Post rating system

edited October 2011 in Help and Suggestions
I think that as the userbase grows it will become more important to be able to recongise who is making quality posts and who isnt.

Im not talking about some point gathering thing, but a simple good or bad feedback scale so even if people are lurkers and make one post a week they can get good feedback also.

It also means posters with a high postcount who arent contributing anything will be identified also and is a soft encouragement to post quality.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    While I appreciate and applaud your effort to make a useful suggestion my personal feeling is that this type of thing turns into clickish popularity contest. That being said I am not dead set against it and if the community is behind it and Dfg agrees it won't upset me in any way.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    I think if you need an ego massage to encourage you to make decent posts, then maturity is seriously lacking.
  • edited October 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    I think if you need an ego massage to encourage you to make decent posts, then maturity is seriously lacking.

I need no encouragement to make 5 star rated posts. Excellence is a habit.
    While I appreciate and applaud your effort to make a useful suggestion my personal feeling is that this type of thing turns into clickish popularity contest. That being said I am not dead set against it and if the community is behind it and Dfg agrees it won't upset me in any way.

Very much so.

But if it goes from being a numerical measurable thing to a simple 'yes, maybe or no' sort of scale that would be less likely to happen.
    edited October 2011
    If anyone needs to look at a rating system to work out if a poster is good or bad, they shouldn't be posting here. Were all mature enough to decide that for ourselves. However if you want to implement a popularity fuckfest feature, please include the option to not display it for those of us mature enough not to want to take part in such shenanigans.
  • edited October 2011
    If anyone needs to look at a rating system to work out if a poster is good or bad, they shouldn't be posting here. Were all mature enough to decide that for ourselves. However if you want to implement a popularity fuckfest feature, please include the option to not display it for those of us mature enough not to want to take part in such shenanigans.

Negativity gets downvoted
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    if you want to appeal to the masses of the internet i am afraid this is something that they would want
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm with chippy.
    I suppose it could help new users figure out who knows their shit or not.
    However, for any veterans or those of us who don't want to see the potential circle jerk in action, I would only tip my hat to the idea if displaying it was optional.
    I do see it turning into a convoluted popularity contest like it was on the original board before the admins took it off.
  • edited October 2011
    I'm with chippy.
    I suppose it could help new users figure out who knows their shit or not.
    However, for any veterans or those of us who don't want to see the potential circle jerk in action, I would only tip my hat to the idea if displaying it was optional.
    I do see it turning into a convoluted popularity contest like it was on the original board before the admins took it off.

There was no rating system on origional totse - they removed postcounts because that became a defacto ranking.

A simple scale that doesnt involve 'HERP UPVOTE ME' or 'IMMA DOWNVOTE YOU' and instead just has a simple 'green', 'yellow' or 'red' colour to indicate if the poster should be taken seriously will be needed when the forum grows.
    edited October 2011
    Please define why it will be needed.
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited October 2011

I approve this message. Why do you need to know who is making "quality posts" ? Just read the shit. If you mean you want to read long-winded drawn out posts, then more power to you. Everyone doesn't want to write guides for everything. Some stuff you have to figure out/already know.

And besides, that's already implemented in a way. That's why there is a column which displays how many times a thread has been read. That should be good enough for you.
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php/20562-Break-An-Egg-With-One-Hand.

This is a prime example of Totse needing a guide for absolutely everything. If this is what you consider "quality contribution" you are seriously dense, and I will write an article on how to sharpen a pencil followed by one on how to take out the garbage.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    im sorry what exactly is your problem with my thread?
  • edited October 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    im sorry what exactly is your problem with my thread?

Precisely why we need a rating system.

We got one guy here saying that this thread is terrible and insulting jehsiboi while the actual thread itself is nothing but positive replies.

With the rating system people the prevailing ratings would be the indicator of true popularity amongst the user base. Not a circle jerk - but a frame of reference for people to understand what is like and what is not.

