Illegitimately Acquired Laptops

PacoPaco me administrator
edited March 2012 in Man Cave
So, I am writing a screen play for a short film in which the main character is a hacker/klepto/etc.

I'm trying to keep everything as realistic as possible, and in one scene, he steals a netbook. He is a super pro hacker or whatever so he boots up bios and permanently disables the computer's "CompuTrace".

Would that be good enough? Or should I have him like, flash the bios as well?

After he does this he is going to slap Linux on it too.

Any and all feedback would be great.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2012
    How about if he removes the EPROM and solders in a new one?
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited February 2012
    How about if he removes the EPROM and solders in a new one?

Doest sound as exciting I guess.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2012
    What make netbook is it? If its a DELL and you flash the bios it will still retain it's activation number unless you change the chip. But in bios after you crack the activation number with a script, (on another puter) you can disable the security settings. Toshiba is a simple jump behind the ram to reset bios and acer is a battery wire pull. So is HP ... If you are in control of the bios in a netbook then the world is your oyster. Format HD with a linux live cd or gparted live to terminate any file share activated software hidden in the system and to terminate that pain in the ass 2MB partition HD lock most netbook HDs come with pre-installed. New OS and your haX0r is good to go.
    edited February 2012
    Paco wrote: »
    After doing some research, I found out that running Linux on the machine renders computrace completely useless.

Also, check out this sweet paintjob.
    Kinda reminds me of when you run a linux os and use the linux xp gnome look thing. You know! "Is it linux or is it a Windows"
    That color is the same. "Is it PC or is it Mac?" :p
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited February 2012
    Anyone know where I can get a replacement charger for this specific laptop? I seem to have misplaced mine.
    edited March 2012
    One of these? ....... CMH4Q.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Not sure what it looks like, but the laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad x120e.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited March 2012
    you can buy chargers from ebay for super low prices.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    I found it funny how OP started out with the story and then posted the Laptop picture and now is asking for a charger :D. Clearly he is doing some real research on this project.
    edited March 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    I found it funny how OP started out with the story and then posted the Laptop picture and now is asking for a charger :D. Clearly he is doing some real research on this project.
    Still makes sense bro.
    He's a Super pro hacker who stole a Lenovo Thinkpad x120e but forgot to steal the power lead. Now he's looking for a cheap one on a forum that is more than likely being monitored by local law enforcement. This story is getting exciting ..... I think I'm cracking a chubby. :eek:

M0AR PAC0!!!!
    edited March 2012
    The thinkpad is the only laptop we have to use as a prop. Yup. Either way, we decided that the laptop actually working wasn't important for the scene, we're just gonna rotoscope simulated screens in.

The End.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited March 2012
    Wait, a pro hacker "forgets" the charger?

Unlikely.

Better he finds it faulty or something.