Pulsejet project

1357913579 Death Cog Machine
edited July 2010 in Life
So, I've decided it's time I made what I've wanted to for the past 3 years.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_jet_engine
www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/
www.pulse-jets.com

Hopefully going to be made by the end of the school year, in my highschool metals shop. This gives me about 20 days.

I'm planning on a 20lbs thrust, V-type valve, propane fueled engine, and attaching it to the back of my old bicycle. I worked out all the math on the ferry the other day, going to cut all the pieces out with a plasma CNC machine and wirefeed it together.

My actual plans and dimensions, along with autocad files should be posted in the next few days, along with pictures of my progress.

Comments

• TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited May 2010
    Sounds pretty cool!! Make sure to post videos when you're done!!!
  • BodilYFluidSBodilYFluidS Regular
    edited July 2010
    we're waiting...!
  • Agent 008Agent 008 Regular
    edited July 2010
    When is the Totse RPG going to be released? :cool:
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    As soon as I can find the DVD with the game on it, I'll start working on it again. I had lots of characters, a few quests, lots of content and textures already done.

Also, since school is out for the summer, I have no access to metal working tools. Pulsejet has to wait for next year. Though, in place of it, I'm restoring a 1974 TY250A Trials dirtbike.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    Can't wait to see how it goes.
  • CrazzyassCrazzyass Regular
    edited July 2010
    This sounds freakin' awesome.
  • HeaTHeaT New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    Check out H2O2 fueled jet engines. Probably a bit more do-able. Force through silver gauze and BOOM, decomposition. All that oxygen goes a looong way ;) also, the decomposition is exothermic
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2010
    13579 wrote: »
    As soon as I can find the DVD with the game on it, I'll start working on it again. I had lots of characters, a few quests, lots of content and textures already done.

If you make this game I must be the main antagonist.
    edited July 2010
    HeaT wrote: »
    Check out H2O2 fueled jet engines. Probably a bit more do-able. Force through silver gauze and BOOM, decomposition. All that oxygen goes a looong way ;) also, the decomposition is exothermic

You need at least 70% h202. It's hard to get that stuff.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    You need at least 70% h202. It's hard to get that stuff.

Mmm. Took long enough to find 30% for a few 'Backyard Ballistics' projects. I was talking to a guy I met who is a hair-stylist (If you can call it that), and he tells me that to get high-concentrate h202 you actually need a license now.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010
    13579 wrote: »
    Mmm. Took long enough to find 30% for a few 'Backyard Ballistics' projects. I was talking to a guy I met who is a hair-stylist (If you can call it that), and he tells me that to get high-concentrate h202 you actually need a license now.

I've concentrated it to before by boiling. It smells quite strong and silver decomposes it very quickly. Light decomposes it too. If you get any on you, it oxidizes your skin and turns it white and itchy.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    ^^ We had a spill at work with some high concentration stuff a while back. I can't remember the exact concentration, but it was high enough to require Hazardous Shipping papers. Anyway, some idiot put a hazmat package on the main belt (a big no no for obvious reasons) and as I was pulling it off noticed that it was leaking. I pulled it off to the side and shut down the building then radioed for someone to bring a hazmat bin to my sort tower and running to the bathroom as I got some on my hands and it was burning a little bit, and for the short time it was on the rollers it actually ate away at the metal and at the rubber belt of the mainline before we could get the little bit that actually leaked out cleaned up. This was over a year and a half ago and you can still see where it sat. Oh yeah, the next day when I came in to work, two of the rollers were completely rusted solid.

Its not something you just want to play with and I can see why it would require a license or some sort of certification before someone is allowed to handle it.
    edited July 2010
    They call it an oxidizer for a reason.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited July 2010
    Try here. Its made for rockets.
    edited July 2010
    So freakin awesome!
    edited July 2010
    Uhh, h2o2 can be used to make a very simple...

JET PACK!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Rocket_Belt