I want to do something new and interesting with my life. Any suggestions?

Pile of JewsPile of Jews Regular
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Seems like its been a cycle these past few years. Get fucked up, go to rehab, move back in with my parents, repeat. I'm 18 years old and I haven't graduated from High School, but I want something new and exciting, definitley in another country or state, something like an organization to join or whatever, just something!

I've looked into the Peace Corps but I dont have any prerequisites. An suggestions would br greatly appreciated, if you could please post a link or something so I can look into it.

Thanks &T

Comments

• chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    I'd say the army would straighten you out pretty good. Give you a trade etc.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    Without a high school education why would any organization want you? What could a drop out with a history of drug abuse have to offer any organization? I am not flaming you I am asking you the hard truthful questions you should be asking yourself. Get your GED, enroll in a community college, get at least a 2 year associate degree, or enroll in a technical/vocational program, and then you will have some skills to offer an organization that would be of use to them. No organization needs or wants someone who is looking to join for what they can get from the organization. They want individuals who can offer something which helps them meet their goals. Work on becoming that person at you just might find you don't need to "run off" to escape your problems. After all, no matter how far you run your problems will always be there before you arrive.
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    Americorp is an option, if you are a citizen. You still need a GED for it I think though, and TDR is right, you need to have something to give so people want you around.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Foreign legion, or merchant marines
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited November 2011
    Al-Qaeda ... if you don't wanna go back to school get a trade ... if your only 18 heaps of people will take you ... become a mechanic, carpenter, chef, chippy, sparky none of these require your year 12 .. actually in aus a good percentage of tradies haven't finished high school ... high school or school in general isn't for every one! if you don't like it don't put yourself through 4 to 6 more years of it just so you can say i finished high school, i went to uni, I did the right thing!!! go me! now how the fuck do i get a JOB?!? I will never run out of work because im highly skilled in profession that people will always need ... and i got a head start cause i got left school at 16 and got a job ... or go back to school i dont give a fuck ... just make sure what ever you do you enjoy because chances are you'll be doing it for a long time
    edited November 2011
    ^ That may be the case in your neck of the woods but in he US you will be nothing with that approach.
    edited November 2011
    are you serious? are you trying to tell me you NEED a high school diploma/uni to be successful ... I'm sorry but that BS
    edited November 2011
    It might be BS to you but in the US unless you want to be a broke dick your whole life you had better have at least a high school diploma and some sort of formal trade training and that is no BS.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    Same in the UK in general. No qualifications from school, and if you don't make it on your own being self employed then you can look forward to a life on welfare or sweeping floors.
    edited November 2011
    O the land of opportunity
    edited November 2011
    When you grow up we will continue this conversation.
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited November 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    I'd say the army would straighten you out pretty good. Give you a trade etc.

Army won't take him if he didn't finish High School.

I'd say get your GED and then go to a technical school and learn welding or something like that. I heard welders get paid good and they get a lot of chances to travel.
    edited November 2011
    When you grow up we will continue this conversation.

i wipe my own arse?
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    Is it true that you have to give up your citizenship to join the French Foreign Legion?
    edited November 2011
    Osiris wrote: »
    Is it true that you have to give up your citizenship to join the French Foreign Legion?

No. http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/faq.php
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Whatever you do, finish high school otherwise your choices are restricted to just about everything. Aye, go to the one of the forces and they'll sort you out. Giving young men a sense of direction, that is what they are good at no? You'll probably find yourself happier and more likely than not you'll get rid of the need to go to rehab.

You could join the French Foreign Legion, although your service length is longer than most other forces and its a bit tougher to get in (so I've heard). Still Pretty cool though :)

You could also join the navy, where they would train you up to do a particular task and you have the opportunity to travel all over the world. So not only do you get to go around the world, but at the end of it you are skilled at your trade so you have a very creditable future if you decide to leave later on.
  • edited November 2011
    Or you can go alternative entry straight into university.

The deans have a huge amount of discresion regarding enrollments. hell, theres probably even some program to help you out.

But then again; university is not a key to success.

I got to my position through my own hard work, learning on the job and making things happen for myself. I have my degree; but I was already in leadership roles earning above graduate salary before i graduated (I did it externally/distance) and the degree is only useful now as a checklist item.
    People saying you need a high school anything are full of shit - but you do need to be smart.

There are many many paths to success but the best way seems to be choosing a path that you want to go down so you're actually motivated, excited and active about doing it.

Dont join the peace corps because you're just going to get brainwashed by their left wing hippy shit; if anything go to india and get a job teaching english on the side.