I assume your familiar with the Ashley Madison dating service hack?

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited August 2015 in Spurious Generalities
If you aren't and your online then you must be living under a rock or something along those lines. Anyways! It goes like this.

Ashley Madison are owned by just another greedy corporate type organisation called Avid Life Media. It's basically your usual dating service but also caters to discreet non committed hookups. Kinda like the ones where you'd like to fuck around on your gf or bf, you know that sorta shit.

Some sort of moralist is like, all upiddy about the concept, "man meets woman for quick discreet root online" (or vice-versa) and decides Ashley Madison is the scourge of the internet. It kinda feels like they got burned by this type of scenario, and is really pissed off, but then again who am I to judge? I'm pissed off most of the time.

Anyways, they decide to hack into the Ashley Madison server and gain access to a generous portion of their client data. They tell Avid Life Media to take down their sleazy slutty Ashley Madison dating website or they'll publish the data exposing all their client's email addresses complete with credit card numbers. All seems to being going to plan until Avid Life Media being the most dumbest pig headed organisation can only see a financial loss rather than client trust.

Well, Avid's time is up and these hacktivists have released the hounds with some apparently interesting results. For example; Someone searched for political and came up with this list. However, you'd need to confirm it by going through it yourself. Sure some of the emails addresses maybe bullshit, because lets be honest, who in their right mind would be fucking dumb enough to use their own names in a email address involved with a dating service? Surely not those we entrust to run a country right? To confirm the authenticity one needs to just check out the last 4 digits on the corresponding credit card numbers to the email address..

http://gizmodo.com/the-ashley-madison-hackers-just-released-all-of-their-s-1724920693
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/08/data-from-hack-of-ashley-madison-cheater-site-purportedly-dumped-online/

Comments

• Yeah was following this story and it's kind of a dick move. I mean fucking hell, let people do whatever they want. Jesus *deletes his account*
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    Bloody idiots using work emails. Bloody idiots using their real name. Bloody idiots using Ashley Madison.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    and bloody cheap skates for not just hiring a hooker considering the amount of money politicians make.
  • Those might not be real accounts. You can sign up using an e-mail address and start using it before validating it. So I could use literally any e-mail I want to sign up if I'm not being serious about finding anyone on it.
  • I'm sure at least 1/4 of them are probably legit just because of the quantity vs the realistic possibility that a lot of them are ignorant of how best to protect their identity. I mean, really! Who uses their real name as their email address or username anywhere? <.< >.>
    Cegstar wrote: »
    Those might not be real accounts. You can sign up using an e-mail address and start using it before validating it. So I could use literally any e-mail I want to sign up if I'm not being serious about finding anyone on it.
    Apparently the hack also included credit card details. Those card details confirmed the authenticity of some of those email. They didn't mention all of them though so I'm assuming a few were fake.
    I'm sure at least 1/4 of them are probably legit just because of the quantity vs the realistic possibility that a lot of them are ignorant of how best to protect their identity. I mean, really! Who uses their real name as their email address or username anywhere? <.< >.>

• It's hard to say how many of them are real, I'm sure some are. I know if I were to go on a site like that, I'd be using a fake/new e-mail address without my name in it, and a pre-paid Visa.
  • That's because you're a Totsean. Are there or have there ever been any Totsean politicians? Not sure if that would be a good or bad thing.
    That's because you're a Totsean. Are there or have there ever been any Totsean politicians? Not sure if that would be a good or bad thing.
    Haha.... For the sanity of humanity you'd hope not. :D