Doctor Who Season 9

Doctor Who has just started it's 9th season of the new series. I'm a big an of the show, and am excited about this season.
http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/5622553/Doctor_Who_article_story_large.jpg

I think Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman are the best combination yet. Season 8 was OK but marred by what was frankly terrible plots and cheap gag-joke writing. With them the show has veered out of sci-fi/fantasy to become fantasy/sci-fi. Which I don't like very much.

I think they are doing this because the show has reached huge audiences and successes, they're becoming careful not to over reach. Season 8 was mostly set in the past, for the same reason - It's cheaper and easier to do well compared to a futuristic episode.

The amount of times "the power of love" has saved the day recently has becoming embarrassing. I hope they tighten that up a bit.

I have't seen the season premier yet, as I'm half way through sense8 (more on that later) but will post my take on it soon.

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    I remember watching an ancient re-run of Dr Who when I was a little kid and it scared the fuck out of me. I haven't watched a Dr Who episode since (go on ..:(.. have your lolz) Kind of strange though because I liked horrors as a kid, they never really bothered me. But that fucken Dr Who had some scary arsed mother fuckers all up in his hood and shit.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    Yeah..they toned down the kids horror for the new series reboot...it's a little campy tbo
  • I thought it was a little campy. I tried to watch about 5 minutes of it once. I'm sure they touch on classic sci-fi themes though so more power to them. Anything to get kids into sci-fi is worth it.
    I was watching a canadian syfy series called Lost Girl. It basically has a secret group of weirdos called Fay, or Fei, or how ever the fuck it's spelt. The main character is a succubus and like almost everything on syfy it's as camp as fuck. The first few episodes were meh for me although the succubus did keep my penis entertained. Unfortunately her arse grew fat after one season and I started losing interest until the blond valkarie made her first appearence and my penis was like all happy and shit again.
  • edited September 2015
    You're a trooper. Even though some of my favorite books have been sci-fi, I can't seem to make it to commercial break on the syfy channel. Ever
    Gen_Why wrote: »
    You're a trooper. Even though some of my favorite books have been sci-fi, I can't seem to make it to commercial break on the syfy channel. Ever
    Yah, they have some pretty cheesy shit on the syfy channel alright. Some of it's almost humorous.

It's all been downhill since Battlestar Galactica.

I recently watched sense8 - if you can get over the overt homosexuality it's actually pretty interesting.
  • Well shit I wake up to my wife watching a soap opera everyday so it's almost like homosexuality on tv is par for the course.
    Tell me about it - If TV was a reflection of our society - we'd all either be Jewish or Gay.
  • Not that there's anything wrong with it. But it seems like the pace is relentless.

300px-DeathCampofTolerance11.jpg
    I watched an episode of glee once (Go on laugh! I dare you too bizsnitches.) and it made me rage, because it tried so hard to be politically correct of society acceptance.
    Personally I feel social acceptance is human evolution which is all good but glee basically tried so hard to force the point it had the opposite affect of its intentions. It's shows like this that create prejudice.
  • Fall in line prisoner