Restricting limitations on Windows XP accounts?

ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
edited July 2012 in Tech & Games
At work we have about 18 laptops that need to be sorted out for the next academic year. I was hoping to learn how to really limit the students accounts to the teachers. It's literally two Windows XP computer accounts just called "Student" and "Teacher", with the teacher account having admin rights, but there's nothing stopping a child going into control panel and changing the colour system, or giving them self admin rights.

What I'm asking is, is there a way to give them almost no control over the computer itself? A way to stop the kids being able to screw things around?

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    Microsoft's TweakUI might be what you're looking for. It can remove a lot of taskbar and context menu entries (from view).

EDIT: A limited account shouldn't be a able to change to Admin (obviously), are you sure they don't all have an Admin account?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2012
    Are the machine FAT32 or NTFS?
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited July 2012
    Microsoft's TweakUI might be what you're looking for. It can remove a lot of taskbar and context menu entries (from view).

EDIT: A limited account shouldn't be a able to change to Admin (obviously), are you sure they don't all have an Admin account?

They're definitely not admin- I was really confused by this as well. I'll give your program a try.
    Are the machine FAT32 or NTFS?

They're NTFS.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2012
    A) NTFS Filesystem
    B) Windows Account Policy
    C) Power user Account

Put simply there is an account management tool in the administrative tools where you can restrict users. Also they're are tons of tools out there that can help you. Try software by nirsoft.
  • edited July 2012
    I second TweakUI, I've used it before (for some reason, I have no idea :facepalm:). Create yourself an admin account, set the kids to a very locked down account with very little privileges. Then you can use TweakUI to hide a whole bunch of stuff from their view. Make sure you disable command prompt, the "run" dialog and anything else which could be used to cause mischief.

One other tip - install Firefox and get them to use it.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2012
    Or you could just set up a Windows 2003 server and create group policies.
  • edited July 2012
    Whatever you decide to do, let us know. Hell, you might even be able to write up a guide on doing it if you manage to get it all working properly. I'm certain the internet needs more guides on this subject, seeing as you had to make a thread about it in the first place! :D