Running Car on Compressed Air? Airpod does it.

DfgDfg Admin
edited August 2012 in Man Cave

The Tata AirPod is a city car running on compressed air (as well as a battery-powered electric motor). The ease of converting air into an energy source using simple compressors means charging stations can be placed anywhere, and they require no provisioning — no trucks delivering gas, ethanol, or hydrogen — and they produce no emissions, just discharge of the air.

The AirPod can run 125mi (200k) at a top speed between 28 to 43mph (45 to 70kph). The car is intended for a single rider, and has a small cargo area in the back.

This is breakthrough design: it undercuts most of the negatives of the system it is designed to replace. And unlike other alternatives to traditional cars, it does not require an entire supply chain to exist before becoming practical in a single location. A city like New York could roll out a citywide fleet of AirPods Just like it is rolling out a bike sharing program (although the city’s bike share program has been delayed). It doesn’t need to build nuclear reactors, or deal with some hard-to-transport alternative fuel. In fact, New York City could simply repurpose existing gas stations or parking lots with compressors, and card readers.
Totally awesome. Here’s the future. There Just need to make them stackable, like this:

stackable-cars.jpg

Looks awesome, I wonder if it can survive getting rammed by other cars.

Comments

• SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited August 2012
    Yeh i have heard of this, its quite clever.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2012
    just don't go uphill.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2012
    Spinster wrote: »
    Yeh i have heard of this, its quite clever.

That is until you find yourself out of air and 50 miles from a compressor with no fitting for your valve.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2012
    That is until you find yourself out of air and 50 miles from a compressor with no fitting for your valve.

Not to mention that they are just plain hideous. Maybe if they came up with an aesthetically pleasing design.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited August 2012
    I think Dfg was just saying they should make them stackable like the that pic. That is not the actually car the runs on compressed air :)
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2012
    Cool idea & interesting as fuck but definitely not a bitch magnet
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I hope it takes off. But the thing I hate about these companies is that because it's new technology and modern they make it look absolutely hideous, same with some of the electric cars. Why don't they just design it like a normal car?

Not sure about the joystick either. Just use a normal steering wheel please, I'm sure if you did allot of driving with a joystick it might make your hand ache.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2012
    Not sure about the joystick either. Just use a normal steering wheel please, I'm sure if you did allot of driving with a joystick it might make you hand ache.
    Actually! You're probably right. That joystick could possibly cause havoc with the wrist after a while. Perhaps a playstation controller or sumtn. I can hold one of those for days.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited August 2012
    I wonder if this is available in Canada. I'm interested for sure. Not to mention that you can get one for $10, 000.