The Point of Life

DrakeDrake Acolyte
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Post what you think the point of life is or respond to someone else. I started off by quoting a post from the old totse to stimulate discussion. I'll try to post my take on the topic when I have more time.

“The point of life?
That's easy...

There's nothing to look forward to but years of disappointment, pain, heartache, despair and mindlessly slaving away as a mere pitiful cog in a machine designed to fulfill someone else’s agenda.
One third of your life spent sleeping, another third spent in a pecuniary rat race and all of it an oppressive manqué that is the embodiment of total futility.

Even though you are not worth loving, and are so eaten up by the caustic forces of life that you're incapable of truly loving anyone else - you'll find yourself beguiled by primitive hormonal impulses that lead you to marry someone who will despise you within a decade and together you make some ugly unimportant stupid whining little babies that will be every bit as much of a disappointment to you as you are to YOUR parents.

Arthritis, cancer, heart disease, impotency, lung disease, liver failure, gout, psoriasis, incontinence, depression, despair, aphasia losing your eyesight and hearing till finally senility makes you lose all cognitive control of your mind..
..but not your regrets.
No, not them...
Your regrets you keep with perfect crystal clarity until finally - after more heartache and pain than you can possibly yet imagine - death will take you and make you shit yourself in front of anyone left who might still harbor any feeling at all for your useless hulk of a life.

That's all there is.
Everything else is just part of the big lie.
Things don't get better.
Everyone you love will cause you pain.
All you aspire to will be denied.
Anything you accomplish will eventually fall into ruin.
All you are will be forgotten.

It all deteriorates and keeps getting worse as you sink ever deeper into an entropic quagmire from which only one possible escape is ever allowed.
The very best you can possibly hope for is that you get acclimated to all the bullshit just enough to keep on going through the mundane mediocrity that is your life without succumbing to opening up your wrists before the end of the ride.” Mizled.

Response to “Those who see the finer things in life are the happiest.”:

“In some ways perhaps, but conversely; that which is unseen is never coveted.
Acknowledgment of the finer things in life is, in some ways, a sort of surrendering to the desire to have that which is unobtainable - a first tentative step towards material discontent and spiritual longing.
Ignorance is said to be bliss, and the underlying truth of that dictum may be that the expectation of real happiness is the causitive agent of human discontent.”

“The point of life is to shamble through the shit and find the spots that don't seem quite so shitty to you.

Some people take comfort in believing in a happier afterlife, so that's always an option if you're gullible or easily self deluded.

Hedonistic excess and narcissistic debauchery is another viable option and a rather fun one at that...

Defining yourself by your social standing, your family or your job is still yet another avenue you can explore in your quest to assign validity and purpose to your life.

Whatever works for you.

There's no 'ONE' right answer, life's what happens to you while your busy making plans.
The 'Zero' option (the true answer that zero people are willing to accept) is accepting that life really has no point and that all attempts to attribute a point to life or a reason for it all is merely human vanity and the human egos attempt to validate it's own existence.” Mizled

Comments

• ObbeObbe Regular
    edited July 2010
    "Points" or "purposes" are imposed by you. Reality has no point, or purpose.

It's fun. It's a game. It's a dance.
  • BodilYFluidSBodilYFluidS Regular
    edited July 2010
    i don't agree with anything that has been said yet, especially anything by this "Mizled" character.

I'm here for one reason and one reason only, to experience as much of what this life has to offer as i can. i do this in hopes of finding out my purpose here before moving on if i'm allowed to. obviously if i didn't learn my purpose or the lesson i'm supposed to then i won't be allowed to move on and will be stuck here until i do.

i keep a positive energy about me in hopes of attracting the best things possible for me and the people around me. i feel like i'm on the right track because i've unraveled some pieces already. i'm far from done, but that's okay!

we all have the power to find our purpose and learn the lesson(s) we're here for, some people however see fit to just sit around wallowing in their own self pity... and they wonder why they think the things they do and are in the situations they are and feel the way they do!! they bring all of that to themselves by their attitudes/thoughts/actions.

i'm here to let you all know that listening to anything like what mizled said will most definitely bring you down.

listen to me and people like me and you will be much the happier for it. trust me, i wasn't always like this myself either!
  • ateate Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Inline with Obbe, the point, is to create one.
  • BodilYFluidSBodilYFluidS Regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah, it couldn't possibly be to learn, expand your awareness, and better yourself in all aspects of the life we're living to better prepare for whatever lay beyond... unless those just happened to be the points you made for yourself, ipso facto reitterating what i said myself.

i have laid down my very basic points, i'm just curious as to what your point in life is?

i'm not trying to be an asshole, this is just something i feel very strongly about. i've directed my life to coincide with what i believe i'm here for and i feel very blessed in being able to do and pursue that.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    The point in life for me is subject to rapid change depending what mood I am in, but overall I look at life as art. We are the artists and like obbe said, it's all a cosmic dance. Positive and negative don't seem important, just the intensity of the artwork matters.

On a human scale though I am all for evolution and knowledge expansion, it is just that the meaning is arbitray. There is no 'point', but you can make better art if you are always trying to elevate your perspective.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I look down at people who willingly put themselves at risk for such terrible diseases. Do people know how terrible things like cancer is? I would probably want to end my life before succumbing to such a terrible and painful disease.

I bet if half the wanna-be-cool teenagers had to assist a dying cancer patient for 6 months, they'd quit smoking.

