The Future of Half Baked

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Seeing as we have moved in a new direction that does not include trolling and flaming I am doubting the need for the HB forum. I mean why have a place that allows behavior that we have determined is undesirable? This poll is informal and not binding but I just wanted to get the thoughts of others on this matter for my own curiosity.

Comments

• dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited October 2011
    I always hated that place. A forum thats sole purpose is shit? If you are going to post shit, or feel the need to do so on a discussion site, you should not be here. HB does nothing but atract the shithawks. Shithawks are always coming. They are flying in low, they are swooping on down, shitting on people and dragging them off to the big shitnest that is HB.

Delete that hole.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    I always hated that place. A forum thats sole purpose is shit? If you are going to post shit, or feel the need to do so on a discussion site, you should not be here. HB does nothing but atract the shithawks. Shithawks are always coming. They are flying in low, they are swooping on down, shitting on people and dragging them off to the big shitnest that is HB.

Delete that hole.

LOL, perfect Trailer Park Boys reference. :thumbsup:
    edited October 2011
    LOL, perfect Trailer Park Boys reference. :thumbsup:

HB = shitabbyss

Shits feeds flys and flys spread disease.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited October 2011
    I see Im the minority vote.

Like every city needs a trailerpark, I believe a forum needs a designated section to be less than serious. Somewhere to retreat to when reality becomes to unbearing or tiresome. Doesn't mean I condone shit threads. I think shit threads/posts should just be aborted in utero. HB threads can be innovative and ingenious in their own right, even though they aren't traditionally attempting to be.

Against HB, SG could cover the section. On the old Totse and &Z, SG and HB basically became one in the same, the only difference being userbase.

To summarize my sentiments, I'd say
    SG = Random, worth content, but serious
    HB = Random, worthy content, but not strictly speaking serious
    edited October 2011
    fag wrote: »

Like every city needs a trailerpark, I believe a forum needs a designated section to be less than serious. Somewhere to retreat to when reality becomes to unbearing or tiresome. Doesn't mean I condone shit threads. I think shit threads/posts should just be aborted in utero. HB threads can be innovative and ingenious in their own right, even though they aren't traditionally attempting to be.

Against HB, SG could cover the section. On the old Totse and &Z, SG and HB basically became one in the same, the only difference being userbase.

Yes.

Worthwhil shit - SG

Pointless shit - trashed in its own thread or linked group.

Would you invite a stranger into your home to take a shit on the carpet? Because that it what HB is. All it has ever been. A room to drop a shit on the carpet.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited October 2011
    Would you invite a stranger into your home to take a shit on the carpet?

Absolutely not. However I might invite them to shit on the lawn if I thought it would help vegetation. Or I might invite them to shit in my basement, if videotaping it yielded marketable content.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited November 2011
    I think we should keep HB.

I try my damnedest to contribute to threads I post to, and when I have an idea / thought that I want to post that isn't so well thought out, it goes in HB. I doubt anyone joins solely to shitpost in HB. Maybe I'm wrong. Think of what posters such as BHD would have done without HB. Probably would have disrupted even more conversation. Another reason to keep HB is it gives a place to vent. Besides B&M, I mean a place to vent when you're pissed and don't have shit for a good reason to be venting.

just my $2k
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited November 2011
    I reckon keep it.

It's a good place to post bullshit, and I suppose every site needs a bit of a 'cool down' zone. I don't think anyone will be attracted here for HB, and if some users only post there, then who cares? I understand it doesn't completely fit in with the new direction, but I honestly only see it becoming a problem if HB-style 'content' (if it could be called that) leaks out into other forums.
  • edited November 2011
    There should be an HB sub forum that is an unmoderated section.
    edited November 2011
    There should be an HB sub forum that is an unmoderated section.

That will never happen on my watch kiddo.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011
    I think it should be kept. It gives users a place to just bullshit around.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    I love hb!
    edited November 2011
    ^Fucking troll
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited November 2011
    ^ trollin' trolls since 1984
  • edited November 2011
    11 votes to 3. Half baked lives on.

I bet if you asked if HB should be unmoderated we'd see at least a 60%+ figure on that as well.
    edited November 2011
    11 votes to 3. Half baked lives on.