Like im hanging out thinking im being awesome and then someone is pm'ing TDR about it MEANWHILE I HAVE NO IDEA WHATS GOING ON. A rating system is the way that people can get a feel; a tangible feel for how this is going to work.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited October 2011
    I didnt see anything wrong with it. It was a well formatted thread. the only thing dense about was the information. its was great! short sharp and straight to the point and most importantly easy to understand. i'v always wanted to learn how crack an egg with one hand. once I actually asked some one to teach me and they replied "you have to be a women".
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited October 2011
    There was no rating system on origional totse - they removed postcounts because that became a defacto ranking.

A simple scale that doesnt involve 'HERP UPVOTE ME' or 'IMMA DOWNVOTE YOU' and instead just has a simple 'green', 'yellow' or 'red' colour to indicate if the poster should be taken seriously will be needed when the forum grows.

Yes, there was.
    Once UBB was swapped out with VBul, there was a post ranking system in place for a few months.
    That said, if you're talking pre-VBul, you're right.
    Users could only up or down vote, and leave short (non-post) comments on the post itself.
    The rankings were shown both on the post and overall user ranking indicated by green boxes.
    The same add-on should be available on the current VBul build we're using now.

TDR- I'm not 100% convinced it's needed, per say.
    Could be useful, could be a steaming pile of shit.
  • edited October 2011
    I swear we already had a thread rating system in place... I remember giving threads a star rating out of 5 at some point, for sure. Whether it's a good idea or not is another story. I'm not sure it would be used enough to really benefit the community, although it could be a good idea to implement on the CMS where people can rate articles out of 5? :D This might give people an inscentive to write more, better articles.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    The newer generation of Internet users need some sort of ego boost from their narcissistic posts, I mean look at Facebook with it's "Like" feature.
    However, I believe that after a while here, you tend to notice the good, constructive posters and therefore won't need a rating system.
    For guides it may be a different thing as that sort of feedback is different from a thread created for discussion purposes - plus a thread can always improve or get worse depending on who posts there, in which case, refer to my 2nd line.
    edited October 2011
    I would not be opposed to a "Thanks" feature such as at Z*klet as a compromise but I would just as fine if not finer without it. At least with that system it is just a way of expressing approval of a post (not thread) without the possibility of it being used to negatively label a post. If a post is shit there is no need to point that out as I would simply move it to NIMF if another staff member does not beat me to it.
    edited October 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I swear we already had a thread rating system in place... I remember giving threads a star rating out of 5 at some point, for sure. Whether it's a good idea or not is another story. I'm not sure it would be used enough to really benefit the community, although it could be a good idea to implement on the CMS where people can rate articles out of 5? :D This might give people an inscentive to write more, better articles.

Now rating articles would be a good idea. Maybe a yes/no question at the end like "was this article useful" Some of the articles are quite long, and it would be useful to know before reading it all, if it was likely to be worth it. Possibly displayed using a 5 star thread rating or the like. I don't know if this would be possible or not.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited October 2011
    I understand why you want it, but I really think it'll turn into some kind of glam "I GOT THE MOST LIKES" kinda shit. Then before you know it, people will be like "IF YOU LIKE IT, RATE IT!" in their signatures. I'm totally okay with out knowing what people think of my posts. Ratings can bring out what people like, but it can also bring out what people dislike, which is where people get stingy.
  • edited October 2011
    I understand why you want it, but I really think it'll turn into some kind of glam "I GOT THE MOST LIKES" kinda shit. Then before you know it, people will be like "IF YOU LIKE IT, RATE IT!" in their signatures. I'm totally okay with out knowing what people think of my posts. Ratings can bring out what people like, but it can also bring out what people dislike, which is where people get stingy.

As long as people who arent liked dont get all jelly and mad about it that wont happen.

And if it is a simple UNRANKED, NO WANK NUMBER - like theres 3 or so classes you can be, and you're either good, mediocre or bad. Too easy. Not enough room for a wankfest.

In my experience though people tend to be highly jellymad. I do anticipate high levels of jellitin from player haters when we implement the new system.
    edited October 2011
    Look around in this threas MoMT it is very unlikely this will be implemented. This site is not run by popular vote it is run by the staff and ultimately by the admin.