I am to be a father.

ArkansanArkansan Regular
edited September 2012 in Spurious Generalities
So in nine months time I'm gonna be a dad. The wife is about 5 or so weeks at this point. I am pretty fucking stoked and figured I had to share with you guys.

Comments

• IdiosyncrasyIdiosyncrasy Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2012
    Congratulations! I don't frequent over here very often, but it's an odd coincidence that this topic was at the top of the list. I'm a recent father as well with a baby of 6 weeks old, and I also live in Arkansas.

I wish you the best of luck, and congratulations again!
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2012
    Good job Arkansan

Name the kid TOTSE.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2012
    Congratz to all 3 of yous.

Arkansan: For becoming a soon to be father. (Awesome news bro. :))

Idiosyncrasy: For the new addition to the family. (I bet you're all clucky and shit....Amirite? :D)

Slartibartfast: For the fine choice in name. :thumbsup:
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited August 2012
    Good luck with that,your going to need it.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2012
    Congratulations Bro! :CDANCE: I very happy for you and the misses. Be sure to teach the child to think for itself like all of us.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited August 2012
    Congratulations on the kid.

I don't how but be the best dad that kid could have. He/she didn't have a choice on who his/her parent will be. At least you have the option on how you can raise your kid
  • IdiosyncrasyIdiosyncrasy Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    Idiosyncrasy: For the new addition to the family. (I bet you're all clucky and shit....Amirite? :D)

Haha pretty much. Thanks man.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2012
    Awesome, I always wanted a kid to train and teach him to become a Dragon. I guess your kid will do for now :p. Teach him good bro, and don't worry we will be here for him as well. Congrats and good luck. If you need anything, you know where to find me. Also, it would be a good time to start posting about parenting and researching things. It might actually give you a new mission in life and it will also help educate others. Totseans life is the section for that :).
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Really big congratulations Arkansan, it's going to be a completely different new world from now on :)

Nice to see you Idiosyncrasy, big congrats to you too! Perhaps you two can share advice lol :P
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the congratulations guys. Also congratulations to you Idiosyncrasy, nice to have another Arkansan about. Its been a whirlwind of activity around my place, family in and out, getting shit ready, making plans and what not. We have already decided to home school latter on, this is my last semester of school and after this the Wife will be staying home, both of us agree that public education is simply public indoctrination. She will do the general schooling, I will teach history, critical thinking, and the martial arts, and my younger brother who is an outdoors guru will teach him to hunt, track, trap and survive. My mom is a public school teacher so she knows how to guide u through all the bullshit testing the state will still require.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2012
    ^^ Great idea mate, I was home schooled myself and he/she will learn a heck of a allot more than the school system.

If I may offer my humble adivce: Make sure that he/she gets out allot and meets other children. The disadvantage of home schooling being that he/she will stay at home all day and might not get the social skills that other children will possess through school. Activities like swimming classes, martial arts classes, etc

You've probably thought of this already (as you said your mum is a public school teacher), but plan the lessons as if you were a school teacher. Sometimes teaching can be kind of aimless and unless you have an objective in sight (like, this week I'm going to teach you subtraction and addition) then nothing much is achieved. Set goals for weeks, months, and the year in general creating lesson plans for the weeks to fit around those goals.

Also, I understand your feelings about school and believe me I share them, but at some point he/she is going to have to enter into that system to get qualifications. Make sure the teaching is loosely based around the government education (by looking at current textbooks from each year) so that when he/she enters into it it wont throw her and he/she will able to complete her qualifications easily :)

See if you can get his/her into reading books as a past time hobby. That kind of thing seems to have died due to technology, and it needs to be brought back. Reading, grammar, and vocabulary will be improved as a side effect of that. Same goes for colouring.

I don't know whether I've been speaking complete rubbish or not, or whether I am indeed qualified to give an opinion or advice anyway but I thought I'd put down what I was thinking :)
    edited August 2012
    All sound advice GoingNowhere. The socialization aspect is something we had thought about, fortunately he will have plenty of cousins similar in age, my Jeet Kune Do instructor who is a trusted family friend also runs an excellent, albeit small program for children. The day to day teaching will be more carried out by my wife with a curriculum devised by my mother, I will be working and I am just to scatter brained to manage it on a daily basis, although I will work with him everyday after work on a more ad hoc what interests him basis. I hope that he will be a reader when he is older, his mother does from time to time and I am an avid reader, we also don't really watch T.V. at home so I don't think it will be something he is much exposed too. Thanks for your advice, it's all food for thought.
    edited September 2012
    Just left the doctors, there was no heart beat.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited September 2012
    Shit, I know how you feel, sucks but what can you do?
    Its not your fault things just roll a certain way.there is not much you can do about it.
    Me and my wife went through this three times I can relate believe me.
    In the end I'm better off without kids and the kids are better off without me:frown:
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, sucks big time. The doctor made a face when he started the ultra sound and I knew some shit was up. He said this actually happens 1 in 5 times. Sorry to hear you have gone through the same, i can't imagine three times. I am sure you would make a fine father, like you said though just how the dice roll some times. Mrs. Arkansan is taking it hard, I hate it too but I can't be anything but positive in front of her right now.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2012
    Sorry to hear that Arkansan mang. :(