Is google playing good cop bad cop?

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited March 2012 in Spurious Generalities
Damn! It's not what I expected from google...:eek: Good on them if they mean it. Fuck them if they don't
I was wondering how facebook, youtube etc were bypassing the copyright laws. "DMCA" I guess you need to be in the golden circle to be accepted. :confused:
Google Defends Hotfile (and Megaupload) in Court

Google has filed a brief at a federal court in Florida defending the file-hosting site Hotfile in its case against the MPAA. The search giant accuses the movie companies of misleading the court and argues that Hotfile is protected under the DMCA’s safe harbor. Indirectly, Google is also refuting claims being made by the US government in the criminal case against Megaupload.

In February 2011, the MPAA announced a lawsuit against Hotfile, one of the Internet’s most popular cyberlocker services.

The site’s popularity is “a direct result of the massive digital theft that Hotfile promotes,” the movie industry group said.

Two weeks ago the movie studios asked the court to issue a summary judgment against Hotfile and shut the site down. The MPAA argues that Hotfile is a piracy haven that should not be eligible for DMCA safe harbor protection.

This request didn’t go unnoticed by Google, who have now filed an amicus brief in support of the file-hosting site. According to Google, the movie studios are misleading the court by wrongfully suggesting that Hotfile is not protected by the DMCA.

What makes this even more interesting is that many of the arguments made by Google are also relevant to the criminal indictment against Megaupload.

In their brief, Google points out that YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Wikipedia are able to thrive because they are protected by the DMCA. But, if the MPAA has its way, these and other services will be in serious trouble.

http://torrentfreak.com/google-defends-hotfile-and-megaupload-in-court-120319/

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    No, they're actually covering their asses, like it mentioned if MPAA has it's way, twitter and other social networks would be next.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2012
    ^Ed Zachery
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    No, they're actually covering their asses, like it mentioned if MPAA has it's way, twitter and other social networks would be next.
    That makes sense. :thumbsup:
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited March 2012
    What surprises me is you can watch a load of films on youtube for free. This one was uploaded over a year ago.