A day to celebrate: Fuck you, ACTA

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited July 2012 in Spurious Generalities
Finally, those unelected bureaucrats in the European Parliament and their lobbyists who pay them and jab them into supporting their interests, have at last listened to the cries, protests and efforts of the public across Europe!
oday at 12:56 CET, the European Parliament decided whether ACTA would be ultimately rejected or whether it would drag on into uncertainty. In a 478 to 39 vote, the Parliament decided to reject ACTA once and for all. This means that the deceptive treaty is now dead globally.

This is a day of celebration.
mep-win.jpg

European Parliament Members after the vote

Pretty happy now. I know they will try and introduce more, similar laws under different names, but always remain vigilant against this. Who knows what may happen next time - outlaw types of protests and then go for it for a better chance of success to pass an ACTA-style law? Or keep it quiet until the day of election? Get American powers involved and subversively sabotage protest groups?
Who knows. Only time will tell, but until then, Europeans can celebrate, toast their fellow freedom-lovers and relax, safe in the knowledge that for once, the European parliament which is famous for passing stupid laws, finally blocked one.

More via TorrentFreak.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2012
    I guess we won our freedom again. Time for some fireworks!
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    So what do Europeans think of the EU parliament? It looks like a disaster from my vantage point. Europeans are too culturally and economically different to have single representation. What does a German and a Greek have in common?

I got weary of the EU when they forced Ireland to agree to the Lisbon treaty by asking them to "vote correctly" for the second time.

Another low point was when they got rid of the former Greek PM for suggesting a referendum on the EU. Not to mention the unelected technocrat in Italy.
  • cry0cry0 Regular
    edited July 2012
    ACTA is dead... now to kill CISPA. Honestly, I wish the original Cyberarmy was still around... they had a really great mission. It was essentially like this place (Or more correctly, a cross between tM if you guys remember that, and HackThisSite) but geared to be a hacker training ground that stood by the concept that the internet is essentially it's own nation, populated by the people that access it.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    So what do Europeans think of the EU parliament? It looks like a disaster from my vantage point. Europeans are too culturally and economically different to have single representation. What does a German and a Greek have in common?

I got weary of the EU when they forced Ireland to agree to the Lisbon treaty by asking them to "vote correctly" for the second time.

Another low point was when they got rid of the former Greek PM for suggesting a referendum on the EU. Not to mention the unelected technocrat in Italy.

Here in the UK and from my travels around Belgium, France and Spain, the EU Parliament is not liked at all. It's seen as an unelected powertrip which in essence, it is. Britain is pretty far removed from Europe geopolitically and so we don't like the fact there is some random person elected in a shady, quietly-announced election. I think the UKI Party say it well -

Honestly, they are fucking nasty by implementing laws on the sly and the younger people don't seem to give a shit. Love the fact he says Belgium is a "non country", and now Germany seems to be running the EU, I said in one of my lectures that it seems like a fourth Reich. Of course, I got shouted down and whatnot.

In short - we hate it, and those who don't accuse those who do of being fascist Nationalists, which is a weak-ass argument.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    There are mirrors and ways to get around it. I've seen no change to my ISP speed yet but maybe Europe is taking things a bit slower.

Also there's another bill similar to SOPA being introduced in the States. It never ends :angry: