Could have pickpocketed an iPhone today. What would you have done? Tips welcome.

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited November 2011 in Man Cave
So I came out of my lecture today and on the way home I, like most other guys, was staring at female-arse height, but this caught my eye...
iPhone.jpg

:facepalm:

Look at the thing! Just up for a pinch and a good taking home. The iPhone, I meant. Not her arse.
I was tempted to knock into her and pretend I was in a rush, but didn't fancy being caught.

What would you have done? And after I pinched it, how would I go about moving it from my hand to a pocket or at least concealing it in a split-second? I've never actually picked a pocket, but this one was just an obvious fail on her part.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I would of been too distracted by walking around staring at my iphone with headphones in.
    You'd never get away with it either, the phone is there because shes checking it every three minutes and I bet she feels naked without it there.

And you can always clean the phone and use it again yourself - but knowing how important and how much personal data is stored on these things (contact lists, calendar, logins, etc) I would feel forever guilty.
    So no I wouldn't of done it.

And you'll never see neighbour heroes come out of nowhere faster than when a hot girl is in trouble.

I actually leave my own phone sitting on tables at cafes and around the place quite often, its not a fail. I know there are risks - but I happen to go nice places.

Its really a failure of society that we look at things from this paranoid pseudo criminal perspective that everyone is a potential victim all the time. The real failure is that the former statement is generally true.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Yeah I think she'd have known it. To be fair she was talking to her friend and was pretty engaged in coversation. I also had my earphones in.
    Not entirely sure how to deal with a stolen Smartphone as they are pretty good with security and tracking so it's not really worth it. Also trying to flog it would be pretty tricky.

It is quite sad that we look at things from a paranoid perspective. I am damn conscious of where I have my things at all times, and have never been pickpocketed.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    I never keep anything in my back pockets for this very reason.
  • edited November 2011
    For starters, if you'd have taken it she would have definitely noticed it very quickly. Her jeans are very tight around her butt - not good for pickpocketing. If she was wearing looser clothing however, you'd have been in for a substantially better chance. There IS a technique used to make a lift in this situation, and it's demonstrated perfectly by this Real Hustle video...

Let's say you HAD lifted the phone and she didn't notice. You'd need to palm it as best as you can, or keep it close to the front of your body with one hand while turning to the side slightly and apologizing to her. The phone won't be in her line of sight. Alternatively, if you have a jacket on you, sling it over the arm you're not using to make the lift. Once you've picked the pocket, conceal the phone with the jacket, apologize and make your way in a different direction.

You're good to have stayed away from what seemed like an easy lift :thumbsup:
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011
    When I was in high school all the country kids would have these really long wallets where half of it would be sticking out of the pocket. Combine that with some loose pants and you can't get a much easier target.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited November 2011
    I would have stolen it, no questions asked. I'm a terrible person with little to no morals. Someone who lets their expensive phone just hang out like that is not grateful for their possessions, her mommy probably bought it for her and if she lost it, she'd probably just buy her a new one. Nothing of value would be lost.

There are a few different ways to go about doing it but first I would watch her to see how often she checks her pocket or touches the phone. You would need at least a few minute window. Second, if there was a large group of people around, you could easily do the good old fashioned bump and grab. If not, depending on her attractiveness level and yours, strike up a conversation, make flirty small talk, etc. etc. if while she is distracted slowly slip her phone out of her pocket. The key to that one is body language. Make eye contact, smile a lot, make her seem like the center of attention. Try to make your body do those things that you subconsciously do when you are attracted to someone. Her body will subconsciously return the favor. If all is successful, she will be totally locked on to you and won't even notice you taking her phone. Of course, this idea only really works if 2 of the 3 following things are true: she is ugly, single, or you are a handsome son of a bitch, like me.
    edited November 2011
    I've heard of more than one case where someone had their iPhone stolen and the police used its GPS to track it down so keep that in mind if you're going to steal one.
    edited November 2011
    I've heard of more than one case where someone had their iPhone stolen and the police used its GPS to track it down so keep that in mind if you're going to steal one.