I bet if you asked if HB should be unmoderated we'd see at least a 60%+ figure on that as well.

Did you read the OP? This site is not community run. That is not to say that HB will be closed or that it will stay open. This poll was something from my information use and nothing more. It was not for my use as a staff member just for my own personal curiosity. The decision as to whether HB or any other forum for that matter will stay open or closed is not up to me or some silly poll. As to HB being moderated or not that will simply never happen period. I am a global mod and HB is on my globe.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011

HB on ToTSE was fun, especally when fully baked.
    Yes.

Worthwhil shit - SG

Pointless shit - trashed in its own thread or linked group.

Would you invite a stranger into your home to take a shit on the carpet? Because that it what HB is. All it has ever been. A room to drop a shit on the carpet.
    Absolutely not. However I might invite them to shit on the lawn if I thought it would help vegetation. Or I might invite them to shit in my basement, if videotaping it yielded marketable content.
    There used to be (or maybe its still there) a place in the middle of the woods near me that I think was set up for pretty much this purpose. If you found it, it was always good for some alcohol, or even other "consumables". We stashed "consumables" there, and even when they disappeared, there was always something just as good or even better laying around. It works if the people care about keeping things going.
    MarineBoat wrote: »
    I think we should keep HB.

I try my damnedest to contribute to threads I post to, and when I have an idea / thought that I want to post that isn't so well thought out, it goes in HB. I doubt anyone joins solely to shitpost in HB. Maybe I'm wrong. Think of what posters such as BHD would have done without HB. Probably would have disrupted even more conversation. Another reason to keep HB is it gives a place to vent. Besides B&M, I mean a place to vent when you're pissed and don't have shit for a good reason to be venting.

just my $2k
    This.
    Burn wrote: »
    I reckon keep it.

It's a good place to post bullshit, and I suppose every site needs a bit of a 'cool down' zone. I don't think anyone will be attracted here for HB, and if some users only post there, then who cares? I understand it doesn't completely fit in with the new direction, but I honestly only see it becoming a problem if HB-style 'content' (if it could be called that) leaks out into other forums.
    This. There should be a place for everything here.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited November 2011
    I remember talking about this on TeamSpeak.

I think HB should remain, no matter what direction we go in. HB is a place where we can just have a joke and a fuck around. We are all mature adults and we know where a joke should stop.

But I do get where you're coming from, and I think that HB should not contribute towards your post count.
    edited November 2011
    If HB remains I think the no flaming rule should still apply.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited November 2011
    ^ Well we have a whole section devoted to flaming.

It should basically stay as it is, but with no flaming, and posts don't count into post count.
  • edited November 2011
    Did you read the OP? This site is not community run. That is not to say that HB will be closed or that it will stay open. This poll was something from my information use and nothing more. It was not for my use as a staff member just for my own personal curiosity. The decision as to whether HB or any other forum for that matter will stay open or closed is not up to me or some silly poll. As to HB being moderated or not that will simply never happen period. I am a global mod and HB is on my globe.

Im about to do that thing where I ask several rhetorical questions in a row:

Are you implying dfg and yourself are not in the community?

The site is not community run? What the hell kind of statement is that?

This site is not a whole lot of community generated content, shared amongst the same user base, comment on by the users - where the popular threads thrive and the lame ones get no response?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    Im about to do that thing where I ask several rhetorical questions in a row:

Are you implying dfg and yourself are not in the community?

The site is not community run? What the hell kind of statement is that?

This site is not a whole lot of community generated content, shared amongst the same user base, comment on by the users - where the popular threads thrive and the lame ones get no response?
    Ahem, I call the shots. This poll is just to gather feedback.
  • edited November 2011
    Can we just keep HB and disable post count in that section?
    edited November 2011
    I^ could live with that as long as we can keep the personal attacks out of things or at least to a minimum.
  • edited November 2011
    Can we still bitch about people in the B&M forum?
    edited November 2011
    I guess the only restriction I know of in B&M is bitching about site policy. The procedure for that i to make a constructive thread in S&G to suggest a better way of doing things rather than to just whine about what you don't like in B&M. The only problem I see with bitching about another peron is the drama it can create but that will happen from time to time if we let it I suppose.