Let's talk Hot Sauces

RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
edited October 2011 in Life
Got a wild hair today and bought a bottle of Blair's Ultra Death Sauce.

pic:
331904_10150311698944170_505344169_7737008_507047013_o.jpg

Thought, well fuck.
I've had some of their stuff before.
Can't be THAT bad.
SHU's are not listed on the package.
After some googling, it came in at 1.1mil Scovilles.
For however long you let it go, it feels akin to dropping hot embers in your mouth.
There is some chipotle type flavor to it.
I see some amazing chicken wings in my future.

What are your own preferences for spicing things up?
Do you venture into the same territory?
Why do YOU like torturing your tongue?
Let's get some recommendations going. :D

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited September 2011
    I prefer to retain the ability to taste my food, so I go for Sriracha, Tabasco Chipotle, El Yucateco, and Cholula. Every once in a while I'll have some sort of habanero sauce, but on the whole I'm not interested in building the spice tolerance.
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited September 2011
    I was chucking some hot sauce in a pot of food the other week, but wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it was and most of the bottle went it.
    Fucking hell that was hot, really couldn't taste much apart from hotness.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited September 2011
    I got over the romance of destroying my palate, esophagus, and asshole a long time ago. My AP hotsauce is Tapatio and Sirachi
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Aye, hot sauce is fine as long as I can taste the food lol It extends to any of the Peri Peri sauces from Nandos :)
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited October 2011
    Sriracha is the one. I think there's little reason to eat hot sauce just to burn the shit out of yourself It's gotta taste good.

Oh shit, I forgot about chilula that one is great too.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    I don't know what this shit was called, but I put no more than four drops on my $2 taco and I fuck will never forget that experience. My whole head was engulfed, endorphins kicked in and I started to feel detached from reality... Tears were pouring out my eyes and my nose was running, I was a mess.. My mouth was stinging for hours afterwards ..

I read the label after the tears dyed up and I could see properly and the only words in English on this tiny bottle that packed one hell of a punch was, 'it won't kill you, but It will make you wish it did'
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited October 2011
    what makes hot things hot?
    does anyone know
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    its the pain fibres in the tongue responding to the capsaicin compound in chilli peppers or some shit ... i could be wrong
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited October 2011
    It has something to do with how capsaicin interacts with nerve sensors in the human body.
    If if you've ever had something super spicy burn your skin, you (like me) know from experience it's not just the tongue that's effected.
    Whatever it is that sets it off in humans, some animals, such as birds, aren't effected at all by the chemical.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited October 2011
    One time I ate a spoonful of Black Widow hot sauce on an empty stomach. After a bad stomach ache I threw it back up burning my mouth again plus the inside of my nose.

Now I only use mild hot sauces.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited October 2011
    ah I see, well hot going in hot going out!