Night Ops... XI? XII? Fuck knows. But it continues here.

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Meloncholy wrote: »
    Nice pics. How did the red LED torch go? Was it bright enough to be useful?

Yeah it worked well. It only has 5 working LEDs at the moment as I accidentally fried one when testing it after the mod, but it still puts out enough light to be of use. I had to mod the battery pack to put out 3 volts rather than the 4.5 volts needed by the white leds originally in it as the red ones begin to overheat.
  • edited November 2011
    Awsome op. The picture with the cows with all the eyes glowing in the background is one of the coolest NO photos I've seen :thumbsup:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Awesome OP. Real good read and the pictures just topped it off :D:thumbsup: makes me nostalgic.
  • LexDevilLexDevil Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2011
    Nice ops Daktologist. I was just curious if you have any experience with lock picking, as I noticed you do not list picks in your equipment? A surprising number of locks can be opened with very basic tools and minimal training, it may be something to consider.
    edited November 2011
    LexDevil wrote: »
    Nice ops Daktologist. I was just curious if you have any experience with lock picking, as I noticed you do not list picks in your equipment? A surprising number of locks can be opened with very basic tools and minimal training, it may be something to consider.

I have no experience at present but I would like to get some picks and start learning. So far I have been cutting padlocks off with a hacksaw or kicking doors in. that or avoiding B&E entirely during an op as I have no inconspicuous way of gaining entry.
    edited November 2011
    Lockpicking is an extremely useful skill to have. Even if you're locked out of a filing cabinet or your shed. It's saved me. Could write a guide? But then again the web is full of tutorials. I'd reccommend you get a basic 7 piece set and buy a few padlocks to learn. Best way to practice for a target is to see what padlocks they have (ABUS, Yale, Tri-Circle etc) and buy one to give it a go as long as it's reasonably priced. I used to be able to pick a high security Microsoft Lock in less than 3 seconds that was on my shed, so I told my Parents to change it.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited November 2011
    Padlock shims may be another item to look into since you run into so many padlocks. They work magic on a lot of lower end ones that most people seem content to use. You'll thank yourself for finally taking the plunge and learning to pick. I think a lot of people are intimidated by all the myth and uncertainty surrounding it, but it's actually quite simple to understand and get proficient at.

For what it's worth, it's been my experience that regular picks and wrenches are better than most gimmick devices intended to make opening the lock faster, such as pick guns, vibrating picks, bump keys, etc.
    edited November 2011
    Psychlonic wrote: »
    For what it's worth, it's been my experience that regular picks and wrenches are better than most gimmick devices intended to make opening the lock faster, such as pick guns, vibrating picks, bump keys, etc.

I totally agree. I have tried padlock shims and padlock combs with little success, I regret buying both. I think when you start out in lock picking there is often a tendency to buy a lot more picks/tools than you actually need and as you become better you find yourself using less and less of them until you get to the stage of being heavily reliant on just a few, not even touching the vast majority.

I bought a 39 piece pin tumbler pick set when I started out, now I only regularly use 3 picks, a half diamond, a medium hook and a 'bogota' style rake.

My advice to a beginner would be avoid spending lots of money on a big fancy set and buy 2 or 3 individual picks and wrenches instead.

EDIT: Also while on the subject of padlocks, some industrial grade locks can be worth a fair bit of money even without keys. (They can be decoded and have a key reproduced for them, or someone interested in lock picking may buy them to practice on).

Over here in the UK they use big, 6 pin Yale padlocks on the electric board and on the railways, each padlock is worth about £20 and they are not the hardest things in the world to pick, often they only contain 1 or 2 security pins, if any at all.

Another thing to do with padlocks is use a mini-mill (or possibly a hacksaw/dremel) to 'cut-away' a small section of the outer lock, exposing the workings just enough so that they still operate as intended while at the same time alowing you to see how they work. Plenty of guides online for doing this. These cut away locks sell for a LOT of money on e-bay, as many beginners buy them as a training aide.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    I heard form a very credible source that you can open a pad lock with a metal soda can. I cant remember how its done but I still have contact with the person who told me. If I can get him to write the method down for me I will post it here. When he explained it to me it seemed like it would work. In the mean time if you don't have this pdf it may prove useful. I don't know how legit it is but it seems OK to me.

C.I.A lock picking field training manual.

I
    found a video on youtube, and this kinda of sounds like what I was told.
    edited November 2011
    I bought a 39 piece pin tumbler pick set when I started out, now I only regularly use 3 picks, a half diamond, a medium hook and a 'bogota' style rake.

