Really not in the xmas spirit. How about you lot?

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited December 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I was going to put this in B&M but figured this could be a more constructive thread.
What are you guys doing for xmas? Going anywhere? Or staying in like me?
I am going to my Nan's, not breaking tradition for 21 years now. Mood is on a downward spiral as I hate the forced happiness which resembles a Disney character on some sort of drug. Quite odd being home knowing my Dissertation is due in within 2 and a half months, as well as not eating an xmas Dinner since the age of 16 because of my Crohn's flaring up due to the stress at this time :angry:

So what do you lot do for xmas? Last minute shoppers? Sorry to be a huge downer - I just can't stand this time of year. Maybe it's a bit like Dfg at Ramadan...except this is only a day and you are supposed to eat as much as possible.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    I told my ex for years that I was not going to be celebrating Xmas in 2011. When asked why I told her that would be the 1st xmas that the kids were all over 18, I am pagan/heathen/NOT CHRISTIAN, she was Jewish, that the holiday was stolen by the Roman Catholic church to supplant the pagan holiday of yule to control the "heathens" of western and northern Europe, that this is the time of year when we are supposed to relax and enjoy the fruits of our years labor, and that does not mean running around like a lemming in a shooping mall to spend that years labor at the behest of the retail beast.

I have no tree, I have not bought one present, I will not accept any gifts (other than cash which is always accepted in my universe), I am not going to anyone's home who is celebrating Xmas. My sole "celebration" will consist of me going to the Moose Lodge, getting drunk, feasting on the free to members buffet, and burning a yule log in my yard to mark the rebirth of the sun.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    As Im part of a choir, we've dont quite a few concerts over the last couple of days. Two of them have been our Christmas concert (songs from Disney), and two other ones have been singing Christmas carols in one place or another. Before I broke up I played Christmas carols for college, and also for my sisters business meeting so as you can imagine Im all caroled out! Next week should be awesome, as I should be seeing friends virtually everyday of the week and some of them I havent seen in ages :) Christmas is not as hectic for me as most years, as I buy bits and bobs over the Internet for most of the people that I buy Christmas presents for. Also, the Christmas break is a nice way to end the year of college as I was very busy before I broke up :)
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2011
    I have no tree, I have not bought one present, I will not accept any gifts (other than cash which is always accepted in my universe), I am not going to anyone's home who is celebrating Xmas.

Fucking that. I normally do have a tree, but as much for the fact that I like having a tree for its comfort and smell - I would not be against having one on any day of the year. This year I have just been too busy and the living room is full of baby stuff, so I did not bother. Dinner times are a nightmare as no matter when you plan them for, I can garantee the baby will wake up and want to feed for 6 hours.

I did buy a nice joint of beef that I was going to cook and graze at aloing with a ham - makes life easy when you have alot of cooked meat in, however, I went to the supermarket today to get some nappies and they had a £70 goose for £20. The beef can go in the freezer, I fucking love goose.

My Wife and I have not bought presents for anyone, each other and the baby included. I did get myself some M6 threaded rod for a machine I am making however, will have to wait into the new year probably for the bearings I have ordered to be delivered. Might fix a fence panel that has blown down tomorrow.

I have also forgone invites to the bar tonight as the forced happiness of Chrismas brings out a feeling in me of wanting to beat some one and I do not want to be arrested.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2011
    My grandmother died and was buried this week. So the immediate family will likley be spending the day at my grandfathers place eating chicken and reconciling the women. I may even have to drive a few of them to her tombstone.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited December 2011
    I can't say I'm in the Christmas spirit I used to be in when I was a kid. I used to get so excited, but now I'm just more shocked that it's Christmas already. I suppose I'm just getting old.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited December 2011
    All I look forward on Christmas is the Christmas dinner.

I don't mind the family traditions. Though I'm not the type who likes getting presents. I'm down for some festive chocolates though.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Fucking that. I normally do have a tree, but as much for the fact that I like having a tree for its comfort and smell - I would not be against having one on any day of the year. This year I have just been too busy and the living room is full of baby stuff, so I did not bother. Dinner times are a nightmare as no matter when you plan them for, I can garantee the baby will wake up and want to feed for 6 hours.

I did buy a nice joint of beef that I was going to cook and graze at aloing with a ham - makes life easy when you have alot of cooked meat in, however, I went to the supermarket today to get some nappies and they had a £70 goose for £20. The beef can go in the freezer, I fucking love goose.

My Wife and I have not bought presents for anyone, each other and the baby included. I did get myself some M6 threaded rod for a machine I am making however, will have to wait into the new year probably for the bearings I have ordered to be delivered. Might fix a fence panel that has blown down tomorrow.

I have also forgone invites to the bar tonight as the forced happiness of Chrismas brings out a feeling in me of wanting to beat some one and I do not want to be arrested.

I have not had goose in almost 20 years, mmmmm

And double down on the second bold part. I barely got out of the bars and home without smacking some drunken lout wishing me a merry fucking xmas. I don't know you, you wouldn;t lift a real finger if i needed it, so piss off with your once per year fake assed wishes.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited December 2011
    If you're alone on Christmas, you've failed at being human. You're just an animal. A lonely, dirty fucking animal. Will probably get shitfaced and blow my load in a stocking. Fuck you all. :(
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited December 2011
    I went up to my hometown and visited friends last night and today, which will likely end up being the highlight of my holiday season. Capitalismas Day itself stopped being interesting around 3 years ago.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited December 2011
    The only reason I "celebrated" christmas this year was because my parents were home for the holidays instead of pissing off to PA, leaving me alone in the house.
    My "celebration" started by trying to figure out why my room reeked of whiskey vomit and why my pants/boxers were not on my person.
    The rest of my day was spent curing my hangover and cleaning up vomit.
    On that note, I ruined my custom amp cab.
    I never sealed the wood, and the vomit that was all over it had a good chunk of time to really soak in.
    Speakers look fine, though.
    My gifts consisted of a new circular saw (which I have no use for) and an emergency roadside kit for my car (which, admittedly, could be handy).
    I will say it was nice that my folks actually got me something seemingly useful as opposed to thoughtlessly handing me cash like the past few years.
    Since my sister is back in town, my family is back to their "i don't want to be around any of you" pissy selves, so dinner was a quick ordeal and everyone went to their separate corners of the house.
    Holiday cheer flowed like frozen shit.

To sum it up, Fuck Christmas.
    I've spent it alone in the past, and it was a much better experience that way.
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited December 2011
    I got arrested on the 23rd. Spent the night in jail, got out, got drunk, I did see some family on the 25th though and it was nice. This thread made me laugh quite a bit, especially the parts about blowing a load in a stocking and holiday cheer flowing like frozen shit. MAAARRYYY fucking christmas.