Yea, this is really simple to do. Keeping the simchip in it is just stupid. Basically the best idea is to take the sim out the second you get it and then wipe everything, do a restore, unlock the phone, all as fast as possible.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Dont forget that if you did steal it, then she would have reported it as stolen and then Apple would have deactivated it. Then you cant make any outgoing calls or receive any calls so it would be useless to sell. Still good for apps and camera, but I wouldnt risk myself just for that. Happened with my friend I think, he bought a cheap phone that was probably stolen and found he couldnt use it to maked calls. Probs a way round that, I didnt spend too much time thinking about it.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    I was gonna say - most smartphones can be remotely disabled. Chances are she doesn't know the IMEI (I think) number. But still if she reported it stolen or missing then the same will happen. Good idea about the jacket, Trx. Didn't think of that. Had one on but didn't think of having it over my arm. Would have been hard to strike up a chat as she was well into one with her mate. Saw another girl on the way to another lecture where once again, another girl had her phone hanging out of her pocket :facepalm:
  • edited November 2011
    Paco wrote: »
    Someone who lets their expensive phone just hang out like that is not grateful for their possessions, her mommy probably bought it for her and if she lost it, she'd probably just buy her a new one. Nothing of value would be lost.

Jellymad much? Its interesting you go from claiming no morals directly into justifying that she doesnt deserve the phone because she didnt earn it.
    You havent earnt it either.

If your parents bought you a nice gift (like a laptop) because you were still studying or whatever and you had your back turned on it for 5 minutes and it was gone you'd be devo. Yeah, you probably would go buy another one when you were able too as well - but it is a sad state of affairs that people are all so cutthroat to each other and over simple things as well. We have a grown man here who is scared to keep things in his back pockets.

If you carry this attitude you can no longer complain about massive gated communities and one security guard or a cop for every 5 people in any public place.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    edited November 2011
    Jellymad much? Its interesting you go from claiming no morals directly into justifying that she doesnt deserve the phone because she didnt earn it.
    You havent earnt it either.

If your parents bought you a nice gift (like a laptop) because you were still studying or whatever and you had your back turned on it for 5 minutes and it was gone you'd be devo. Yeah, you probably would go buy another one when you were able too as well - but it is a sad state of affairs that people are all so cutthroat to each other and over simple things as well. We have a grown man here who is scared to keep things in his back pockets.

If you carry this attitude you can no longer complain about massive gated communities and one security guard or a cop for every 5 people in any public place.

My opinion about spoiled kids is pretty biased because I go to school with a bunch of spoiled brats who get the best phones, laptops, cars, etc etc from their parents. Some kid in my school got a brand new 2011 Toyota Corolla. She totaled the thing. Two weeks later, she had a new Camry. I see kids with brand new iPhone 4S's who really could care less about how much it cost because their parents buy them everything they want. I personally wasn't brought up like that. The only reason I have an iPhone 3g is because I bought it myself. And if my parents were to buy me a nice laptop, which they won't, I'd be lucky to get them to go half on my macbook, I wouldn't leave it around, It would be in my bag which I would watch like a hawk or in my hands/on my lap in use, because I don't get nice things very often.

Also, how exactly does me saying what I said make me Jelly or Mad? and another thing, I would definitely say I earned it if I stole it right out of the girl's pocket. That's not always simple work my friend.
    edited November 2011
    Picking pockets takes skill so if you pick someones pocket for their phone you earned it IMO.
  • edited November 2011
    My opinion about spoiled kids is pretty biased because I go to school with a bunch of spoiled brats who get the best phones, laptops, cars, etc etc from their parents. Some kid in my school got a brand new 2011 Toyota Corolla. She totaled the thing. Two weeks later, she had a new Camry. I see kids with brand new iPhone 4S's who really could care less about how much it cost because their parents buy them everything they want. I personally wasn't brought up like that. The only reason I have an iPhone 3g is because I bought it myself. And if my parents were to buy me a nice laptop, which they won't, I'd be lucky to get them to go half on my macbook, I wouldn't leave it around, It would be in my bag which I would watch like a hawk or in my hands/on my lap in use, because I don't get nice things very often.

I'm not trying to hassle you; but you are clearly jealous and somewhat mad. And why not.
    You're getting your chops busted over a 3G and they're handed a 4s - and writing off a car generally has severe consequences, but hey heres a new one!