Safe to say it almost always boils down to this. 95% of the time I use my rake, sometimes busting out the diamond to set the last pin if it's being stubborn. Seems a lot of people do the exact same thing. Most of the other designs are pretty redundant and I think there's some gimmicks involved in a few of them as well in an attempt to sell those massive kits to newcomers.
    jugg wrote: »
    I heard form a very credible source that you can open a pad lock with a metal soda can.

It's possible but much harder than using stiffer shims. Shims in general are niche and work on padlocks that have a lot of slack in their shackles - Masterlocks are a big offender - but even then they can require some force to jam down in there to release the lock. Aluminum cans are buttery soft and really easy to bend to shit or even tear off trying to wedge them in. I've opened a yale lock in the woods once using one out of necessity and I did not fucking like it.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    From what I was told if you practice it enough its very easy. If I remember right he said the reason why he used metal cans is because they were soft. I'm no master in lock picking, but I trust the source.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    I remember we had a kid from &T die on a night op. I think it was Bazooka Medic. He gained access to a building, was fucking around up in the rafters doing some Tom Fischer shit, and fell to his death.
    edited November 2011
    fag wrote: »
    I remember we had a kid from &T die on a night op. I think it was Bazooka Medic. He gained access to a building, was fucking around up in the rafters doing some Tom Fischer shit, and fell to his death.

I had heard of that. I wasn't sure of who it was though.
    edited November 2011
    jugg wrote: »
    If I remember right he said the reason why he used metal cans is because they were soft..

They need to be soft enough to bend into shape and thin enough to slide between the body and the shackle, but this often means that they are not strong enough to seperate the locking bar from the shackle without breaking.

It depends entirely on the padlock in question, most will not have enough of a gap for shims to be used.

Picking the lock will be sucsessful a lot more often than shims, be they professionaly made or coke can.
    edited November 2011
    They need to be soft enough to bend into shape and thin enough to slide between the body and the shackle, but this often means that they are not strong enough to seperate the locking bar from the shackle without breaking.

It depends entirely on the padlock in question, most will not have enough of a gap for shims to be used.

Picking the lock will be sucsessful a lot more often than shims, be they professionaly made or coke can.

On one op I tried shimming a padlock with a coke can shim but I found it either wouldn't fit or bent too easily. I gave up and used a hacksaw to bypass it in the end.
    edited November 2011
    I 'acquired' a new padlock last night, an Abus No. 65/60, I wonder if anyone misses it :P
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    Ask your big brother maybe?
    edited November 2011
    Ask your big brother maybe?

That one has gone right over my head. What do you mean?
    edited November 2011
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited November 2011
    That one has gone right over my head. What do you mean?

Implying you stole it from your brother.
    edited November 2011
    Honestly, get a lockpick set. Saved my arse (literally) a few times. Bloody cheapskate Students ;)
    bog1.jpg

bog2r.jpg
  • MEATMEAT Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    FUCK YEAH! I'm so stoked right now!

I was able to card the lock and get on top of the roof of the condo I'm staying in! I took pics too, but I can't download the pics from my camera til I get back home from vacation.
    edited November 2011
    MEAT wrote: »

I was able to card the lock and get on top of the roof of the condo I'm staying in! I took pics too, but I can't download the pics from my camera til I get back home from vacation.

Good shit bro :D.
    edited November 2011
    MEAT wrote: »

PICS or GTFO
  • MEATMEAT Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    PICS or GTFO

I swear to god. By Sunday night.
  • edited November 2011
    I'll hold you to it - looking forward to seeing the pictures bro. How difficult is it to card a door anyway?
    edited November 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I'll hold you to it - looking forward to seeing the pictures bro. How difficult is it to card a door anyway?

I've always seen it in Movies/TV shows but never seen it successful in real life. I think it works if you cut a third of the card out to "hook" round the part of the door that goes into the wall (the technical term escapes me now).
    edited November 2011
    It all depends on the tolerances of the door, door type, and what direction it swings. If the door swings into the building (away from you) it's often as simple as just jamming the card into the jamb where the bar slots into place and forcing it forward. I've seen it done with a Swiss Army Knife in high school by a kid who didn't want to wait for a teacher to unlock the door.

If it swings outward, it's a different game. You have to hook the bar from the back and pull it towards you while pulling on the knob/handle. Often it's easier to just bend a wire into a 1/2 or 3/4 loop and feed it around then use that.

