Pellet Guns

KingKozmikKingKozmik New Arrival
edited December 2011 in Man Cave
would a pellet gun like say, this one: http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Outdoor-Products-Rifle-Scope/dp/B001BS3YQM be powerful enough to take out a street lights, security cameras, tail lights, car windows/other types?

Comments

• SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited December 2011
    I would say so, but itsa pump up pellet gun I would opt for a break open pellet gun. bullet will travel faster and it would work out just as fast to reload. Besides if you used BB's it would be very inaccurate, BB's curve in all kinds of directions when fired.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2011
    Spinster wrote: »
    I would say so, but itsa pump up pellet gun I would opt for a break open pellet gun. bullet will travel faster and it would work out just as fast to reload. Besides if you used BB's it would be very inaccurate, BB's curve in all kinds of directions when fired.

You been on the jenkum marra? A break barrel will not mean the pellet travels faster, far from it. Its the power of the spring in the break barrel that will determine the speed of the pellet. With the Daisy above, you are going to be getting 750 feet per second, with a 9 grain pellet that works out at 11.24 ft/lb of power. I have had low end break barrels only delivering 7ft/lb. On top of that, a break barrel needs to be very well engineered for a barrel to breech seal to be good, a $40 break barrel will be pants. While it would be quicker to reload, it would be heavier probably not as well put together. With the daisy, you can use BB's in it of you want, but I would stick with pellets.

The daisy would respond better to sound moderation than a break barrel, if he chose to go down that route; as it does not have parts with significant mass that need to move when the trigger is pulled.

W/R to will it do this or that, it will have the physical power to do it, but with such a cheap gun, I doubt it would have the accuracy. Take out a tail light on a car? Not happening unless you have a US$1000 air rifle - tail lights have 3-5 light bulbs in them and you would need a gun that would destroy the light housing to the point all of the bulbs were damaged. Same with a camera, you would have to shoot through the lense to be sure it was destroyed - to shoot through the lense you would have to stand in front of it, in which case you would have been caught on camera.

If I was looking to smash stuff like that, I would use a slingshot.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    dr rocker knows a fuckton about UK weapons laws so I'd trust what he has to say.
    Just my input - I've never had a successful crack of a streetlamp with a 6/7ft lb air rifle. If anything, I'd go for a bit more powerful. However you do realise that shooting within 50ft of a road/footpath is illegal in the UK (not sure about the USA) and can get you raped by the armed response team. Seen it happen to some jebend who shot me in the ankle from their bedroom window.
    Pump up rifles tend to be a bit sub-par when it comes to longevity. Weirauch is a very good brand. Had mine for 10 years and still going strong. Cost me £75 for a 7ft/lb one. Got it when I was 11.
    However, dr rocker has some damn valid points.
    edited December 2011
    Okay, do this then. buy a fairly powerful breakopen air rifle, spray CRC or WD-40 in side the chamber. and fire it. then reload and fire it again, the second time the rifle will make a very loud bang like .22 I once shot a hole though a small tree with this trick. basically the CRC burns like Diesel and makes the gun go way harder.

get one with a tank the needs to be filled with a dive bottle. from what I hear they are pretty good.

or this 50cal air rifle, if you fancy some big game hunting too.
    Sam-Yang-Dragonclaw-50cal-12-7mm_SY12-7DragonCL_PPDzm.jpg
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    While the .50 cal air rifles only deliver about 570 fps they do offer Over 192 ft-lbs of force due to the large amount of mass in the round.
    edited December 2011
    I would say they have pretty poor range then.

you know a compund bow would do everything you want and more. ammo is expensive though
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    I would say they have pretty poor range then.

you know a compund bow would do everything you want and more. ammo is expensive though

I would also expect the accuracy would not be that great unless it is rifled.
    edited December 2011
    Okay, do this then. buy a fairly powerful breakopen air rifle, spray CRC or WD-40 in side the chamber. and fire it. then reload and fire it again, the second time the rifle will make a very loud bang like .22 I once shot a hole though a small tree with this trick. basically the CRC burns like Diesel and makes the gun go way harder.

Dieseling can add power but you will lose accuarcy as the piston, spring and rifling are designed to handle XYZ force - when you go up or down un power but with the same internals, accuaracy is effected and in the long term, damage to the piston and psring guide. You can get away with a little bit of it of it tho, however, I would hazerd a guess you are only going to see a 10% increase in FPS and you could never measure the input of a light oil into the rifle to be consistant about the power that would be put out and hence the accuarcy.
    edited December 2011
    You know what? buy a bag of marbles and a fricken sling shot :D

Oh and Dj, thanks for critiquing all of my posts
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited December 2011
    Would a slingshot loaded with marbles really be powerful enough to take out street lights?
  • fagfag Regular
    edited December 2011
    Paco wrote: »
    Would a slingshot loaded with marbles really be powerful enough to take out street lights?

Not very well. Tried it. :p

It takes a lot of accuracy, and every missed shot is going to fly off and make a bunch of noise. Plus you're going to be standing directly under a fucking street light for however long with a slingshot, looking like a fucktard.

If you want to take out a street light, you can use a bright laser pointer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUNeNFz3A-M
    edited December 2011
    Well it ticks all the other boxes, although tail lights would be hard except I think when Kingkosmik was writing the OP he just mean smash them to make someone have a bad day. I dont think it was about removing the light source. 10mm nuts might work better for street lights because they would be heavier large ball bearings would be preferred, but hard to aquire for the average Joe. porcelain is light but very hard, good at smashing glass. just break a toilet or a spark plug and your all set!

as far as accuracy goes, practise is the only fix.
    edited December 2011
    r large ball bearings would be preferred, but hard to aquire for the average Joe.

Not really.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=23

You will have a similar BB supplier in NZ. I used to buy the ammo for my catapult at shops that sold it branded as such. Then I found out it was much cheaper to buy similar weight ball bearings.

Edit: I use from 3 grammes to 14 grammes.
    edited December 2011
    okay, my dad was an engineer and I could get a hold of ones the size of a large marble so I figured they were hard to come by.

those 14mm ones would do some serious damage!!