Being in that environment would easily lead one to be both jealous and frustrated that the percieved rules of society dont apply. My advice would be keep getting as much perspective as you can.

One thing I really really love is seeing inefficient businesses fail; from the cafe that gave shit customer service to the massive bank that was shorting their own customers investments. If these people are shitting out their money on new shit and breaking it everyday they wont have it for too much longer. Its not soon after someone forgets the value of a dollar that they stop having any - and unless these kids can match their parents earning potentials they're going to be suffering later on.

It'd be fucking baller to get a fresh car every time i wrote one off and a new iphone every time they came out - and realistically the only thing that stops those things happening is myself.

If you want nice shit go out and get it; theres more corollas and iphones in the world than every before in history and more made every minute. If you have enough brain cells to rub together these things can easily be yours. Really really easily.
    I wouldn't leave it around, It would be in my bag which I would watch like a hawk or in my hands/on my lap in use.... I would definitely say I earned it if I stole it right out of the girl's pocket. That's not always simple work my friend.

So your going to constantly have it strapped to your body? Watching like a hawk. Sounds like a great way to enjoy yourself.

If you left it at home and somebody broke into your house and stole it would you smile and say "Wow that junkie really earnt that macbook - I hope he enjoys it as much as I did!".
    If you caught a guy trying to get it out of your backpack would you grin and say "Awwww nice try buddy but i caught you! Maybe try threatening me with a knife for it?"
    Pick pocketing is like punching someone in the dark.

And dont start on any 'honour among thieves' code about how pick pocketing is superior to burgulary because its the same shit.
    edited November 2011
    I'm not trying to hassle you; but you are clearly jealous and somewhat mad. And why not.
    You're getting your chops busted over a 3G and they're handed a 4s - and writing off a car generally has severe consequences, but hey heres a new one!

Being in that environment would easily lead one to be both jealous and frustrated that the percieved rules of society dont apply. My advice would be keep getting as much perspective as you can.
    I still don't see my feeling about the situation as 'mad' or 'jelly'. I'm perfectly accepting of the things that I have. I would much rather have my iPhone 3G, the iPhone 4s isn't that great to me, also a brand new Toyota doesnt strike my fancy either. Was just an example. I would much rather drive a worn in truck that would survive a crash if I was in one.
    One thing I really really love is seeing inefficient businesses fail; from the cafe that gave shit customer service to the massive bank that was shorting their own customers investments. If these people are shitting out their money on new shit and breaking it everyday they wont have it for too much longer. Its not soon after someone forgets the value of a dollar that they stop having any - and unless these kids can match their parents earning potentials they're going to be suffering later on.

It'd be fucking baller to get a fresh car every time i wrote one off and a new iphone every time they came out - and realistically the only thing that stops those things happening is myself.

If you want nice shit go out and get it; theres more corollas and iphones in the world than every before in history and more made every minute. If you have enough brain cells to rub together these things can easily be yours. Really really easily.

You see, the shitty part of it all is, they probably will match the earning potential of their parents and their parents have the same attitude towards things as the kids. Being successful isn't really about what you know, its about who you know. Connections are what makes business business, these spoiled ass kids will grow up to be just like their parents, and the attractive ones who don't, well they're just going to marry someone who was.
    So your going to constantly have it strapped to your body? Watching like a hawk. Sounds like a great way to enjoy yourself.

Constantly having it strapped to my body? Well, considering I normally carry a backpack anyway, yea, i will have it 'strapped to my body' Adding one pound to a bag i carry regularly changes absolutely nothing.
    If you left it at home and somebody broke into your house and stole it would you smile and say "Wow that junkie really earnt that macbook - I hope he enjoys it as much as I did!".
    If you caught a guy trying to get it out of your backpack would you grin and say "Awwww nice try buddy but i caught you! Maybe try threatening me with a knife for it?"
    Pick pocketing is like punching someone in the dark.

And dont start on any 'honour among thieves' code about how pick pocketing is superior to burgulary because its the same shit.