Sometimes the frame is designed in such a way or there's a plate blocking the jamb that the technique is impossible to use. If there's any other locking mechanism being used along with the spring-loaded bar, commonly a deadbolt, it's not going to work then either. It does work, but only when the conditions are right.
  • MEATMEAT Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    Yo guys I think I misplaced my card reader but if I don't find it by tomorrow night I'll just buy a new one to upload all the pics with.
  • MEATMEAT Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    trx100 wrote: »

It really wasn't hard at all, I just stood outside my room and practiced it. However, All the locks in the hotel were pretty much exactly the same except for the roof access ones, so I've really only applied this technique to two doors if that makes sense.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited November 2011
    its a still dark night, I wonder what Dak is upto?:cool:
  • MEATMEAT Acolyte
    edited December 2011
    Here are the pics, just a little late.

DSC02365.jpg
    View

DSC02348.jpg
    Door getting carded

DSC02363.jpg
    I held the door open with some paper

DSC02362.jpg
    Some bullshit.

DSC02361.jpg
    Looking down

DSC02359.jpg
    AC Units

DSC02351.jpg
    Doors

DSC02357.jpg
    Me atop highest point on the building
    edited December 2011
    Work has started on a new guide, but progress will be somewhat slow. 2012 release planned. There's probably going to be some rehash because I'm not even going to look at WotS, it's outdated as fuck and I've learned a lot in the nearly 7 years that have since passed. But the new content will be easier to absorb, more efficient, and cover a variety of ranges from the newcomer to the jaded veteran. It will be in PDF format with images and it's going to cover a pretty massive range of content. The theme is to enable you, the reader, to really feel free in the night through not just the ability to remain undetected, but hopefully enough knowledge that more opportunities make themselves known to you. Knowledge to help you enjoy yourself and feel confident in a multitude of environments. I feel that WotS really catered to the rural and suburban operative while neglecting the urban guy surrounded by a mess of lighting and traffic. No more. Where possible, I'm also detailing DIY information to make specialized equipment because since writing WotS I've spoken with dozens of operatives through messenger and many don't have the means to get certain equipment for one reason or another. There have also been other concerns brought to my attention and I really want to help with some of those as well. Finally, everything is going "back to finesse", WotS had too much of a simplistic brute force feel to it and I want this to scream to the reader that anyone can learn to pick locks and anyone can make their own quality equipment to practice with. I want the reader to understand how alarms work even if they don't want to attempt to get around them and explain targets in a "percentage" manner that explains what they can typically expect security levels to be for various targets.

In the end, if it's not fun or for some profitable, then it's not worth it. I want it to be extra informative but not a scare-tactics style read. If it makes the reader anxious to get outside that night and try something new and then they do so and come back safely with good memories and a fun story, I'll consider it a success.
    edited December 2011
    ^Looking forward to reading it.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited December 2011
    ^That's the best news I've had since I threw up my breakfast!
  • MEATMEAT Acolyte
    edited December 2011
    Psychlonic wrote: »
    In the end, if it's not fun or for some profitable, then it's not worth it. I want it to be extra informative but not a scare-tactics style read. If it makes the reader anxious to get outside that night and try something new and then they do so and come back safely with good memories and a fun story, I'll consider it a success.

Agreed, Can't wait for this!!! :D
    edited July 2012
    edited July 2012
    Awesome stuff as always, Dak! :D great to see that Night Opping is alive and well, even if it is a look around or the like. Now I'm back home I should go looking around. We have a small cell tower nearby so will go and check it out, but it's right next to a railway track so that is a potential no-no. If it shakes and I fall off, well. You get the idea.

Also testing out new gear is fun. I wish the cops and other services round here used interceptable radios. Instead it's all trunked.
    edited July 2012
    Well last night I went and had a look at what I thought was an operational microwave telephone linking station but turned out to be abandoned. It was still an interesting place none the less. I also lost my red LED lamp plus the rechargeable batteries somewhere within 20 – 50 meters of where I parked. After an hour of searching I gave up and left. I was pissed :mad: , $39 worth of red LEDs gone plus at least $10 worth of batteries gone. I ordered a 9 piece lock pick set today so that should arrive sometime in the next week. Then to learn how to use it :D

