What's the best way to make a letter bomb?

edited June 2012 in Man Cave
I was just reading about letter bombs - explosives hidden inside mail which then explodes when it's opened. How easy is it to make one of these explosive devices and what's the best way of doing it?

Comments

• GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    This looks like a promising text file that describes the making of one: http://textfiles.com/anarchy/letter.bomb
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited August 2011
    may be putting some kind of air activating substance inside
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited April 2012
    If you could get something into an envelope that ignites when contacted by oxygen. That'd be 'effective'.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2012
    There is oxygen inside of envelopes.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited April 2012
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2012
    What about a trigger mechanism? I have seen a few with string or contacts that are pulled/activated with the paper is pulled from a letter. In doing so only the recipient or person who opens it will be affected. Also there's no point using black powder/shrapnel unless it's a parcel. You want a small but high speed burn.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited April 2012
    Not sure how you could go about making a letter bomb. An actual package, however, would be easily doable. Look up Unibomber.

Even a simple striker with some acetone peroxide would be more than enough.
    edited April 2012
    13579 wrote: »
    Not sure how you could go about making a letter bomb. An actual package, however, would be easily doable. Look up Unibomber.

Even a simple striker with some acetone peroxide would be more than enough.

Just make sure the Acetone Peroxide isn't going to go off too easily as anyone handling the parcel too roughly can set it off. Almost took my leg off with a tube of that stuff in my pocket when I was walking on an icy pavement lol.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited June 2012
    watch what you say in this thread rember keep it education only not actualy doing what it says
    edited June 2012
    Had a knock at my door this morning but was just a friend. Will keep my hands clean :)
  • edited June 2012
    Nothing I post on here is actually shit I'd do in real life, unless I was making a letter bomb for my own personal curiosity just for kicks or to understand how they work. It's all educational on here!
  • cry0cry0 Regular
    edited June 2012
    I forget where I read it, I will have to find it for you, but I once read a guide on making a simple explosive that you could dip paper into, and it wouldnt smear ink or distort the paper at all. Just write a letter, fold it, dip, dry. In the envelope, on the far edges, bend a matchbox strike pad (striker on the inside) and glue into the envelope on either side. Insert ballistic letter into the envelope with the striker wrapping around the letter. Carefully sprinkle match dust between the letter and striker on all sides. When the person pulls out the letter the match dust rubs against the stiker, lighting, and then it ignites the explosive paper.