Jobs, Your Jobs, Dream Jobs

iSoapeiSoape Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I feel this is self-explanatory, but alas, I'm curious... I know most of us are of age, legal to slave away our hard sweat, blood, and stool. So I ask of the community...

What is your job now?

Where do you hope to go with it?

What career are you aiming for?

And what is your dream job?

I'll start off with myself.

1) I work as a delivery driver for a Chinese company... now not the optimal job but let me tell you about it. It's under the table, I make over $20 an hour, I only have 3 hour shifts, I can ask off anytime, not show up, whatever, and not get fired. My friend took 2 weeks off, didn't tell them anything, they didn't care. They just want someone, anyone to deliver. Doesn't matter.

Brings me to the next point. They are laid back... as hell. I mean, wow... Wish I had this job years ago.

3 hrs a night, 5-8, $20+ an hour. Perfect for my college schedule.

2) I hope to keep this job until I make a career jump... I mean... 20 an hour! It can't be beat!

3) As of now, I've completed an Associates in Biology. I'm going for a Masters and when I get to that point, I'll think about getting a Doctorate...
I will work primarily in the Animal Sciences, Zoos, Reserves, whatever I can get my hands on.

4) Dream job? Fuck, go watch an episode of the Crocodile Hunter, that's my dream job right there. Travel the world, see animals, educate people about them, run a world renowned zoo. Amazing.

Y'all?

Comments

• BukujutsuBukujutsu The Angry Inch
    edited July 2010
    What do you do?

I've decided never to work for someone else again:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Refusal_of_work

I'm currently getting unemployment and foodstamps and I'm pretty happy with that. They give me way more than I need for food, so what I can do is find a receipt, buy the same items with my EBT card, then return them for cash with the receipt. I also make extra money from theft.

I hope to get SSI soon so my basic needs will be guaranteed to be met for life. As soon as I get back pay I plan to buy a car and insurance and travel around. It will also allow me to purchase equipment I need for higher level crimes.
  • Dumpster SlutDumpster Slut Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

aka burden on society
  • Swamp JunkySwamp Junky Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    1.) I do yard word for neighbors. It gets me a little bit of spending money.

2.) Nowhere. I'm trying to get a real job on the weekends though.

3.) I'm probably going to end up in the Army. Its easy money and you get to travel. I'm not too sure if I can/want to go to college. Plus I have absolutely no idea what I would major in.

4.) I would love to be an arachnologist, except I'm pretty sure they don't get paid too much. But I would really enjoy to get to work with tarantulas and learn new things about them.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited July 2010
    1) Worthless piece of shit who does nothing.
    2) Places.
    3) If I knew that I might not be so fucked up and worthless.
    4) Dream? Famous author. Famous as in I make enough money to survive comfortably. Complete dream? Independent researcher or NASA scientist with the multiple PhDs necessary to pioneer efforts in terraforming planets.

In other words my realistic dream job is to make my dreams into fiction. My dream job is to help make my dreams a reality.

LOLOL
  • CloudcatCloudcat Regular
    edited July 2010
    iSoape wrote: »
    What is your job now?

Where do you hope to go with it?

What career are you aiming for?

And what is your dream job?

1. Unemployed

2. I don't think my current career is right for me, so I hope to find a new one soon...

3. Realistically, the army. I've always wanted to be a Green Beret, so let's go with that. But at the moment, I'm just trying to get some part time work or something so I can settle some scores first of all.

4. Massively successful entrepreneur. A friend of mine might be getting a 20,000 dollar grant for one of her inventions, and she wants me to handle marketing and business management if it falls through. Unlikely though.
  • BukujutsuBukujutsu The Angry Inch
    edited July 2010
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

aka burden on society

Fuck society, I'm not a filthy collectivist. Do you really think you owe anything to other people and want your life to reflect that?
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    Bukujutsu wrote: »
    What do you do?

I've decided never to work for someone else again:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Refusal_of_work

I'm currently getting unemployment and foodstamps and I'm pretty happy with that. They give me way more than I need for food, so what I can do is find a receipt, buy the same items with my EBT card, then return them for cash with the receipt. I also make extra money from theft.

I hope to get SSI soon so my basic needs will be guaranteed to be met for life. As soon as I get back pay I plan to buy a car and insurance and travel around. It will also allow me to purchase equipment I need for higher level crimes.

You remind me of some transients I know...

HTS-Noob wrote: »
    1) Worthless piece of shit who does nothing.
    2) Places.
    3) If I knew that I might not be so fucked up and worthless.
    4) Dream? Famous author. Famous as in I make enough money to survive comfortably. Complete dream? Independent researcher or NASA scientist with the multiple PhDs necessary to pioneer efforts in terraforming planets.

In other words my realistic dream job is to make my dreams into fiction. My dream job is to help make my dreams a reality.

LOLOL

Terraforming planets will realistically start on anaerobic microorganisms. Maybe if we're lucky, we can use other planets' available water source to spawn algae. That's where it'll start if anything; it's not all that far-fetched.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    I work first tier of tech support for my company. We're the only tier really, that talks to customers. Everyone else is internal help.We pretty much do everything re: tech support ourselves.

I want to either move up in this company to an internal tech mentor or supervisor, or find a better IT job, preferably some sysadmin thing where I can fuck around most of the day and BOFH users while my automated stuff keeps everything running.

Real dream job: lottery winner
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited July 2010
    iSoape wrote: »
    Terraforming planets will realistically start on anaerobic microorganisms. Maybe if we're lucky, we can use other planets' available water source to spawn algae. That's where it'll start if anything; it's not all that far-fetched.

The far-fetched part is my being involved, not the capacity of the idea itself to become a reality.
  • Dumpster SlutDumpster Slut Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Bukujutsu wrote: »
    Fuck society, I'm not a filthy collectivist. Do you really think you owe anything to other people and want your life to reflect that?

me = apples

you = oranges