The microwave station was built during the 1950s to link the cities of Hamilton and [FONT=&amp]Palmerston North[/FONT] together. From there a coaxial cable ran to Wellington from [FONT=&amp]Palmerston North and another coaxial cable linked Hamilton to Auckland. It operated on a frequency of 4 GHz with a vacuum tube based system and on 6 GHz when it was converted to solid state in the late 1970s. There are 4 of these stations in total and they are all of the same design. Some time in recent history (unsure when), the stations were made redundant by fibre optic cabling laid by the railway companies that were sold to a local telco company (unsure which one) and the stations were stripped of their equipment and closed. The tower at the station I visited had been demolished sometime from last October and now according to the images on Google earth. The building has a generator room at one end and the transmitters and receivers plus other gear were housed at the other end with staff facilities in the centre between the two bays at either end. There are bunk beds, a kitchen and bathroom there for staff to use if repairs or maintenance take a few days to complete.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]According to the stories I have heard, a Russian “fishing boat” would sit 12 miles out in the beam path of the microwave spur feeding New Plymouth. This was back in the cold war days and was never seen fishing. A spy boat in disguise perhaps? who would know.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Loadout
    [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Black Gloves[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Olive green Shemagh[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Flecktarn camo gear[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Boots[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]White LED lamp[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Red LED lamp[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Screwdrivers[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Hacksaw[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Hammer[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Multitool[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]First aid kit[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Canteen[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Energy bars[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Compass[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Binoculars[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Radio scanner[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Notepad and pen[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Knee and elbow pads[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Pack[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Camera[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]IPhone[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&amp]Car [/FONT]

Infiltrated at 0100
    Exfiltrated at 0500

I parked behind a pile of railway ballast beside the railway line 2 Km from the station and made my way to the site. After I thought I could cross the small creek nearby via the railway bridge going over it and getting about 1 Km along the tracks before realizing that I couldn’t get past the blackberry growing along the track side and the other creek below that, I had to turn around and haul arse before the next train came through and cross the bridge again and find another route wasting 10 minutes in the process :mad:. I eventually found another crossing and made my way up the hill to the station. On the way up the path there was a sign warning of the steep slope ahead. “Fuck it can’t be that bad” I thought until I got about ¼ the way up and realized just how fucking steep that path was. After battling my way up the mother of all slopes I arrived at the station expecting a tower and operational microwave relay station. “Huh, there is no sign of the tower beside the building and its way to quiet for a transmission site” I thought as I approached the station building. How right I was when I found the tower base and after looking through an air vent the building was completely empty. I found the door and it had been nailed shut. Fortunately I had my claw hammer on me and removed the nails then opened the door to find it fell off its hinges when I opened it (that or there weren’t any to start with). In the end I pushed the door to the ground and entered, the door fell with a loud bang as it hit the concrete. I went in and began exploring the place. There were diagrams and site plans all over the floor along with a fuck load of grass and pidgin shit. I found a phone book from 1990 and an old first aid kit that was still stocked. A bunk bed was in a side room minus its mattresses and a toilet minus its pipe work and a half rat eaten roll of bog paper on the roll holder. In the foyer near the front door was a phone and instructions on how to call the other stations and Hamilton control as well as a rat eaten log book dating back to the 1980s.

After having a snack and a drink I finished taking photos and went to explore the other radio mast nearby. It happened to contain a repeater for the local nigger radio station. After a look and other things ;) I left and headed back to my car. On the way I had to try and avoid the farmer walking along the path. I happened to hear him whistling and he was walking otherwise I would most likely have been detected. After avoiding him I took a quick rest about 100 meters from my car as I was tired and after about 5 minutes made my way over to where I had parked my car. After putting my gear in my vehicle I noticed the red LED lamp I had 5 minutes earlier was missing. It wasn’t on me or in the car. I searched where I had walked and where I stopped earlier and there was no sign of it. After an hour of searching I gave up and went back to scrape the ice off of my windscreen then drove home around 0500.

Lessons learned

• Find a way to attach my flash lights to my person so i cant accidently drop them while I am doing something
    • I definitely need to get those new boots. Blisters suck arse
    • Some kind of scraping tool would be useful to get the thick ice off my windscreen after an op. Fucking winter.

Pics

This sign doesn't lie. Its one steep slope

SAM_2290.JPG

Diagrams littered the floor
    SAM_2227.JPG
    SAM_2229.JPG

Phone book
    SAM_2231.JPG
    SAM_2236.JPG
    SAM_2238.JPG
    SAM_2239.JPG
    SAM_2246.JPG
    SAM_2250.JPG
    SAM_2258.JPG

One diesel generator and a large flywheel attached to an electric motor acted as a UPS for the place when it was tube based. They were housed in this room until batteries replaced the flywheel based system when it went solid state (transistors)
    SAM_2259.JPG

The valve based (later transistorized) transmitters and receiving gear would have occupied this room.
    SAM_2255.JPG

The legs of the tower would have been anchored to these points.
    SAM_2268.JPG
    SAM_2272.JPG
    edited July 2012
    Wow! Even better. That is a cracking find, and the sign did make me sing the chorus from Electric Six "Danger high voltage". However they are the sort of places I'd go for an Urbex as opposed to Night Ops as I'd constantly have a tingly adrenaline rush.
    A long op as well, by the looks of your times and photos but one worth doing. I did picture you falling on your arse down a slope and having your torch fall down as well while you shouted "Ahh naw, you CUNT" (typical Aussie/NZ thought for me)

