London's new skyscraper - The Shard

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited July 2012 in Spurious Generalities
I recall walking past this a load of a times whenever I went to the Capital and it didn't look big at all (as in diameter) but how wrong I was as we are now catching up to other Cities around the World, despite some thinking it's good, others thinking not and Nick Clegg sitting on the fence with a splinter up his arse as always.

The new addition to the skyline of London, which was designed on the back of a napkin in Germany by and mostly financed by Dubai/Qatar, is now finally open. Hooray for Human Rights abuses and an addition to London to bring corrupt businessmen here which will no doubt be the backdrop for films like a new "Rock'n'Rolla" (a film where a wealthy Roman Abramovich-type was buying property in London). And just to rub it in, I used to ride our Horses round his Country estate near our house. Ooh yeah.

Anyway, enough gloating - time for some history! The Shard had come under security concerns in April, a year after a group of awesomely talented and insanely ballsy Urban Explorers managed to get past Security AND CCTV to scale the height of the then-incomplete and bloody gusty, windy building. Here are some amazing photos, too. Beats the official ones taken on a murky, cloudy day.
Pictures:

the_shard_n270211_2.jpg

Under construction

_46992006_shard6.jpg

Almost done - the eye of Sauron would fit perfectly in there!

250px-Shard_London_Bridge_May_2012.JPG

Et voila! A monument to all the drunken bottle fights and the leftover shards found in the morning across all British City centres late at night...perfect!

A massive photo of the laser opening tonight, thanks and credit to WholeWideWorld from www.reddit.com/r/london

Ok so enough of my painfully annoying cynicism. It looks alright. Not completely my style despite liking almost everything Futurist but it is the tallest building in Europe (take that, Eiffel Tower and the previous record holder - the Commerzbank Tower in Frankfurt). The viewing gallery, so I am told, will be open February 2013 and charge £25 (approx. $38.80 - thanks XE converter) per adult, but the views are of course, never before seen over London unless you got some help. Say, you're a migrating bird or flying from a local airport. When I was in a Helicopter over the Capital, I could see all the way past the M25, and the Shard offers a similar view, seeing just shy of that distance I could see if it's a clear day. Loving how it says "splendid isolation south of the Thames" playing into the hands of oppositions seeing as Southwark/South bank is Hipsterland, too. :p
Helichopter.jpg

Yes, I had to put that in here - it's small because I had a HDD break on me and they were recovered from my old Facebook account :(

Statistics for the Shard can be found here, and here is a video news report along with one from those who do not think The Shard is suited to London's skyline and think Manhattan would be better (plus they say the price is higher, which conflict with the £25 BBC report).. Anyway, come over, Yank tourists! Bring your devalued Dollar and give us it all and take a photo with our grenadier Guards with their big, fluffy bear-fur hats *evil Limey laugh*

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2012
    angryonion wrote: »
    Hmm ... A "fuckyou commoners" philosophy ... I like his thinking. :cool:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    The comment about the gherkin made me chuckle. And I suppose he is right in a way (as there are lots of ways to interpret the building). Many people are suffering in the Capital with the way things are at the moment - but we have these extravagant displays of money and dumbed-down celebration (I'm looking at you, Royal Jubilee and Olympics).
    It's strange, that people complaining of a Government, be it the current one or previous - Labour, have screwed them over, yet don't look further than the Olympics, such as what the accommodation will be turned into, or where the money came from etc. It's just "Oh look! An amazing event, I'm so proud to be British!", which I feel is the same for this building, what with it being the tallest in Europe. The trade-off between that title and the ridiculous cost of it isn't worth it, and that's one reason why I can certainly understand where that Telegraph report comes from.
    edited July 2012
    I found this, written by the bastard, adopted Son of the Pink Floyd guitarist and vocalist Syd Gilmore
    Holidays have been cancelled to get the maximum number of boots on the ground, special courts are being set up to deal with Olympic crimes in which defendants will appear via video-link ‘to prevent traffic jams’, and, of course, there are the missile batteries being placed on the roofs of apartment blocks - to the horror of the residents beneath.
    It feels more like a revenge on East London than the promised regeneration. If recent history is anything to go by, it won’t be taken lying down.

Link.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited July 2012
    It'll be cool to go to the very top of that thing. I bet the view is just fantastic.
    edited July 2012
    It'll be cool to go to the very top of that thing. I bet the view is just fantastic.

To be fair, I'd love to go up it.