Get The Job

homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
edited January 2012 in Spurious Generalities
First is first.. Put in your application and/or resume to the specified job you want. Before doing this make sure your an applicable candidate.

If you don't know how to make a resume go to google and search "Resume maker" or "how do I make a resume"

Assuming you did the above and one day the phone rings!! It's the company you applied for and they want to schedule an interview!! Uhhh?? So Now what?!?

The Interview
Ahhh yes the interview, The most important part of getting the job unless you know somebody.

I once got into a great company, I had to interview in front of 5 executives. They were only hiring 1 person and they interviewed 28 people for the position. I had no experience in the line of work I was applying for nor did I know anyone that worked there. People used to ask me all the time.. So which one of these guys is your uncle that got you in.. Or how the hell did you get hired? Once I got in i realized that everyone who worked there either knew someone or they had lots of experience.. How did I do it?
  • STUDY STUDY STUDY the company and whatever they do so when you have the interview you seem educated about their services.
  • Bring in a notebook and a pen and take notes on what they are talking about.
  • Show up 15 minutes early.
  • Dress nice!! A suit is always the best choice (depending on the job) I wouldn't wear a suit if I was interviewing at McDonalds
  • Be very courteous and ask questions
  • Google "interview questions" prepare answers for them and make sure you remember what your going to say
  • Show interest!
  • Have a nice fancy resume
  • Print your resume out on nice paper
  • Bring at least 10 copies of your resume
  • Get a good night of sleep before and have a big breakfast
  • Blow the manager (I never had to do this but If you want the job that badly I'm sure it will get you in)
  • A firm handshake will give them a positive feel about you
  • Study body language so you can give off a positive vibe
  • Just prepare! Like your interviewing for a position that will determine life or death
  • Did I mention STUDYING the company's services? Google that shit.. You should be able to walk into that interview and know more about that company then the person interviewing you does
  • Make sure before you leave they have your phone number and email address
  • Call back in a week or two to check up on the Job if you haven't heard anything yet

Positive Body Language Vibes
  • Keep your head up and towards the interviewer, Don't look at the ceiling, out the window or down at the table etc. for extended periods of time
  • Keep your hands still or nicely folded
  • Remain seated! Don't fidget around
  • Good eye contact but remember its not a staring contest
  • Nod to show your paying attention but don't nod at every little thing he/she says
  • Keep your hands/palms open don't clench a fist if your hands are unfolded
  • Avoid scratching your face or other body parts
  • Smile! Even tho your probably not on camera
  • Keep your mouth closed (literally) unless speaking of course duh

If you follow these steps I think you will get that job! Good luck

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Interesting guide here. Are there any other steps to self preparation which could be taken into consideration?
  • SplamSplam Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    yay,
    using this guide I can get that job at microsoft I always wanted!
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Interesting guide here. Are there any other steps to self preparation which could be taken into consideration?

that should be all you need,, or one step before all of those, Go to college and get a degree
  • pookapooka New Arrival
    edited January 2011
    Can you list some body language things that exhibit a positive vibe?
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited January 2011
    pooka wrote: »
    Can you list some body language things that exhibit a positive vibe?

done
  • AD2011AD2011 Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    If they ask have you worked in this area before and you haven't...don't lie, they will know already or eventually. Be honest and say no, but add "but I'm willing/eager to learn and that you learn quickly"

I've gotten every job I've ever gone for 4 jobs in like 7 years, never been fired.

Say you're a problem solver, team player, can work effectively unsupervised, can communicate well verbally and in writing.

Put yourself in their shoes, what separates you from the dozen others going for the job?
  • AD2011AD2011 Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    In lacking skills required for the job exploit your strengths...perhaps you are a local to the area, know the place well and are going to stick around for the long haul.

They know they have power over you, so exploit their power to exploit you...you need the money so theirs no way you'll fuck up a good thing.
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited February 2011
    If you really want a job, and will be willing to work anywhere. Throw your application out to any place you can think of. Even if you don't think you're qualified still put your application out. I've been actively looking for about 2 1/2 months, and I've had about 3 interviews, but I also put out close to 100 applications in that time. Always stay positive to, don't give up even if you think the odds are against you. Someone will eventually hire you.
  • uofmcamarouofmcamaro Regular
    edited February 2011
    Average wrote: »
    If you really want a job, and will be willing to work anywhere. Throw your application out to any place you can think of. Even if you don't think you're qualified still put your application out. I've been actively looking for about 2 1/2 months, and I've had about 3 interviews, but I also put out close to 100 applications in that time. Always stay positive to, don't give up even if you think the odds are against you. Someone will eventually hire you.

That is great advice.

For every 100 jobs you apply for you may go on a handful of interviews. For every handful of interviews you may not hear a thing more. The job market is flooded....remember that. You aren't the only person looking.

I may also add that the minute you get out the door from an interview you should drop a thank you note in the mail. That will be a constant reminder when they do get the note.
  • AverageAverage Regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the people who say they can't find work in this recession, either have a felony, or won't go to the places they think they're "above".
  • uofmcamarouofmcamaro Regular
    edited February 2011
    Average wrote: »
    won't go to the places they think they're "above".

There are people that are like that and it is just stupid.

First thing I would do if I lost my job would be to head straight to all the local restaurants and put in my resume. Some $$$ is better than no $$$. In the mean time after I got done with that I'd have to hit the job trail hard.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Moved from Money Money Money as a guide :)
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2012
    I seldom wear a full suite to interviews. Usually I remove the jacket.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited January 2012
    One thing I would add is speak with confidence when answering questions.
    Hell, your body language should reek of self-confidence (but not arrogance).
    Make it apparent that YOU are the right person for the job.
    Follow up in whatever way best suits you. Phone call, thank you note, etc.

The one time everything listed didn't work was because there was a hiring freeze about a week after I interviewed.
    Kind of the downside to interviewing with a company that occasionally imports their materials illegally. Or is suspected of such...
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Really handy guide, actually. It's common things like this which people need. To feel alone is to end all sense of confidence.
    I have only had one job interview (most of my income was being my own boss or family friends), but I had the attitude of "why would I want this job?". Always look to further yourself in the world, and confidence conbined with aspiration goes a lot further than thinking about a pay packet or your new commitment. Every job is a step on the ladder of life, so milk the most out of it and know that you are equal with the "Boss" of the company :thumbsup:
  • fagfag Regular
    edited January 2012
    Tip:
    Wear a green tie/oxford shirt. Green gives people the subconscious impression of success, wealth, good fortune, etc.
    Red, on the other hand, tends to be a power color, worn by the 'alphas' of a social circle. Wearing red might trigger some subconscious territorial reaction.