The Mob's IT Department

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited July 2015 in Tech & Games

An article at Bloomberg relates the story of two IT professionals who reluctantly teamed up with an organized criminal network in building a sophisticated drug smuggling operation. "[The criminals were] clever, recruiting Van De Moere and Maertens the way a spymaster develops a double agent. By the time they understood what they were involved in, they were already implicated." The pair were threatened, and afraid to go to the police. They were asked to help with deploying malware and building "pwnies" — small computers capable of intercepting network traffic that could be disguised as power strips and routers.
The purpose was to steal PIN codes and hijack MSC's containers.
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-mob-technology-consultants-help-drug-traffickers/
Tagged:

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    Fuck getting into that sorta predicament. Do I feel sorry for them? Nope . If they took the payout they're guilty as fuck.
    That was a a really interesting read by the way. Cheers. :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    Well, that sucks.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    I'd have done exactly the same TBO. You can't really say no to them or their money. 
    I'd have done exactly the same TBO. You can't really say no to them or their money. 
    I believe they could've said no to their money, at least that would have shown they opposed the reasons, but hell, honestly. Who could turn down 25K a hit? Out of all the countries Hacking Team supplied their services to Mexico was their biggest financial earn. If one does the maths you'd think the US would be HTs true jackpot considering the size of the US system compared to Mexico's. So I think it's safe to assume that they were pretty much supplying the drug cartels more than they were the Mexican government. ....... My conclusion is, it must be all good to roll with the boyz in the hood, at least until somebody hacks you and puts your shit online. :D
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    They might force you to take the money so you can be complicit in the crime. As an extra incentive to keep quite. 
    I think it was because their business was going off the rails and they needed the money to try & set it back on track.