aksak Maboul, Pearls Before Swine, etc. is good.

The Doors are aight.

Everything else deemed "classic rock" is yuppie garbage.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't really listened to Blue Öyster Cult. I should give them a chance though.

I hate to say it, but a lot of their albums sucked. You'd have to nitpick through the filler to get to the good stuff, but I'd just recommend the Workshop of the Telescopes two-disc set. You could call it a greatest hits CD, but there's so much more to it. Their live albums fucking rock, though, because they tend to jam.
    I've seen Alice Cooper & BOC live. BOC was the worst concert I've ever been to. But Alice Cooper puts on a pretty kick-ass show.

What happened at the BOC concert?
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited July 2010
    An obvious one but a goodie anyway.

• edited July 2010
    Pig wrote: »

What happened at the BOC concert?

It was at a sit-down theater, everyone there was over 50, the whole band got really fat, they played some really shitty songs with no motivation or energy and didn't interact with the crowd. I was bored to death and incredibly pissed off. If I had the chance to go back in time I would punch everyone in the band in the stomach afterwards for getting old and not caring because they wipe their ass with trillion dollar bills.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited July 2010
    It was at a sit-down theater, everyone there was over 50, the whole band got really fat, they played some really shitty songs with no motivation or energy and didn't interact with the crowd. I was bored to death and incredibly pissed off. If I had the chance to go back in time I would punch everyone in the band in the stomach afterwards for getting old and not caring because they wipe their ass with trillion dollar bills.

I mean I don't know what to say to that, but their A Long Day's Night live album from a couple years ago still had them jamming. Maybe it was just a bad night for them or something. And for real, who'd you expect to be at a BOC concert? The fanbase is like, your parents.

Anyways, I'm contributing Wishbone Ash, because Argus was a beautiful album.

• SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    No one's mentioned Creedence Clearwater Revival? I'm offended!

This music brings back so many memories. My father played CCR in the house all the time as I was growing up. He's a Vietnam Vet so that's probably why. So now its kind of been ingrained on me or something. I love it.

• duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010

^Not the original, but I like this version better
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2010
    Good stuff.
  • 0omnidirectional0omnidirectional New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    Good stuff in this thread

Nektar

Camel
    edited July 2010

This song always relaxes me. It's absolutely fantastic.

• Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't even really like classic rock :o