How do you remember the alphabet?

edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I have to sometimes sing the alphabet song (same tune as twintwinkle little star) to myself in my head while going through a dictionary or the phonebook because I get lost and loose track otherwise. It certainly helps if nothing else.

Does anyone else do this or am I very, very special?

Comments

• BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    I have to sometimes sing the alphabet song (same tune as twintwinkle little star) to myself in my head while going through a dictionary or the phonebook because I get lost and loose track otherwise. It certainly helps if nothing else.

Does anyone else do this or am I very, very special?

HOLY SHIT, THAT'S A REVELATION. I never realised! :facepalm:

Anyway, yeah I do this a lot when looking shit up in the dictionary. Like, I still have no idea what order t, r and s go in unless I sing the song.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    im the same i think most people do this to help them remember, unless you alphabetically order stuff everyday that is ... then you would have taught your self a sort of numerical value for each letter i guess ...
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Working with numerology also gives you a different associative tool to memorize the alphabet.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    I remember the Alphabet in two parts from A to K and then from L - Z
    I can start from either A or L.

I look at a letter and i can figure out which part of the alphabet it belongs too (Upper half or Lower half).

All this is aided by the alphabet song.
  • The DukeThe Duke Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, I do this as well. Wish I knew it backwards, that would help with sobriety tests! :)
  • edited October 2011
    Twinkle twinkle little star, every time :thumbsup: It's the way I was taught when I was at school, and I guess it's stuck with me ever since.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited October 2011
    The Duke wrote: »
    Yeah, I do this as well. Wish I knew it backwards, that would help with sobriety tests! :)
    Seeing them on TV allways makes me laugh.
    I cant do it sober, how the fuck could I do it shitfaced?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Lysdexic wrote: »
    Seeing them on TV allways makes me laugh.
    I cant do it sober, how the fuck could I do it shitfaced?

that is why they ask you to do it. They don't expect anyone to actually be able to say the alphabet backwards sober or not. But if you say, "WTF, I couldn't do that sober yet alone drunk", that creates reasonable suspicion/probable cause and allows them to force the administration of a breath test.

Yuor best response is something like, "I am sorry officer but I do not know the alphabet backwards". If they insist simply repeat that phrase and add so I am not going to attempt that. This can not be used as reasonable suspicion/ probable cause no more that a one legged man paraplegic refusing to walk a straight line could be used.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited October 2011
    I remember the Alphabet in two parts from A to K and then from L - Z
    I can start from either A or L.

I look at a letter and i can figure out which part of the alphabet it belongs too (Upper half or Lower half).

All this is aided by the alphabet song.

I'm the same way. A and L are my reference point for every other letter.
    The only way I'm actually able to say the alphabet backwards is waayyyyy too much time spent texting with a 12 key phone.
    Had it memorized for so long so I could text without looking at the phone that I just go through the keys backwards numerically.
    It takes a bit of thought, but it works for me.