Definitely something for the records, and makes me wish I lived/had access to places further afield.
    edited July 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Wow! Even better. That is a cracking find, and the sign did make me sing the chorus from Electric Six "Danger high voltage". However they are the sort of places I'd go for an Urbex as opposed to Night Ops as I'd constantly have a tingly adrenaline rush.
    A long op as well, by the looks of your times and photos but one worth doing. I did picture you falling on your arse down a slope and having your torch fall down as well while you shouted "Ahh naw, you CUNT" (typical Aussie/NZ thought for me)

Definitely something for the records, and makes me wish I lived/had access to places further afield.

Thats legit.
    edited July 2012
    You may want to alter some of those photos that contain geographical information.
    edited July 2012
    You may want to alter some of those photos that contain geographical information.

This.
    edited July 2012

Hmm you are right. I removed any evidence of my visit to that particular station. Fortunately there are seven identical stations just like it dotted along the length of the country. If you see anything incriminating i may have over looked, let me know :)
    Spinster wrote: »
    Thats legit.

Agreed.
    edited July 2012
    Well I went for a look around that mental asylum in my area. That place is seriously creepy especially when you are alone on a moonless night and can feel the presence of those that have passed away in the place. I was bricking it the whole time. Considering my foot got kicked by something last time i was in the bushes alone out there, I always get the feeling that there is something there when i am exploring the place and other urbex'ers that have been that i have spoken to have all said the same thing.

Load out:

• Black Gloves
    • Olive green Shemagh
    • Flecktarn camo gear
    • Boots
    • White LED lamp
    • Multitool
    • First aid kit
    • Canteen
    • Compass
    • Binoculars
    • Radio scanner
    • Notepad and pen
    • Knee pads
    • Pack
    • Camera
    • IPhone
    • Car

Infiltrated at 0030
    Exfiltrated at 0245

I decided to take a quick look at a building that I thought was the isolation ward but turned out to be something else. I have no idea what it was used for and as it was locked, couldn't get inside without leaving evidence so i moved on. Further up the roadway was the wards that housed the intellectually handicapped people and behind that was what i discovered only once i got home to be the mortuary. From what a local urbex'er i am in contact told me, is that it still has everything in it from the fridges to the theatre light and autopsy table. Probably the reason it was so creepy in that part of the grounds. After a quick look at the boiler room and finding that the place is a maize of locked doors and enclosed courtyards, i exfiltrated at 0245 hrs.

They wern't kidding when they say how big it is. A few local explorers have been keen to take me on a proper tour of the place as they know it well. Just need my lock picks now and ill be set. Only problem is, is that there are too many places to be cornered in. Just need to keep a look out for security as well as other individuals that may be present out there. It goes without saying really.

Pics:

SAM_2314.JPG
    SAM_2315.JPG
    edited July 2012
    Orbs everywhere AAAAaaaahh!
  • edited July 2012
    Is that frost on the ground?

Please tell me you're going back there when you've got the hang of using your lockpicks. That would be one sweet exploration :D
    edited July 2012
    Yeah that is frost you can see. I am going to head back out later this year once I get a decent camera.
    edited July 2012
    Well I decided to post my collection of gear I have so far.

IMG_0391.JPG

1. Knee pads
    2. Elbow pads
    3. Bag
    4. Combat boots
    5. Canteen
    6. Compass and notepad
    7. Shitty Samsung camera
    8. Throat mic + headset
    9. 477 MHz CB
    10. Police scanner
    11. Kevlar gloves
    12. Electrical tape
    13. White LED lamp
    14. Red LED lamp
    15. GPS
    16. FLECKTARN jacket and trousers
    17. Claw hammer
    18. Watch
    19. Multitool
    20. Lock picks
    21. 1 meter of cord
    22. Binoculars
    23. First aid kit
    24. Hacksaw
    25. Spare batteries
    26. Balaclava
    27. O/D shemagh
  • edited July 2012
    That's awesome. Whenever I went out, I'd take the very bare minimum. That being a dark navy-blue top, tight fitting dark jeans (jeans are normally shit, but mine were surprisingly easy to move around in. They also kept me warm on those cold nights.) and some soft shoes with no tread on the bottom. If I ever needed a bag, I'd stash it somewhere nearby before heading out on the op and pick it up on the way back home. I never really liked equipment getting in my way, although I occasionally took walkie talkies if I was with a friend.