So, how are things going 'round the old, old .info?

HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Regular
edited June 2012 in Spurious Generalities
So, what is new 'round these parts? Who is still hanging around? Any new faces?

Before anyone flips a tit, I was gonna throw this in HB, but there doesn't seem to be a HB anymore.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2012
    hi,

In the middle of renovating, people come and go. Core member generally around.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Regular
    edited June 2012
    hi,

In the middle of renovating, people come and go. Core member generally around.

That is the jist I am getting from looking around. Tell me though, what is the number of posts to get an avatar? 100ish? I can't remember.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    Check again :)
    edited June 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    Check again :)

:p

3char
  • edited June 2012
    Pretty much what Slartibartfast said to be honest! Core members stick around, others come and go but I just can't drag myself away from this community completely. No matter what happens, I'll still call this place my home :thumbsup: Great people here.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    trx100 wrote: »
    Pretty much what Slartibartfast said to be honest! Core members stick around, others come and go but I just can't drag myself away from this community completely. No matter what happens, I'll still call this place my home :thumbsup: Great people here.

^An example of great people.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Same as Trx here. Just finished University so taking life easy for a while before Summer. People come and go but we can hope the decent ones will stick around and contribute :)
  • edited June 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Same as Trx here. Just finished University so taking life easy for a while before Summer. People come and go but we can hope the decent ones will stick around and contribute :)

Speaking of which, I want Chippy back :( I know he was just about ready to leave this place anyway, and he just missed out on our surge of upgrades which is a shame. And Dr Rocker, he was awesome.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited June 2012
    Fuck even I'm still here lol
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2012
    Spinster wrote: »
    Fuck even I'm still here lol
    QFT! :thumbsup:
    edited June 2012
    Very true, Trx. I miss those two. Real shame. I feel like I lost 2 friends in real life.
  • edited June 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Very true, Trx. I miss those two. Real shame. I feel like I lost 2 friends in real life.

Yup, same here. Fuck it, I might try and get in contact with him and see if he's up for a chat. Chippy that is, I wouldn't know where to start with Buddha other than PMing him on Totse2.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited June 2012
    I have read what he thinks about us. Good luck gettin him back, Buddha that is.
    edited June 2012
    What happend to the orange boxes that signifies a new post in a thread? They made things so much easier.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    What happend to the orange boxes that signifies a new post in a thread? They made things so much easier.

Theme coloring flaw. Let me check.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited June 2012
    Speaking of which, I want Chippy back :( I know he was just about ready to leave this place anyway, and he just missed out on our surge of upgrades which is a shame. And Dr Rocker, he was awesome.

YHALLOTHAR.

What happened with Chippy and his court case for driving with no licence / insurance?

I have been busy.

Making Wood burning stoves with reburn functions

2vhuiy9.jpg

Making a small forge with a hair dryer providing the air

hrlpn5.jpg

And using said forge to make the obvious, among other things.

nou9n7.jpg

I read Atlas Shrugged. Took about a week. If you have not read it, read it.

On top of going to work, looking after my garden and my truck (yay, the steering bearings and wheel bearings gave up, that was a fun job), making bacon and sausages, building BBQ's and doing welding favours for people, doing quite a bit of woodwork and I became a parent.

I have six months paternity leave at the moment.

My Wife has accepted the fact that I will not buy kitchen units and she is now happy for me to make the kitchen units and doors, so have to get busy with that - still have to finish my screw driven fence for my table saw and should be picking up a planner thicknesser this week.

Will post the kitchen once it is done if I remember.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    ^Fuck, Mad respect.
  • edited June 2012
    Jesus christ Rocker, that's awesome! I wish I was skilled enough to make things like that :(
    What happened with Chippy and his court case for driving with no licence / insurance?

No idea. Chippy left without returning a while ago, he hasn't been online at all from the looks of things (haven't seen him on here, on Skype, on TS or anything). Maybe he got fucked over for the no insurance, or maybe he just got bored.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited June 2012
    dr rocker wrote: »

2vhuiy9.jpg
    Fuck! That's pretty cool. Did you use some sorta gas bottle? :confused:
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited June 2012
    Jesus christ Rocker, that's awesome! I wish I was skilled enough to make things like that :(

Learn to measure accuratly. Buy tools and practice. If you want to learn to weld, more than likely a college nearby that will do night classes, or find someone that can weld and does so as a hobby and learn from them. You could teach yourself, but the majority of people who try to teach themselves from scratch pack in after a few goes. I did learned at school, back in the day when you were allowed to use the machines rather than learning about safety for years and years.
    bornkiller wrote: »
    Fuck! That's pretty cool. Did you use some sorta gas bottle? :confused:

I used two - the ones I had were not big enough for what I wanted. Cut the top off one (which became the forge) and the bottom off another and welded them together, thne cut a door and the hole for the chimney. Welding the chimney in was a job, the chimney is 1.2mm steel, the gas bottle 3mm, so had to have the welder on a decent setting to get pentration on the bottle meaning the power could and did burn through the chimney, just welded the holes up.

ek57us.jpg

You can see the reburner in this picture. It is a bit of scaffold in a Z shape, but with 90 degree angles - it goes out of the back of the bottle low down and I have made a valve with a bit of threaded bar welded into it and a small metal plate with a nut welded into it so you can screw the valve open and closed. When the fire gets up to temp, you open the valve a little, air is draw in and heated as it is pulled through the scaffold which causes combustion of the smoke the fire is giving off, making it very efficient, almost no smoke and verry hot.

The stove gets cherry red where the chimney is welded on and if you build a good fire, flame out of the chimney like a jet engine, but that is running it too hot. That one was a prototype for some ideas I was having, going to build a one in the future with a boiler when I build my next greenhouse.

The forge is just the top of a scaffold bottle with a T piece made from scafold welded on for the hair dryer to attach to and the bottom end blocked up with 3 bits of scaffold welded on for legs. Gets hot enough to melt steel, have welded steel with it too. When I get some free time I am going to weld up a steel crucible for melting aluminium in as I have some stuff I want to cast.
    edited June 2012
    I envy you, rocker. With all your motivation and the like. It takes me forever to read a book and what I'd do to get my building skills down to a tee...

Nice job :)