Though some woman in france got to like 124 years old with 2 cigs a day. Wow :eek:
  • HippieTrippieHippieTrippie Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've currently come to a place where I believe that it is not only possible, but sensible that we are part of a larger system, and a smaller system, the systems repeat infinitely small and infinitely large. As systems run in atoms and atoms in matter in simple processes and elements as in cells in organs in us, in our system. We are like the material inside the cell that is our society and world culture, and somewhere is another cell similar, and one different, and so on until they make a system similar to us, etc.
    edited July 2010
    Are you greyfox?
  • HippieTrippieHippieTrippie Regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you greyfox?

Me or OP?
    edited July 2010
    Me or OP?

OP
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    Why do people always think everything has to have a purpose?

We are an accident formed billions of years ago when a bunch of atoms just so happened to collide the right way.
  • edited July 2010
    yeah, it couldn't possibly be to learn, expand your awareness, and better yourself in all aspects of the life we're living to better prepare for whatever lay beyond... unless those just happened to be the points you made for yourself, ipso facto reitterating what i said myself.

i have laid down my very basic points, i'm just curious as to what your point in life is?

i'm not trying to be an asshole, this is just something i feel very strongly about. i've directed my life to coincide with what i believe i'm here for and i feel very blessed in being able to do and pursue that.

You believe in teh after life ?
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    Nightside wrote: »
    I look down at people who willingly put themselves at risk for such terrible diseases. Do people know how terrible things like cancer is? I would probably want to end my life before succumbing to such a terrible and painful disease.

I bet if half the wanna-be-cool teenagers had to assist a dying cancer patient for 6 months, they'd quit smoking.

Though some woman in france got to like 124 years old with 2 cigs a day. Wow :eek:

Perhaps not everyone wants to live till the age where they can't control whether they shit their pants or not. Everyone's gonna die eventually.

IMO the point of life is just to have kids, have fun and leave a legacy.
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited July 2010
    From a biological standpoint it's to survive and reproduce.

Though whether or not you do that probably won't end up effecting much.

You gotta find you're own meaning, though, or you will likely end up alone, depressed, and a junkie/wino.

My purpose I believe is to win the lottery. It's a work in progress.
    edited July 2010
    jator wrote: »
    From a biological standpoint it's to survive and reproduce

Not anymore, being sentient us humans have effectively ended our evolution by all but halting natural selection.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    It's probably not that simple so as to have or to be a 'point'..
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    The point of life?

Honestly, this question just bugs me. Why does there have to be a point to life? Can't we simply sit back and try to enjoy it, experience everything it has to offer?
  • FiremindFiremind Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    I'll tell you what the point of life is, I'll be quoting myself...
    Nachismo:
    "Look nobody is perfect, but the is a "tremendous amount of human potential" being wasted all around here."

Firemind:
    Are you fucking kidding me?! You're joking right?! Humans are the epitome of this mundane and wretched thing we call existence. Everything! Have fucking taken a look at what we do to "live"? For my example right now, I'll use the grubby struggling of african wildlife. You look at some gazelles in a distant sun-lit field and inhale then say "Ah... So breath taking." "Get real" Fuck you! Look at the whole thing a lion or a pack of hyenas is finally going to track those fuckers down. One gazelle will see it out of the corner of it's eye then and run the rest will follow noticing the "threat". A few of the predators will outrun and kill one of them because slow or sick "or whatever". They'll tear it's throat claw at it's hide then eat it as it dies. Approximately 14 minutes later a once live gazelle will now be a bunch of bones and a pool of blood. Then the remains after a period of time, is covered in insects and varied larve are writhing in the moulding flesh. Then at some point the lion will be killed by human or another wretched animal. Or by disease! Then this fruitless and morbid struggle of disgusting a nature. Repeats.

Yep, Repeats! I can't even hope that it actually is destroyed. Because that would just be too good. The nature of "life" is so disturbing that if God actually existed it probably killed itself because of this intristic flaw. Everything that lives is most likely flawed. And this is no simple error. The fact that retarded shit rape and sodomy can actually occur is just MORE evidence. If there was not enough. With the fact that this planet is flawed out of a series of 9 planets whose to say there aren't more? All it'd be is murder just dressed differently Oh! And racisim amongst humans is a key flaw too. They're the only pathetic species that discriminates not only through families "Animal Kingdom", but a pathetic skin color variable. That is like black wolf packs and white wolf packs killing each other grotesque thing is they kill to eat. We do what they and more! Not that any of you miserable things are any better than the other.

Life never had potential, it essentially is flawed. Now I'm sure this applies to all you wet and slimey living organisms. But you "need" to kill another living organism to live? Weird huh, makes me think Darwins theory was error. Life insists on life, and if some don't "or never did" how could it have ever began? Would that not make the "primitive" ones better? They didn't have to do shit. Just splice themselves and consume elements and compounds. Also they could live in the most extreme environments multi-cellular life forms cannot even endure. You are the insignificant living ones! Well, you are destrucive... Ooo you have Nuclear weapons not that you stupid humans will actually use them. Then you lose all your third world slaves. And the first world ones.

See, it's not wasted this is life and we just take it. Accept it, like there's nothing we can do to change this. Well, we can "not" you have to destroy the planet. You heard me you have kill everything. I think if you burn the whole place that might work. You have government mass murder devices too! The whole thing would end, but you won't do that you lack the sense. Everything does!