Break An Egg With One Hand.

jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
edited January 2012 in Spurious Generalities
With todays world getting busier and busier and with many people on there phones 24/7, its becoming more and more important to be able to multitask. And sometimes multitasking forces you to complete tasks with only one hand. That is why I have decided to write a little guide on the DO's and DO NOT's of the art of one handed egg breaking.

Now before I start I would like to stress the importance of buying eggs from local sources such as farmers markets or possibly your Nan (or someone else in your neighbourhood with Hens). Happy free Hen's lay happy eggs and happy eggs taste and more importantly break better.

You will need:
1x egg
1x solid vessel with a hard edge

Method:
1-Pick the egg up with your index finger, middle finger and thumb. Then position them so that your index finger is holding the top of the egg, your middle finger is holding somewhere in between the middle and the bottom and place your thumb on the opposite side with the 'ball' and tip of the first joint flat against the egg.
706ea9d5.jpg

2-Strike the egg firmly and quickly in the space between your middle finger and thumb aiming to crack the egg just above your middle finger. (It is best to use the edge of your vessel to make this crack)
089bdecd.jpg

3-Now for the tricky part! In one fluid movement move the tip of your middle finger so it is palced on the edge of the crack, apply a small amount of pressure with the ball of your thumb and move the knuckles on your index and middle fingers away and apart from each other.
a71f43d5.jpg
7a129d80.jpg
9ea831a5.jpg

You want to be left with two intact halves. It is important that you do not crush the bottom half with you middle finger, as this will damage the yolk and/or get shell in your egg.
e2d527dc.jpg

So there you have it! With a little practice you will be WOWING people with your l337 egg skills and hopefully saving a little time by having that extra hand free ...

xJEHSIBOIx

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Protip - the remaining eggshell is the best thing to fish out the bits of eggshell with.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    this is true
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm just saying I've never seen anyone crack an egg with two hands. hahah.

Might as well be constructive. Also, don't crack eggs on the "edge" of anything. It pushes the shell inside the egg and makes it more likely to leave particles inside. You're better off cracking it on a solid surface like a countertop.

You should post an "egg separation" guide. Separating yolks from whites. That might be helpful. Also, maybe some egg storage tips, like letting your eggs come to room temperature before attempting any Bearnaises or baking.
  • edited October 2011
    I eat my eggs raw like out of the rocky movies so those guides would serve me not.

I crack those eggs one handed on the side of my mug before mixing in some bonus milk and protein powder. I usually have to sub in a second hand because I do this in the morning when my motor skills are on par with my haircut.
  • edited October 2011
    I can't crack an egg with 2 hands very well, let alone 1 :facepalm: Good tips though, I didn't realize that cracking it on a solid surface worked better... In fact I didn't even think about using a solid surface at all :D Good stuff though, thanks for sharing.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    OK Trx I can't resist. What do you normally crack your eggs on if not a solid? Gels? :D

On Topc: Nice guide I will put this up on the CMS later.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Useful thread, Jehsiboi. I learnt how to do this when I was working with the Army and it saved so much time. And yeah Trx, I'm also intrigued to know what you crack your eggs on which is either solid, liquid or gas ;)

A guide on seperating yolk from white would be damn useful too. It's easy to fuck up.
  • JackedJacked Regular
    edited October 2011
    Good thread! I use my index finger on far top and thumb wrapped around bottom and middle finger bent near bottom. just like clicking your fingers Kind of. Tip: as u deprecate shells lift up to force liquid out with gravity.

Bon appetite fukers
  • edited January 2012
    I think what you crack the egg on is very important too. If you use a flat surface, you will create an oval shaped fracture on the shell, increasing the odds that a chunk of shell will drop with the egg. If you use too sharp a surface you have the same problem, only with a smaller piece of shell. Something with a tight but rounded curve is optimal, and tapping the egg just at its widest point increases the chance of a clean break. I one hand my eggs, but I don't get showy anymore, too out of practice.

C/O
    "Green eggs and green eggs and green eggs and green eggs, fuck you Sam I am and your green eggs and speed, I mean ham."
  • imoscardotcomimoscardotcom Acolyte
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for this thread. I eat way too many eggs to not know these basics, no more shell bits for me! :cool:
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Awesome guide :D I tend to break an egg using a folk (I meant fork), and then two hands to separate the shell. Hasn't failed me yet, but I'll try the one handed approach as it'll look cooler! mmmm, fried eggs are the best.

Moved from Oral Indulgences to the CMS as a How-To :)
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited January 2012
    Awesome guide :D I tend to break an egg using a folk, and then two hands to separate the shell. Hasn't failed me yet, but I'll try the one handed approach as it'll look cooler! mmmm, fried eggs are the best.

Moved from Oral Indulgences to the CMS as a How-To :)

Don't folk complain about getting egg on their face?
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    chippy wrote: »
    Don't folk complain about getting egg on their face?

Haha, nice one :P I thought it didnt look right, just couldn't pinpoint it! A fail on my part I think :facepalm:
    edited January 2012
    Hehe yeah I thought something was a bit forked up there.
    edited January 2012
    There are several methods to break an egg with one hand as in the example below for instance.
    edited January 2012
    edited January 2012
    I wonder if this guy could break an egg on end?
    edited January 2012
    Hahaha Eggcelent