And right here is where I stopped taking your post seriously. You are obviously a moron, this is obviously not what would happen at all. If a junkie broke into my house, I would wonder how he got in. All my doors are dead bolted and my windows are bulletproof. If anyone broke in while I was out, the alarm would go off and the police would come, not to mention the fact that my dog doesn't like strangers. Even if he were to get into my house, he would have to go all the way upstairs and find my room, the most distant room in the house. A junkie wouldn't go through that much trouble, he would probably take the TV from my living room and maybe something from my Den.

Also, if someone were to try and take something out of my backpack, of course i wouldn't turn around and be polite, i would obviously yell at the person, tell them to GTFO, etc. etc. I do have a knife on me at most times depending on the area I am in so hey, if I feel the need, I'd take it out. Problem Solved.

If you want to troll me or try to aggravate me, I highly suggest you try a little harder, kid.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    I wouldn't have stolen it. I would have groped her though and told her i was trying to steal her phone (P.S. wanna fuck?)
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited November 2011
    My jeans are usually too tight for me to fucking get thing outta my own pockets very easily ... So anyone who can pick pocket me without me noticing deserves what they lift
    edited November 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    My jeans are usually too tight for me to fucking get thing outta my own pockets very easily ... So anyone who can pick pocket me without me noticing deserves what they lift

Oh yea, I didnt even mention this part. If someone were to pickpocket me, they earned it. I can't get my own shit out of my pockets sometimes. My phone's case is grippy so it doesnt slide out easily. I could do a handstand and nothing would come out.
  • edited November 2011
    Lets forget about whos going to be successful and why for another thread and get back on topic because it doesnt really matter.

I'll just say for now that someone has something or they dont and you can steal it from them or not.
    And right here is where I stopped taking your post seriously.
    Someone stealing your goods from behind your back; by breaking into your house or bumping into to you to get your wallet are to me the same thing.

Of course you wouldnt be happy that someone jacked your macbook - but think about the argument you were making.

You're saying that by figuring out how to grab something out of someones pocket while they dont notice earns you the right to have that item.

The logical extension of that argument is that someone figuring out how to get into your house (which doesnt sound like simple work) is essentially earning the right to take your goods.

We both know that locks only stop honest folk anyway. You must reasonably conceed if you have the right to keep an iphone because you were skilled enough to 'earn' it from the previous owner then any gentleman who breaks into your house has the right to keep your goods because he 'earnt' them fair and square as well.

Maybe you can try to justify that its alright to steal it from someone who can easily replace it; but then you are giving authority to anyone lower than you in the economic pecking order to do the same thing - and as soon as they have more than you its payback time. And so on and so on ad nausem. But what you seem to be getting at is you are completely fine with someone stealing from you as long as it you consider that it would of been sufficently difficult for them to do so.
    Also, if someone were to try and take something out of my backpack, of course i wouldn't turn around and be polite, i would obviously yell at the person, tell them to GTFO, etc. etc. I do have a knife on me at most times depending on the area I am in so hey, if I feel the need, I'd take it out. Problem Solved.

Think about if they DID manage to get your macbook out because you got hit by a rouge cyclist and someone managed to get it - skillfully. Later you find it in a pawn shop.
    The police are unable to assist you and the store owner cannot find any records of who bought it in. Lets say that its been formatted and you lost any evidence that you previously owned it.

It is correct that you should have to buy it back?

I know thats a prettttty bullshit situation (except for the part about police not being able to help, most stolen things stay stolen) but its just to test the argument you have about who is entitled to what.
    If the original thief is able to get away with all this then he earnt his share. I suppose it is now up to you to either pay the store owner or devise a way to break into his fortress like shop to 'earn' it back?

If you want to troll me or try to aggravate me, I highly suggest you try a little harder, kid.

Not trying to do either. I didnt think I was being rude and im still not trying to be - keeping it all civil and %100 hypothetical. I seriously dont think its the right thing to do and I dont agree with your justifications so im putting together some replies. I didnt think you would get upset about it; you're saying that you arent but I got a warning for it so who knows what to believe.

Its deep subject. You can claim no morals but there is some sort of interesting contradicting code of ethics thing happening there that your starting to illustrate, Im looking forward to hearing more.